1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Antho #5 - The Anthology Strikes Back!

Discussion in 'Original Fiction Discussion' started by Joe, May 20, 2020.

1. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    The wild story fields of DLP have lain fallow for far too long, ladies and gentlemen. After several years out of the anthology game, it's time we finished what I started (and then didn't finish last time).

The DLP Anthology #5 - Science Fiction

So, here's the deal.

Editor

Joe

Anthology Committee

Joe
    Mordecai
    Ched
    ScottPress

Anthology Time Frame

All submissions should be a maximum of 20,000 words and submitted on or before September 1st, 2020. This submission deadline will not be extended.

Submission Timeline:

May 20th, 2020: Submission guidelines announced and thread created

September 1st, 2020: Final drafts submitted to dlpanthology@gmail.com

September 21st, 2020: Pending number of entries*, editing/judging complete and entrants notified of acceptance/editing requirements/rejection

October 1st, 2020: Final drafts received and contracts issued

October 15th, 2020: Joe will format the ebook/paperback during this time and, providing all contracts received, prepare for publication (estimated publication date early November 2020)

*The number of entries received may alter the editing and judging schedule.

For those interested in submitting to this anthology, please find the full submission guidelines here. Read them and understand them, any questions then contact us here or via PM.

Note: If you're considering writing and submitting, you need to read those guidelines.

Double note: SERIOUSLY, READ THE DAMN GUIDELINES

Now, let's talk genre/theme.

Genre: Science Fiction

We're going to leave it open beyond that, so if you want you could write a:

Comedic space opera
    Hard sci-fi
    Soft sci-fi
    Cyberpunk
    Steampunk
    Apocalyptic sci-fi

These are just some examples. You can get some more ideas from here.

Now, some helpful information for all you writers out there - let's talk about not only getting your stories in on time, but well before (this is just a suggestion) and maybe having a beta or two take a look before sending it our way. You're welcome to post, and encouraged to do so, in the Original Fiction WbA Forums.

An unpolished draft creates more work for us, and it leads to poorer quality entries. I want to make it clear that people can submit their entries at any time (this is a good thing), and if every one gets them in early then we can move to the next stage early, without any issues.

Really, its fine for us to say all of this, but it is a little disheartening to see raw first drafts submitted. Once you've written something, you should be reading and editing it yourself at least a couple of times before doing anything else.

SO READ THIS LINK ON EDITING YOUR STORIES!

I hope that doesn't sound harsh, merely reasonable.

Given this is a remix, authors who wrote for the originally planned Antho #5 can of course review their stories and re-submit as per the guidelines here.

Any questions, just let me know - let's knock this one out of the park. My thanks to @Ched, @Mordecai, and @ScottPress for the logistical support.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Blorcyn asked about this on Discord, so to clarify one thing in the guidelines:

This is optional.

3. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Sorry, I don't think I explained myself well.

The biography question is under 'entry details' not 'contact and other details'. So it seems it refers to the story? But that's unusual for the word biography? What specifically does it want for 'short biography attached'. Author details, or a story blurb or something (A teaser, compared to the synopsis mentioned later)?

4. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll be submitting.

5. Joe

High Score:
    A short biography about the author. This is traditionally written by the author themselves.

'Joe Ducie is a writer from Perth, Western Australia. He means well.'

If you'd prefer not to submit one a generic one will be provided for you.

'Joe Ducie is a short story author of speculative fiction.'

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Cue half a dozen people having an existential crisis around whether or not to utilize a pen name.

We’ll have two DLP fanfiction competitions running in tandem from July-September.

Prioritize this original anthology.

But there’s no reason not to do both/all-three. Bring your A-game.

Joe
  7. Joe

High Score:
    Pen names are, of course, fine.

I will be writing a story for submission in this one. We'll need to find a 5th vote that's not mine for it.

8. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'll vote against you, no problem!

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Found my old notes from 2015 on the story I was trying to write for Anthology #5 way back during our first attempt to make it happen. I had completely forgotten about these notes until I searched my computer for "Antho 5" just now.

And it goes on a for a bit. It's not anything I'd consider a bad idea now, but it made me very happy to see how far my outlining skills have come since I wrote these thousand words or so of notes. If I tried to write an actual story from this I'd get frustrated and stall out (which is what I think happened).

Despite not having written much in the last month I got an impressive feeling of satisfaction from finding this. I'm better, now. And it feels good to see that not just in prose but in method.

10. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Are non sci-fi unexplained elements allowed? I want to write a space opera, but I have two ways I could do it. One is a complete serious and will definitely fit in the anthology. The other is doing it in a comedy version with the main character being a fanboy suddenly waking up in a body of the ship's captain who was really unpopular with the viewers and killed off in the episode he found himself in. The story is basically a deconstruction of sci-fi tropes in series like Star Trek or Babylon 5 and includes lots of conflict between fan's expectations versus actual reality. I want it to be a Galaxy Quest of SI fics.

The problem is that I would leave how he ended up in this world a mystery and that could count as some sort of a magical element and not fit this anthology. I could figure out some technological explanation, maybe a game simulation goes wrong, but I would prefer to avoid it.

11. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    huh glad I stumbled on this thread. I had no idea this was a thing. If I read this right, we create like an actual book? If so thats pretty cool.

Does anyone know where I can find previous anthologies from dlp to look at?

12. Celestin

13. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Celestin

Seems like starting in media res, I say it's fine.

14. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Interesting stuff. If it wasnt secret id be curious what the sales for these looked like (i.e is it primarily a dlp thing or did we actually have large numbers of random people buying these amazon anthologies. which would be kind of cool)

15. Celestin

Thanks. In that case I will try writing it and if it doesn't work, it will then write a serious take.

16. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Still no progress on the rewrite ugh

17. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Joe would be the one who would be able to give more detail on sales numbers, but as I recall mostly it was sales to DLP folk with a sprinkling of other sales.

18. Joe

High Score:
    I'm working this weekend but let me throw together some stats from the Amazon dashboard.

In the initial days the anthos made decent money, which covered my small costs in publishing, allowed me to send author copies, and 'donate' the extra to cover DLP costs.

These days combined they make a bit less, but then we don't market or anything. Or push the brand. I'd actually have to check. I tally the numbers for all my sales every six months or so when I receive the royalty statement from my traditionally published works.

19. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Hmm this has made me realize how much my tastes tilt to fantasy over scifi. Shockingly challenging.

20. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you want to bounce ideas off me to help work out your plan, feel free to shoot me a PM.