1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Grow Young With Me by Taliesin19 - T

Discussion in 'Romance' started by Steelbadger, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Miner

Miner Order Member

I'll personally be extremely disappointed if Albus isn't a Squib.

2. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Grow Young with Me has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 27
    Words: 229,161
    Updated: 2019-11-12 13:23:50 UTC
    Published: 2015-03-14 07:30:39 UTC
    Previously updated: 9 months ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Surprised this update hasn't gotten more responses. Good chapter though I think a lot of the Teddy stuff was filler.

Nothing groundbreaking, it all plays out as expected but as always it's written well and made me want to reread the fic.

4. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

Probably because this is an epic length romance (Fluff?) story which updates seemingly now on a yearly basis. I remember some basic plot points, but what I remember makes me realise how much I don't remember and makes it just feel daunting. Re-reading 230,000 words is such a slog. Especially in the knowledge I'd probably have to do it again the next update.

Still might be worth it though.

5. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, this is the kind of story you read all in one go rather than coming back for each update (Even though I do).

6. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I liked this update and I like this story in general. It's a cute fluffy tale which ticks all the boxes I need to just relax. I liked where (s)he's going with Harry and Abby here. Hope (s)he doesn't drag it out now, this is one of the few fics I genuinely want to end well.

7. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 28
    Words: 242,170
    Updated: 2020-06-15 11:40:20 UTC
    Previously updated: 7 months ago

8. Miner

Miner Order Member

27 chapters of slow burn leads into one chapter of progress. Honestly, pretty excited for how this one will end, since it's coming into its closing arc. It's quite interesting how much the individual characters shine, although I still believe that Abby is the character that carries the story.

There are those that dislike her personality, but she does drive the story along.

9. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean if they dislike Abby's personality then I'd be pretty surprised if they were still reading updates, the fic is kind of centered around Abby's portrayal as a real person with shit of her own to deal with that counters Harry's penchant for self pity.

10. Ave Imperium

Ave Imperium First Year

A decent read if you skip practically every part involving Harry interacting with his children. I scrolled past nearly all of them once I realized they were basically just the same thing over and over with no real impact on the story and I could still read the story without feeling remotely lost. That shouldn't happen when you skip 33% of the content. Actually more like 50% considering that I also skipped nearly everything related to his job. Both of these things could be trimmed down by 90% and still provide the same level of contribution, as far as I am concerned.

Abby is a pretty stereotypical character with the classic minimum-wage, but secretly talented and very random while also sporting a dark past that she hides behind a positive attitude. However, it doesn't really bother me too much as I'm not really looking for much more when I read a story like this.

The big reveal about Harry's magic isn't great, since the entire thing with Teddy suddenly appearing looking for his fanged frizbee feels like a pretty transparent attempt at suddenly slapping Abby in the face with magic instead of a believe story element. I would have prefered something more sedate, with some decent dialogue.

Still, I read up until the last update so that makes it better than most of what I read. 3/5.

11. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 29
    Words: 255,540
    Updated: 2020-11-14 01:41:58 UTC
    Previously updated: 5 months ago

12. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Well, it seems Xion is behind the times, because Chapter 30 was released a couple of months ago.

I've never liked romance stories. I find the teenage drama (and there's inevitably a lot in most HP romance stories) tiring, doubly so since I don't have a frame of reference to compare it to. Furthermore, romance stories honestly depressed me for reasons people who remember me probably know.

All that said, this story is the first pure romance I've enjoyed. And I enjoy it a lot. Perhaps it's because I had the benefit of finding the story after Chapter 26, so I got to see a lot of the foreshadowing pay off. Perhaps it's because of where I am in life now. Whatever the reason, I love this story.

Abby is one of the most fleshed out OCs I've read about. I really get the impression that there's an entire backstory behind the pages, and an entire person beyond what we know. This comes from a lot of the small details. The way she describes her exes. The way she worries over the wedding, even before we know what's bothering her. Her interactions with her roommate. All of these contribute to making her a fleshed out, 3 dimensional character that I rarely see in OCs. I also love all three of the kids, both in their interactions with Abby and in general. They feel like fleshed out individuals in their own right.

That being said, it is a really slow-burning story that drags at times. Also, I'm not sure I'm the biggest fan of the latest chapter. It injects some of that drama that I often find tiring. I understand it's often a real-life situation in family dynamics, but I find myself unable to relate as an only child.

Overall, I think the story is a solid 4.5/5. My slight apprehension over the latest chapter combined with the acknowledgement that it's slow at times makes me bump it down to 4/5, but I can see it being a 5/5 with some improvement.

13. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 31
    Words: 285,204
    Updated: 2023-06-07 03:48:52 UTC
    Previously updated: about 2 years ago

14. Harpo the Fool

Harpo the Fool Fourth Year

Looking at the past reviews, this sounds promising, but it's been a WIP for 8 years? Does anyone reading it have a sense of whether it's getting near finished? I like that its current length isn't extreme by HP standards, so I can imagine taking a look, though like others who have posted here, I'm not personally that keen on romance fic.

15. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I read it AAAAAGES ago, and it was very slow. It's kinda like a slice of life thing that just happens to also involve HP. Had no sense of when the ending might be when I read it.

Not bad if you like that kinda thing, but if you don't really like romance, this prob aint for you.

16. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    The story is trash and has all the worst romance tropes you can imagine. Avoid for your own sake.

17. Pikachu

Pikachu Banned

Read Testing defenses, Vox Corporis Or Forever knight instead of this. If you want romance go read Jeconais Hope, Perfect situations, white knight grey queen instead

18. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

There is a comment at the end of the most recent chapter that mentions this. The author expects to wrap up the story in 2-3 chapters.

19. Donimo

Donimo Auror

I enjoy it. I'm not a big fan of romance stories, or romance in stories. This is the best example of it in the HP fandom.

20. Harpo the Fool

Harpo the Fool Fourth Year

Thanks all. I like textured characters, I don't mind romance if it's ancillary to some other kind of plot, and I could imagine liking a pure romance story that wasn't a slowburn going on for 1000s of pages. I think I don't want any more WIP's on my reading queue for now, but if this story wraps up anytime soon, I'll try to remember to take a look after it finishes.