1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Boy And His Dragon By Myth - [ASOIAF / Hobbit] - M

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones / ASoIaF' started by Halt, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Title: A Boy And His Dragon
    Author: Myth
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama / Horror
    Pairings: N/A
    Summary: N/A
    Link: Alternate history

Smaug from LOTR is born as a dragon in ASOIAF. Horror ensues as the world turns mad due to his corruptive influence.

I don't really know how else to put it. It's an intriguing concept, sadly abandoned I think, but still very much worth reading.

4/5.

2. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This story is brilliant, I really liked how the author set up the haze that Smaug brings with his presence, the people of Westeros being just as, if not more so susceptible to gold-sickness, and general greed and flaws. Viserys having to deal with the horror of Smaug's presence and becoming saner in his fear
    and because of Smaugs fell influence
    is fucking epic.

The AU differences are done well and the only thing that sucks is that it's abandoned.

4/5 because it's abandoned and also because it jumped the gun a bit with the timeskips +au stuff not being all that explored but seeing as it was prolly meant to be a short fic in total the former is a part of the story's tone.

3. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    At the beginning Viserys had the voice of a generic SI, and I wasn't particularly impressed. But then Smaug hit.

Smaug's dialogue wasn't exactly perfect either, to my mind, but it was much closer, and even that paled in comparison to the sheer presence that he exuded. It's clear from the inception of the story that this isn't some twee YA dragon friend, all soft and fuzzy around the edges. It isn't even one of the giant predatory lizards from ASOIAF or other 'realistic' fantasy settings.

No, this is clearly a fell wyrm, with all the low cunning and dark debasement that comes with one of Morgoth's brood. He is sinister, and cruel, and intelligent. The plot moves by his manipulations, and it's exquisite to behold. Reading this reminds me of the traditional portrayal of dragons as the servants of the devil.

My biggest criticism is that events happen offscreen, and the story just shows us characters reacting to it after the fact. It's a classic fanfic error, especially those of AH fare. This story isn't really an action one, so missing the action doesn't completely undermine it, but it still takes away some of the impact and make you react like you read a blurb of a cool idea rather than witnessed it happen.

Most notably
    when Viserys loses his hand

I especially loved the moment at the end of the what's currently published. With some minor tweaking I'd even say it's an appropriate point to leave off a story like this, so I'm pretty satisfied by this even though it's abandoned.

The wordsmithing isn't particularly great, but neither is it bad. It's clear that the writing is just a vehicle for this story, rather than part of the product that the author was trying to create.

4/5

4. Jack-O

Jack-O Second Year

I had to dust off my ancient unused AH account to read this, but it was well worth it.

The writing wasn't bad, but not very noteworthy. There weren't any glaring technical errors that jumped out at me.

Smaug's depiction is definitely the best part of this fic. Seeing how his actions warp the events of canon into an entirely different mess was quite entertaining, although I feel like the author tended to gloss over too many important events. I think it would have benefited from a little more detail in describing some of the bigger changes and events that Viserys didn't have a front row seat to.

Even if it is abandoned, it does end at a very good stopping point, so I wouldn't really count that against it.

Easy 4/5.

5. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    I only read a few chapters and maybe need to read a bit more... but i didn't care for it. Which is a shame since LOTR and ASOIAF might be my two favorite book series. No. They are.

Its hard to put my finger on why it was annoying me. I think it maybe had an element of like... mmm.. how some of those 'rational' hp fics get. Where it felt a little like smaug was just so much smarter then everyone... because. And omniscient... because. And the author had a 'let me show you how everything goes wrong just to show how edgy i am' vibe.

Maybe im being too harsh. Like I said I only read a few chapters. But I found myself just eye rolling and not very engaged every-time smaug went 'evil genius destroying everyone lives around him.'

Such a fascinating fun premise I might try to push on and read more. Especially if halt thinks it gets better as he has impeccable taste. Ill hold on reviewing for now as i dont want to be too harsh after just a few chapters.

edit to add: no. finished reading and sadly the problems persisted. the unsullied plot line literally had my eyes rolling out of my head. I really wanted to like this but just cant. 2/5 and i think im being generous.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  6. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Just finished this. It’s short, sweet, and even with the abandonment, it’s still a decent read.

Smaug is spectacularly written and essentially makes the piece. But there really isn’t much beyond Smaug and Viserys to recommend it. As @soczab said, it’s kind of a “everything goes bad” sort of plot that is essentially just backdrop for Viserys, Smaug, and to a lesser degree, Danaerys. Honestly, though, that’s exactly what it needed to be.

As others have said, the writing is solidly average and perfectly serviceable, which for AH puts it in top tier, but it is what it is.

While this is definitely library worthy, based on the characters, it certainly isn’t the sort of above average work that deserves much above a 3.

3.5/5 trending down.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  7. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This was surprisingly enjoyable. It's almost more character piece than a proper story, with Smaug's shadow being cast across the rest of the cast. Viserys is delightfully terrified in a way that makes you sympathize for one of the worst people in canon.

A fairly solid 3/5 for sure.

8. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I absolutely loved what was posted over on the AH forums, and I heavily recommended that any fans of ASOIAF read it, as the overall tone of the story is quite consistent with the grim nature of Martin's works, not to say that Smaug isn't well represented, though in a much more savage way then he was written in the Hobbit.
    5/5

9. Strangebloke

Strangebloke Third Year

I enjoyed this fic. I liked a lot of things about it, from the prose to the tone....

But honestly I think a huge reason why I enjoy it is purely that its mediocre LOTR fanfic, and I'm a sucker for lotr. TBQH the plot is rambling, with lots of jumping about and general chaos. This makes for an intriguing pileup of awfulness, but it doesn't really make for a great story, and I think that's why it got abandoned. It was just sort of rambling around having fun without any real structure or thesis.

If I was a teenager again, I would give it a 5/5 but since I am old and withered I will only give 3/5