1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Daphne Greengrass and the Importance of Intent by Petrificus Somewhatus - T

Discussion in 'Romance' started by KrzaQ, Jul 21, 2019.

1. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Title: Daphne Greengrass and the Importance of Intent
    Author: Petrificus Somewhatus
    Rating: T
    Genre: Family/Romance
    Library Category:
    Pairings: Harry P./Daphne G.
    Summary: This is the story of how Voldemort and the tools he created to defy death were destroyed by Harry Potter and me while sitting in an empty Hogwarts classroom using Harry's idea, my design, and most importantly, our intent. Set during 6th Year.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13133746/1/Daphne-Greengrass-and-the-Importance-of-Intent
    OS-followups: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13232699/1/The-Importance-of-Intent-After-the-Credits

Found this a while back thanks to Scryer. Despite the unnecessary prologue, it was a very decent read. It focuses almost exclusively on the relationship between Daphne and Harry. It's written from Daphne's POV, and it seems to work well - her little mantras seem particularly fitting. Popular tropes are employed, but in reasonable fashion.

I'm curious what other folks think of it.

Checked by Sorrows 05/08/2019

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2019
  2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Read it the other day, it's a decent little story. Voldemort is the point but also he's not, if the war's what you're there for, it's going to be anticlimactic -- it's much rather romance with Voldemort as a metaphor; it's solely build around the interactions of Daphne and Harry, which also means there little to no HBP rehash. Characterisations are good if not exactly inventive; Dumbledore scratches the edge of manipulative-OOC-ness, but that aside, it mostly free of annoying clichés.

If you're looking for some bit of sixth year fluff, I think you'll enjoy it. 4/5

Edit: Oh, also, there's a collection of slice-of-life OS set after the story. The quality is the same, and they tie up a few loose ends.

3. Utsane

Utsane Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I love Harry/Daphne fluff, and this was full of it. I also love a good plot, and though this story wasn't exactly a beacon of plot-driven narrative, there was enough of a well thought out one to satisfy me.

The characterization was great, the interactions felt real, and I squealed a couple of times for good measure.

One of the better Harry/Daphne fics, and a wonderful look at a new solution to the Horcrux problem (though it probably took at least a little inspiration from Delenda Est).

4/5 from me for a great Harry/Daphne, and an extra 0.5 on top of that for an enjoyable read in general.

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For me this fic commits the same sin as a lot of Harry/Hermione fics, which is to upgrade the love interest from a supporting role to a place of equal importance in the plot to Harry. But the story of Voldemort's defeat should be Harry's story, and I have little patience for usurpers to Harry's role in that tale.

This kind of thing is increasingly common. It seems to be a knee-jerk reaction to all the fics where the love interest is nothing but arm candy with no real agency of their own. But these authors confuse agency with plot importance. A character can be fully fleshed out, with their own views, interests, abilities and social circle, without becoming important to the plot.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  5. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

This story, for all that it’s not Harry-centric, is fluffy romance, and has no real action to speak of.. was actually a fun little read.

The writing is mostly clear, the perspective was a bit strange but fun, and the story does well for what it is; a lighthearted romance idea with a semi-believable (if not gripping) plot.

It isn’t the most gripping, suspenseful tale to hit DLP’s For Review section by any means, but it is a decent way to pass some time. 3/5 from me.

6. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

... I guess?

It's competently written, and I did read all of it, but I also skimmed a fair bit.

My main gripe is that there's literally no conflict. There's no stakes. Harry and Daphne's relationship has zero bumps or complications aside from a token Slytherin/Griffindor tension thing and like a quarter of a chapter where they argue about something and don't talk for a couple days. Neither of those things is anything more than a speed bump. They have chemistry, but it's pretty lukewarm and the lack of zing there really makes the lack of outward or inward obstacles stand out.

And aside from the relationship, Dumbledore is a token semi-antagonist and that never goes anywhere. Draco doesn't do shit. Ginny's jealousy is handled in a mature, easy way. Hermione doesn't really have a problem with Daphne's smarts other than some token grumbling. Daphne's parents are 100% behind her and supportive.

It's just a straight line down the middle of a highway. Smooth and vaguely pleasant, but not super exciting.

The approach to the horcuxes was somewhat interesting, but moreso in a "that makes me think about where you could take that" rather than it really being all that compelling in this actual story.

I think a 3/5 here is on the generous side, but it's not outright bad, so 3/5 it is.

7. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I'll mirror this, except I didn't skim, I read every word. I have one rule when it comes to HP fanfic.

HP must be the main character. I didn't really like how Daphne was apparently some secret bigBrain, I also didn't like that they modified the killing curse to eradicate Voldemort's Horcrux's. The secrecy stuff harkens back to a time when Harry's first power up was always getting a posse to support him.

The focus on intent as a qualifier for casting magic is a bit annoying as well because I feel like they turned a magical theory piece into some shitty semblance of a story. Overall, I enjoyed it. I didn't outright hate it, I didn't find anything that made me want to outright stop reading.

3/5 is the best its going to get. Its a decent time waster, but there are many more stories that are much better than this, even though the test of time.

8. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

The Importance of Intent: After the Credits has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 10
    Words: 27,010
    Updated: 2019-08-21 23:29:24 UTC
    Published: 2019-03-13 03:46:21 UTC
    Previously updated: 17 days ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

9. Xion

Daphne Greengrass and the Importance of Intent has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 23
    Words: 71,712
    Updated: 2019-08-21 23:27:15 UTC
    Published: 2018-11-29 17:14:31 UTC
    Previously updated: 5 months ago

10. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

The story update itself was just the author pushing their side project After the Credits.

Which I have no motivation to read. Its already at 27k words of one-shots that are loosely connected. Anyone else read them that wants to go in depth about them?

11. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Basically. It's fluff and slice-of-life things; if you like the established characters (Daphne, Harry, Astoria), it's a nice way to spend some more time with them. I enjoyed them to fill in a lunch break or whatever. They aren't long, and not really connected.

12. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

Cutesy story that is pretty solid as a nice little palate cleanser, imo. Hits a couple of clichés, but they don't really overstay their welcome in my opinion. A lot of plot moving revolves around Daphne as the protagonist of the story, and perhaps too much in a story that's at least somewhat dealing with Voldemort.

Main gripes are that things work a bit too easily: there's basically no blowback to their relationship in a world where tensions should be inflamed to hell and back. It's an almost fairy tale relationship too, and while I do enjoy a fic where (part of) Harry's 'original' group of friends doesn't throw up stupid-ass excuses to him getting in a relationship, the way this is handled again feels easy. I get that the idea is fluff, but the amount of resistance to the two of them in the plot is basically zero.

That being said, if you want a timewaster or just something to lazily read while not expending too many brain cells, there's far worse options out there. Probably in the 3.5 area for me, so a 3/5 it is.

13. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

I think at this point we've reached such a saturation in the hp fanfiction community that original ideas like the focus on intent here are interesting to me. I also feel like the author made a very mature and intelligent choice to limit the length of the story to not wear out the welcome of the plot point.

The focus on romance and fluff though could have done with a higher word count. Their relationship is never well enough written to be believable past their initial meeting and interaction which I enjoyed. The story states that its happening in one chapter and that's it, at no point before that did I ever get the impression that the two liked each other.

Harry's letter at the start was filled with hogwarts house stretotypes and nearly turned me off the story completely. Also I think the story could do with a thesaurus because the overuse of brilliant really started to get to me.

3/5

14. Xion

The Importance of Intent: After the Credits has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 11
    Words: 30,368
    Updated: 2019-08-25 00:09:26 UTC
    Previously updated: 3 days ago

15. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 12
    Words: 34,575
    Updated: 2019-09-01 17:21:48 UTC
    Previously updated: 8 days ago

16. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I'm 7 chapters in. Holy fuck, this shit is *boring*. It's bland, it's generic. And coming from me, that's saying something. This is pretty much every Daphne story ever. Like, take them all, put them in a paint shaker, and this is what comes out. It doesn't really do anything wrong, but it really doesn't do anything at all.

It doesn't feel like there's a single original thought in this entire fic. It doesn't try anything new. Sure, it doesn't go that extreme with the tropes, but the tropes are all still there. There's shit in here that I was using in my Daphne fics a decade ago, and they were already dated by the time I came across them. And none of them are used in a particularly interesting way. They're just there. There's a hundred nameless fics that have already done this exact same thing. If there was every truly a pain-by-numbers story, this is it. Sometimes, that's all an author wants in order to farm reviews, but I want the shit I read to actually be entertaining rather than just being a time waster.

2/5

17. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 13
    Words: 37,647
    Updated: 2020-02-03 01:01:25 UTC
    Previously updated: 5 months ago

18. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 14
    Words: 42,907
    Updated: 2020-03-20 15:52:56 UTC
    Previously updated: about 2 months ago

19. vr32

vr32 Squib

It started okish, but then it turned to be just another story which shift from Harry's story and having another Mary Sue whom solves every problem and simply win the war.
    2/5.

20. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 15
    Words: 43,325
    Updated: 2023-11-29 04:26:57 UTC
    Previously updated: over 3 years ago
    New Summary:
    This is a compilation of one shots inspired by my story Daphne Greengrass and the Importance of Intent. If you enjoyed that story and would like to read more than you've come to the right place.