1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Cinematic Universe General Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Kang benefits from an absolute lack of familiarity on the part of most of the fans. Doctor Doom and Galactus have both featured in films that are generally regarded as failures and which no one really remembers positively. Going with a new bad guy can only be a good thing.

Besides, Galactus is a terrible bad guy. He's far too large scale, and high powered, so any solution to him as a threat needs to be, frankly, ridiculous. It can just work in comics, but theres a definite struggle in films to not break the suspension of disbelief when dealing with that sort of overwhelming scale of threat.

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Galactus was 13 years ago and it can even hardly called to be Galactus. And he's perfect to be build up not as a normal villain like Thanos, but upcoming force of the nature.

As for Doctor Doom, that he was never represented correctly in the film is a good thing for Marvel. Because there is little to compare, it's definitely going to be easier to create a new version of him than a Wolverine that's not going to be Hugh Jackman.

3. Mordecai

High Score:
    You're looking at it from the perspective of someone who knows what the comic book characters were like though. The vast majority of people watching Marvel films haven't read the comics or watched the cartoons, and don't know what these characters are supposed to be like. What they do know is that they've seen a bad film with that bad guy before. All they see is superhero films recycling the same couple of bad guys every decade rather than going over any new ground.

4. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I would agree with you if it was only comics and films, but these two appeared in games that were a lot more popular than both versions of the Fantastic Four films.

EDIT:
    The last FF film made $168m worldwide and I suspect most of it was comicbook fans because other people avoided it based on weak trailers and reviews. Compare it to Doctor Doom recent appearance in a far more popular Fortnite.

Additionally, the recycling argument doesn't really work when the heroes themselves are recycled all the time. What matters is if said supervillains are popular enough for constant using. Doctor Doom is a curious case because he's probably the last very popular supervillain that has not one good appearance on the big screen. That's the potential that MCU may want to use.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  5. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Not to mention that if Marvel is looking to the comics for what direction to take their big Avengers crossovers now that Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet are out of the picture, Doctor Doom is one of their big name villains who plays a major role in a lot of the big crossover events. Honestly one of the better arguments I could see for not using him in the first Fantastic Four movie is to save him for something bigger like Avengers: Secret Wars.

6. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

so yesterday the teaser for WandaVision dropped:

thoughts?

mine can be pretty much summed up as: MCU House of M.

i've also read some early theories that it's bringing the Darkhold in from AoS into the MCU proper and could be setting up the events in the next Doctor Strange movie

7. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

The panel (that announced these) confirmed that WandaVision feeds into Dr. Strange 2.

I'm very interested in this series -- the first MCU tv series that actually interests me.

8. Mordecai

High Score:
    I'll be honest, that trailer was just...weird. And not in a way that makes me want to watch the show to find out what the hell was going on. The only thing that was interesting was the idea of "you're dead and this is happening to you", but the little bit of setting shown was quite off putting.

Gutted that they're tying it into the movies, I thought that keeping their movies and shows pretty much separate was one of the better decisions Marvel made. If they start tying in a bunch of shows then they're going to lose people who have time to watch a new film every year or so, but can't commit to keeping up with god knows how many tv shows.

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm just waiting for Black Widow, don't mind me

10. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Jamie Foxx confirms Electro return in Marvel Cinematic Universe's Spider-Man 3

But, how?

11. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  12. Mordecai

High Score:
    Why are they calling the films Homecoming 2 and Homecoming 3 etc? Homecoming was the first one, Far from home was the second one.

13. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Of all the characters they could use, they're going for one of the least popular villains from one of the least popular movies. Was anybody other than maybe Foxx himself asking for this?

14. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Probably like JJJ at the end of far from home, where the same actor plays another adaption of the same character, but without actually being from the same continuity.

I am not too worried though, if the MCU made Mysterio work, then they can make Electro work.

But I still think they could have choosen better, Spider-Man has several interesting Villains that weren't in movies before, like Black Cat, Scorpion or Kraven.

15. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't know what it is, but coming on a year now without an MCU movie I can't say I miss them...?

Spiderverse 2 will be hype, but other than that, all the new MCU news I see randomly popping up just does nothing for me anymore - which is weird given I went basically day 1 or ASAP to see the others.

16. Mordecai

High Score:
    On the other side of that, I don't know if its that I'm generally missing the cinema and generally the outside life, but I could really go a 3+ hour Marvel release, a big soda, and a pick n mix.

17. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A lot of it has to do with having my own home cinema. I don't need to go to the theater (which is a horrid, overpriced experience these days) to get the Big Screen experience.

18. Arthellion

High Score:
    I mean, the first era has been completed. We haven't really seen what yet the MCU is going to bring. We don't know the next story or plot so no real reason to be excited

19. Arthellion

High Score:
  20. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm not normally one for pointing out that a topic has already been discussed, but in this instance, you actually took part in that discussion - scroll up a few posts :p