1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"One Piece" anime and manga

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by CrashLTD, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I can easily imagine Kaidou following someone stronger than him because he basically does the same thing now, where he forces other stron people to follow him because he is stronger. Big Mom and Edward though. That's more odd to me.

Teach literally named his main ship after Rocks. That can't be a coincidence especially if we consider the fact that Rocks is more or less lost to history.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Yeah, I'm the same. But this time, the noise about the spoilers was so much, people on discord(that rarely talk about OP) were discussing the spoilers. There was just too much hype.

2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Roger/Rocks and Luffy/Blackbeard are going to be parallels, I'm assuming.

I wonder if Rocks had the Yami Yami no mi.

3. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I finally caught up after a 1,5 year break.

It was pretty good. Wano was better than Fisherman, Punk Hazard and Dressrosa, at least. Yeah, it was the exact same formula we've seen since the very beginning of the series - the bad guys are being comically evil, oppressing, enslaving and terrifying the local population. Oda spins some sob story, the Straw Hats get pissed, and fight like proper shounen idiots head on, achieve a complete moral victory eventually, and the people can smile once again. Spice it with a tragic death from time to time. I almost looked at that plotline as an outsider, this time... Oda has been rehashing it so often it got too predictable. One Piece has been basically carried by these emotional storylines that really reach for the reader's heart since the very beginning.

Still, the worldbuilding has been cool, and the conflict is more interesting than in the past. And I liked the Wano designs.

4. Owimbowé

Owimbowé Fourth Year

Hey guys, Oden's flashback is getting crazy with this focus on Roger, might be a good time to revive the topic.:D

Plenty of revelations in the latest chapters and unfortunately it seems like the scantrad teams have been pressured to stop their activity for now. You'll find a first translation of chapter 967 here for now : https://imgur.com/a/rw7eeYL

5. Darkskeleton

Darkskeleton Squib

Thanks, I wasn'r expecting to read it so soon. :)

6. Raiko

Raiko Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I wasn't super enthused with Stampede saying the final island is called laugh tale instead of raftel. At least there is some explanation now.

Cool to know that the One Piece is actually JoyBoy's.

While the fights are interesting, I've always been much more interested in the world building.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  7. Zeemz

Zeemz Second Year

Sad that this thread is dead :/

Wano has been great so far. Chapter 1000 should be out by New Year week

8. Raiko

Raiko Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

New Years' chapter always leaks early. With this one with having One Piece 1000, first person in Japan to scan this chapter is gonna get paaaid. Will probably be out by the 29th or 30th.

I've been enjoying Wano, I like more of the antagonist's here than in Dressrosa or WCI. Probably have to go back to Marineford for one that was better.

9. Rehio

High Score:
    Think Wano might be the best arc. It's been fantastic.

March on to 1,000, Oda. Don't get sick again please.

Edit: Oh, and Yamato for next Straw Hat.

10. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Unfortunately my opinion of Wano arc has not improved. I'm just eager for it to finally, mercifully be over so we can move on from here.

It is my hope that after events of *this* magnitude we might actually escape the Ferris Wheel of One Piece content that gets repeated ever arc and something important will finally happen.

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Is Wano over yet? Had been my least favorite arc and I quit following about a year ago. Looking forward to catching up once it’s over.

12. Rehio

High Score:
    We're getting close. Final battle should be coming up shortly.

13. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    The battle itself should be a few months long at least.

14. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Havent been following lately either. Is it just Luffy v Kaido or Kaido and Big Mam?

15. Rehio

High Score:
    Unsure where it's going to end up. Kaido just got through thrashing a group of enemies while Luffy and Big Mom are both charging up to encounter him.

16. Rehio

High Score:
    Okay, well, holy shit. We're here. Chapter 1000, "Strawhat Luffy."

There's a leaked rough translation floating around. More refined version should be out in a day or less. Official won't be out in Shonen Jump until the 3rd of January, if I recall correctly.

Marco is great. Zoro just got yeeted to the top, while Law just beamed himself up and set himself up a cool pose on the rock.

Luffy just casually strolling past the Emperors has to be an homage to Goku walking past Nappa to check on Krillin. Oda drew his inspiration from Toriyama, after all, and assuming this is a purposeful callback, it's nice to see.

So Luffy and Roger both had the same dream, but it wasn't to be King of the Pirates? After all, Roger only learned he was being called "King of the Pirates" from the paper, so there's no way he could've stated that as a dream way back then.

Loved this chapter. Here's to finishing Wano out with a bang.

17. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

Oh, nice catch. Totally Oda's type for chapter 1000.

Maybe it's something new, but I think it's just that quote of theirs about how they want to reach the top so they can do whatever they want.

18. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    The battle between the NewGen and Kaido/Mama has officially started. See you in a year when it (hopefully) concludes.

19. EkulTeabag

EkulTeabag Seventh Year

So, I just spent the last week reading the entire thousand chapters. I gotta say, I'm not interested in the Wano arc at all. To me it seems like Oda really wants to write a different story about samurai and feudal Japan, and just shoved it into a story about magical pirates. Due to the whole "leaving Wano is forbidden" thing, it seems like an incredibly stand-alone arc that could have (and probably should have) been a completely separate story.

I got really into the characterisation and worldbuilding aspects during part one, and I don't much care for the actual battles. I feel like the overabundance of battles since the crew landed on Sabaody during part one has been a detriment to the storytelling.

Fish-man Island was disappointing after all the hype it received during the Sabaody arc onwards because the antagonists were so laughably weak that they had to multiply their fighting ability dozens of times and still got curbstomped (the most dangerous people during that arc were a comic relief character that nobody realised was running around, and a dude that can throw stuff).

Punk Hazard was pretty great (with the exception of the annoying samurai characters), especially Law and Caesar.

Dressrosa dragged on and was full of annoying characters, but Doflamingo was my favourite antagonist since Crocodile.

Pretty much everything from Zou onwards (the minks, the Charlotte family, Wano) has been frustrating to read compared to all the interesting piracy stuff from the first half of the manga. On the other hand, some of the facial expressions during these arcs were fucking gold, especially Oden and Whitebeard reacting with disgust to Toki's request to go back to Wano.

I'm hoping the Supernova alliance vs. the Emperor alliance battle won't last much longer, and that we can return to some good ol' piracy and get away from the samurai nonsense. But considering how long the Doflamingo fight and aftermath dragged on, I'm doubting we'll get away from Wano at all this year...

20. Darkskeleton

Darkskeleton Squib

Chapter 1010 : Conqueror's Haki
    Kaido and Big Mom are separated with Killer and Kid intending to fight her on their own.
    Big Mom doing something with the sky (?)
    Zoro is down but not before a last attack with Asura+conqueror Haki hurting Kaido.
    Law is down too probably.
    Luffy come back when he sould be KO.
    Should just be a Luffy vs Kaido from now on with Luffy able to hurt Kaido in a definitive way.
    That also mean the end of the arc in on the horizon.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021