1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Butterbeer, Bollocks and a Ball by jaythekoala - T

Discussion in 'Romance' started by Genghiz Khan, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Title: Butterbeer, Bollocks and a Ball
    Author: jaythekoala
    Rating: Fiction T
    Genre: Romance/Humour
    Library Category: Humour
    Pairings: Harry Potter/Daphne Greengrass

Summary: "She Transfigured Seamus' testicles into a pair of tweezers!" Through a series of unfortunate events and unwise decisions, Harry Potter ends up going to the Yule Ball with Daphne Greengrass. Perhaps things won't turn out so bad after all: when you've hit rock bottom, the only way to go is up, right? …Right? Not your usual Daphne fic. Warnings for language and underage drinking.

Link: FFN

This is a fairly funny oneshot featuring a normal Harry, a perverted Seamus, and a non-Ice Queen Daphne. And, well, Hermione. To give a brief description, Harry, after having learned that Cho, Hermione and Ginny are unavailable to take to the Yule Ball, decides to ask the next girl who comes through the portrait hole. Unfortunately, the next girl turns out to be Daphne Greengrass, who, surprisingly, says yes. Hilarity ensues.

It's surprisingly entertaining. I found myself wishing there was a sequel. Daphne's definitely not typical fanon!Daphne, Harry's a typical 14-year old (both awkward and hormone-y), and Seamus is hilarious anytime he's mentioned. The fic touches on a bunch of tropes I haven't seen used much in this genre (and specifically not with this pairing) and it does it very well. I won't give the plot away: it's only 6000 words or so.

No particular spelling/grammatical errors jumped out at me. It's short, sweet, and funny. 5/5 because it did what I wanted it to do: entertain the fuck out of me.

The author, @James018 is also a DLP member but they've been inactive for a while.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  2. James018

James018 Third Year

High Score:
    Hello! Got the e-mail notif.

I'm glad you enjoyed it - it was written to entertain, rather than be a technically good story. That said, I tried to make sure there was nothing egregiously bad about it. It went through a surprising number of revisions before I finally posted it.

Very happy to receive feedback for future work, even though I'm on hiatus from writing fan fiction right now. I expect to return at some point.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  3. haphnepls

haphnepls Seventh Year

Nice find.

I liked the most characters, and them actually acting like teenagers is a big plus. I sighed when Hermione exploded, "What's my problem?" but that's probably just the years of self-conditioning against her character. It was a short scene, and it didn't put me off the fic so no big harm there. All in all, I got my five minutes of entertainment which is clearly the point of this fic; I laughed, I smiled, and I found Seamus to be an unexpected but hilarious plus in all his aspects.

Very good realization. It exceeded my expectations, and therefore, 4/5

4. Barzûl

Barzûl Seventh Year DLP Supporter

+1

Cute fic.
    I've always liked these snippets of ordinary life at Hogwarts. Makes me wistful after those days past.
    A 14-year old Seamus going for a 12-year old Astoria is a bit too much for me. But I got past it by imagining a 13-year old with a 14-year old which could feasibly be the case.

As the author said, not technically the most impressive of fics but I didn't mind at all.
    The dance scene in particular made me smile.

4/5

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Pretty solid for what it is. Enjoyed sorta reading sorta skimming it. Not much else to say tbh

4/5

6. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

I liked it. I felt strong second-hand embarrassment about 3/4ths of the way through so i skipped a bit with my hands over my eyes, but I liked it. 4/5

7. jitenshasan

jitenshasan Second Year

I liked that Daphne wasn't either the ice queen or even simply the perfectly mannered pureblood young lady that fanfictions usually make her. I liked that teenagers read like teenagers (like Harry being glad that Ron has horrible dressrobes because it makes him feel better in comparison, petty but realistic) and that the dancing was a disaster (because yeah, one lesson with McGonagall, nope not going to be enough)

I hated Hermione who feels she's entitled to have a say about everything in Harry's life (but I don't like her in general so...)

Its not the kind of fic I'm going to read again but for a oneshot it was really good 4/5

8. Snupps

Snupps Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I enjoyed this quite a bit. The pace was great, dialogue felt real and everything was just organic.

4.5/5 rounded to 5 from me.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  9. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Enjoyable. I smiled a few times. Not much to the plot, but I think it works better as something short and sweet. Reminds me of "We'll All Fall After the Yule Ball" (shameless plug) in a good way.

4/5. Would recommend.

10. vr32

vr32 Squib

It's pretty good and interesting, and as mention before it's not the stupid ice queen.