1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Five Facts You Won't Find in "Hogwarts, A History" by mayerwien

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by JoJo23, May 3, 2020.

1. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Title: Five Facts You Won't Find in "Hogwarts, A History"
    Author: mayerwien
    Rating: M
    Genre: General
    Library Category: General
    Pairings: None
    Summary: 2. Once, over the course of two memorable weeks, an escaped Chizpurfle wreaked havoc inside the castle.

“A what?” Ron whispered, when it was announced at dinner.

Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/11746692

A set of five short scenes that which could, for the most part, insert into canon. All five are generally pretty entertaining. The first is about school picture day, a very common affair in British schools, unfortunatly the author doesnt do much intersting with this, instead veering off to make Harry into Colin Creevy. Shame since "common school tropes with magic" is kind of what Harry Potter is anmd I think the idea had more potential that what was delivered.

The other 4 are very strong, with the final one having a bit of conversation between Harry and Dumbledore about what led him to return to Hogwarts which I found quite compelling. My only gripe is that these are scenes from a story, and not really stories in and of themselves.

I'd give it a 4/5.

Edit: Sorry Zombie, I thought For Review and Almost Reccomended had been merged or something. when I posted it. Didnt see it at the top.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Moving this to the review board since you thought so highly of it. I wouldn't consider a 4/5 almost rec. material.

3. WierdFoodStuff

WierdFoodStuff Slug Club Member

What a cute story, short and sweet.
    It does a great job at keeping the characters as they were in canon while still adding some small but excellent details that makes them so real and fresh.
    A light 4, it's like a slice of life anime but it doesn't meander for 2 seasons.

4. bking4

bking4 Second Year ⭐⭐

High Score:
    Well that was fun! Five slice of life vignettes, in no particular chronological order. A few grammatical changes I would make in an editing pass through and that's quite literally all I think I can say that I would change.

I think the author does a great job capturing the tone of Hogwarts and the life of the characters themselves. Everyone feels in characters and this all feels very much like it could be canon.

Easily a 4/5. Would heavily recommend to anyone who wants a nice, soft bit of feel-good reading when they want to have a bit of a smile.

5. raobuntu

raobuntu Seventh Year

High Score:
    This was fantastic! I liked how the author explored topics that get shunted to the side in plot-focused fics - school life, Harry/Ron/Hermione genuine friendship (the prank pulling was such a nice touch), and Harry's incredible love for Hogwarts. The author's writing was especially good in the last scene as Harry took in the world around him (they managed to pull of Dumbledore somewhat well too).

This is a 4 and not a 5 only because it's not a full story that's plot-intensive. Still, library-worthy.

6. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Agreed with the other reviewers here. 4/5 material. Solidly so. It’s not a complete story by itself, but the moments described are short, sweet, and most importantly, canon-compliant.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

3.5 rounding up

8. Barzûl

Barzûl Seventh Year DLP Supporter

It was short and sweet.
    I agree that the photography was the one part that seemed out of place.

Number 5 reminded me of the end of my high school days. The summer that never ended.

4.5 / 5, rounded down.

9. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It was a quick read, very enjoyable little slice of life snippets. 5/5 for what it is, a good way to pass half an hour.

10. WierdFoodStuff

WierdFoodStuff Slug Club Member

Aw man you ruined the strong of 4/5 reviews :( @Mordecai .

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  11. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

This story reminds me of something but wha...

Oh right.

4/5 from me as well.

12. Murr

Murr Squib

I read this a while ago and remember liking it a lot, 4/5 for me.

13. blackops

blackops Muggle

This story is probably the most light-hearted pieces of fiction I've read in the Harry Potter fandom. It's not serious or overly humerus, however they bring a smile to your face with just how cute they are.

It's cannon compliant and captures the theme of friendship and boarding school life quite well.

4/5

14. Zilly Sawdust

Zilly Sawdust High Inquisitor

3.5 because it implied Marchbanks was Dumbledore's classmate. Round up to 4 for everything else.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  15. raobuntu

raobuntu Seventh Year

High Score:
    The one who tested Dumbledore in canon is Griselda Marchbanks IIRC. This one is Matilda

16. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I really liked this. It's short and sweet, bringing a bit of the feel that the first few Harry Potter books had before things got so dramatic. I had a few issues with phrasing, and the way some of the characters were presented at times didn't feel all that true to the books, which is essential for this sort of story, but as I said it's a very enjoyable read, and you should give it a go.

4/5

17. coolname95

coolname95 Second Year

Yup, this is excellent, especially for what it is. I especially liked number 4. Writing is technically solid and I thought each story had a good idea. 5/5