1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

D&DLP Campaign

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Antivash, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    ...I suddenly feel a lot better about how our campaign is going. And I died.

2. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Really if you want to blame someone for my character's actions blame @Arthellion. He's the one that wrote me into a corner once this happened :p

3. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I do not control anyone's actions. How could I know Johnny would shank a drunk?

Anyways:
    [​IMG]

4. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

How about when you made him serve Johnny's god's enemy?

5. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    lmao your god doesn't approve of waiting till you're out of sight of the guards to shank someone?

6. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Correction, Rassan ran away from the situation, and somewhat after Bilbo. Tylthaenys ran after Bilbo, to figure out what was going on, and wanted to keep Rassan safe if Bilbo was a threat. She did use healing magic to bring Sarkhan back to his feet before doing so.

...also, maybe they can break out somehow? Sure, the guards at a single gate included multiple people several levels above our party, though. Making the likelihood of success, in particular in light of Sarkhan's loss of his source of magic, rather unlikely.
    Also, they are awaiting trial for murder charges, which almost certainly has the punishment of death, yes. They might talk their way out of it... despite a good half dozen or more guards as direct witnesses.

7. Arthellion

High Score:
    Fenraellis is playing a squirrel now.

8. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Roarian is a giant lightning slug

9. Arthellion

High Score:
    Innomine's pc is now a woman.

10. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

It's okay, his sister is hotter.

11. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Rassan is just intrigued to catch up with his...her old flings.

Might need a new name as well as a pic.

12. Mestre

Mestre Professor

> Ice Witch dies and drops STAFF
    > STAFF makes Eldritch Blasts even more OP BUT the STAFF can only be used by a champion of Auriel and if the goddess dislikes you, she curses so that you feel forever cold and you can never rest( no full or short rests).
    >"Well, I already sold my soul for power once, why not twice"
    > Equips staff and gets cursed.
    > I politely but smugly tell Auriel the following: " To be fair Auriel, your champion tried to kill me first"
    > Auriel bolts me.
    > I almost die, wtf.jpg
    > I BEG Jank to heal me and he obnoxious tells me to get rid of the STAFF first.
    > Fine.
    > Sacrifice the STAFF to my demonic mistress.
    > She is pretty happy and I ask her: " hey, could you at least heal me?"
    > "I am going to do more than that".
    > She heals me, gives me power and makes me her Champion. Pretty good stuff.
    > She brands me with "property of Faerna", not cool but ok fine.
    > After this is done I tell Auriel "to go fuck yourself".
    > no bolts this time, smug.jpg

This is how our campaign ends.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  13. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    And given that our first session ended with you randomly deciding to loot one of the wagons we'd been paid to guard with little thought for the consequences, quite a nice way to bookend the campaign :p

14. Arthellion

High Score:
    Congrats on finishing it! :) We're about 80% of the way through Curse of Strahd.

15. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

With little thought for the consequences is the motto of our team

16. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

As promised, here is my masterpiece depicting the conclusion to our climactic battle with the Ice Witch. That's a cane in Shiny's hand btw. He needs a cane now thanks to the Black Ice aging him up by a couple of decades.

[​IMG]

17. Mestre

Mestre Professor

Maybe sacrifising Auriel's champion to a demon wasn't the best idea to ender me to her.

18. Arthellion

High Score:
    This is just an interest check.

Would anyone be interested in a Curse of Strahd DnD5e Campaign? Been running it for one of the other DLP groups and love the setting, but they are getting close to finishing it and moving on to another campaign. So, now that I've run it once, interested in makign it better.

Think this would run on Friday or Sunday Evenings EST. Or Saturday days. Would post more in depth if there is interest. Feel free to shoot me a PM, respond here, or message on discord.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  19. Arthellion

High Score:
    Alright so I've gotten some interest. Here's a fuller post

The Curse of Strahd
    [​IMG]
    DM: Arthellion
    Players: 4-6
    Time: Either Friday or Sunday Evenings EST. 3-4 hrs per session. Or Saturday morning afternoons. Weekly.
    Ruleset: DnD5e
    Books Allowed: PHB, Xanathar, Sword Coast, Volo, and Mordenkainen
    Format: Online VTT. Using Forge and Discord.

Campaign Summary:
    Under raging storm clouds, a lone figure stands silhouetted against the ancient walls of Castle Ravenloft. The vampire Count Strahd von Zarovich stares down a sheer cliff at the village below. A cold, bitter wind spins dead leaves about him, billowing his cape in the darkness.

Lightning splits the clouds overhead, casting stark white light across him. Strahd turns to the sky, revealing the angular muscles of his face and hands. He has a look of power—and of madness. His once handsome face is contorted by a tragedy darker than the night itself.

Rumbling thunder pounds the castle spires. The winds howling increases as Strahd turns his gaze back to the village. Far below, yet not beyond his ken, a party of adventurers has just entered his domain. Strahd’s face forms a twisted smile as his dark plan unfolds. He knew they were coming, and he knows why they have come all according to his plan. He, the master of Ravenloft, will attend to them.

Another lightning flash rips through the darkness, its thunder echoing through the castle is towers. But Strahd is gone. Only the howling of the wind—or perhaps a lone wolf—fills the midnight air. The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.

Player Primer via Reddit:

So You Want to Play Curse of Strahd: A Player's Primer on Enjoying the Game

Curse of Strahd is an exciting, tense, fast-paced adventure. It is a vivid exploration of classic gothic horror tropes and monsters, from werewolves to vampires, ghosts, and more. It is a true sandbox, providing players with the freedom to make their own choices and build the kind of adventure they enjoy. It is an unabashedly character-driven campaign, giving your player character an incredible chance to shine and make their mark on the story your group tells.

However, Curse of Strahd is also a brutal, stressful, and alienating experience. Your character will be trapped in a bleak, gothic land quite different from the world they know. The adventure contains several encounters and areas that will likely be far beyond your capabilities when you first encounter them. It does not provide routine or readily-available loot or magical items.

For a player who’s not expecting it, Curse of Strahd can suck. Really suck. Let me put it this way: if you want the freedom to engage in combat and exploration without worrying about the potential risks, this is very possibly not the campaign for you. Likewise, if you are potentially triggered by gruesome depictions of horror or psychologically disturbing relationships, or if you prefer a D&D campaign that features only victories or setbacks (rather than the potential for outright defeat), you might want to try a different module.

Now, if you’re still around, stick with me - because there are reasons to play this (excellent, engaging, incredibly memorable) campaign.

You should play Curse of Strahd if you:
    • love gothic horror tropes and themes
      want to engage with a character-driven story that pushes you to develop relationships with multiple vivid NPCs and factions
    • prefer roleplay, investigation, and relationship-building to combat or dungeon-delving
    • enjoy setting your own goals and pursuing means of achieving them
    • enjoy facing an active, powerful, and personally antagonizing villain
    • want to participate in a tense, adrenaline-fueled experience that will create memories to last a lifetime
    If, after reading this far, you think Curse of Strahd may be the campaign for you, awesome! You’re in for a fantastic time. With that said, here are a few protips to succeeding in the course of this campaign:

• Intrepid adventurers and sadistic murderhobos don’t last long in Barovia. Don’t tread from the beaten path unless you have good reason to, and don’t alienate or antagonize NPCs if you can avoid it. Make more friends than enemies. Don’t go searching for treasure, fortune, or fame - because you will probably die a horrible death.
      Remember that you are not your character, and invest real time in developing their thoughts, personality, and motivation. Externalize failure, and use setbacks or defeat as an opportunity to explore your character’s perspective and personal growth.

• Play smart. Many of the enemies in this adventure cannot be overcome easily in direct combat. Use guile, preparation, subterfuge, diplomacy, and research to achieve your goals.

• Spend time engaging with the other characters, even when not discussing plans, tactics, or objectives. Learn about their fears, their perspectives, and their experiences. Build meaningful relationships, not apathetic battle teams.

• Outside goals are hard (if not impossible) to achieve in Barovia. It's worth working with your DM to create a character driven to Barovia for some purpose that can only be fulfilled within its borders. Make sure to speak with your DM about how to shape your backstory into something that can be relevant in the world of Barovia.

• Try to remove yourself from the “XP and loot” model of progression in traditional campaigns and video games, and instead try to enjoy the narrative progression of winning allies, fulfilling objectives, and advancing the story of the campaign and player characters.

• Don't try to play an apathetic or evil player character unless you are 100% sure that you can pull it off while being a supportive team player and engaging the story like a normal PC. Seriously. You'll make this adventure a lot more difficult and unenjoyable for your DM, and you'll be cheating yourself out of a fun experience. You don't need to play a knight in shining armor, but you definitely shouldn't play a villain.

• Curse of Strahd, as-written, is full of disturbing and graphic content. If you are potentially triggered by elements of child abuse, murder, stalking, gaslighting, racism, torture, mind control, cannibalism, situations paralleling sexual assault, child death, references to stillbirth/miscarriage, abuse of those with disabilities or mental illness, animal cruelty, body horror, child abandonment, portrayals of alcoholism or drug abuse, potential incest, implied necrophilia, or suicide, speak with your DM about potentially working around or entirely avoiding these elements.
    Oh - and don’t Google anything related to the campaign.

The Web, after all, is dark, and full of spoilers.

Have fun!

For Testimonials: See Sonder, Nazgus, Innomine, Fenraelis, or Antivash :p

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  20. lopeck

lopeck Groundskeeper

I'd be down with actually playing some D&D again instead of DMing, but evenings in the US is past midnight in the EU. So unless the game is sometime in the afternoon I won't be able to join.