1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How to kill Dumbledore - a challenge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BTT, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    Although Dumbledore is a powerful wizard, he is just a person at the end of the day. I think if you managed to take him by surprise it wouldn't really matter how many spells he might know. Harry Dresden's quote about wizards only really being effective when prepared comes to mind, so some sort of sudden attack would be preferable to a convoluted plan to poison him or to have him touch a cursed artifact - Dumbledore would probably have seen those coming a mile off if Draco had ever actually succeeded in getting them near him.

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Drachna I'm not sure I necessarily agree with that interpretation.

In Harry Potter there is Dumbledore, Grindelwald, Voldemort....and then everyone else. Like, for the average wizard, you have a shot at taking down a deatheater or Auror. It's more like real life. Give the average citizen a gun vs a soldier with a gun and while, yes, the soldier might likely win because of training, there is no guarantee. Put your average soldier vs your average person in a bar fight and its not obvious who would win.

This is how we see someone like Molly Weasley taking down Bellatrix. It's not a matter of skill. It's a gun fight.

In contrast, I'd argue on Dumbeldore's level, magical combat is more like a star wars duel. Sure, a jedi might be overwhelmed by numerous opponents, or taken down by a crafty hunter, but you're unlikely to see one just getting punked 1 v1. You're best bet is a duel with another force user. In this case, Voldemort or Grindelwald vs s Dumbledore.

However, in the scenario given, we're neither of them. We're not as smart or as powerful, so you have to be cunning and crafty.

3. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I would agree with you if we were talking about a straight up fight, but we're not. Our mission here is to assassinate Dumbledore, not beat him in a duel.
    Dumbledore isn't likely to have any sort of protection against a killing curse to the back, and I can't imagine that he would expect an attempt that blatant from a student.

4. Golden Shadow

Golden Shadow Fourth Year

In retrospect there were probably some holes in my plan.

A better approach might just be to have someone (who is imperiused) approach Dumbledore on his own, and explode as soon as he's close enough.

As for the explosives themselves, bombarda is a spell taught to fourth years, and a delayed version of the spell cast on clothing is exactly the sort of thing one might find in the restricted section.

And if that doesn't pan out, you can always just have a couple seventh years imperio'd and told to learn the killing curse (from the restricted section, death eater relations or otherwise), and then cast it on Dumbledore from all sides so he can't block all at once (when caught off guard).

5. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Wait until Dumbledore is walking under one of the moving staircases and drop a rock on his head.

These are the plans I come up with at 4:00am.

6. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "You are Draco Malfoy"

Then as the last true male veela, I would obviously seduce Dumbledore.

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Freeze some water on the stairs to the headmaster's office and then kill him after he falls over. He's an old guy, that'll at least incapacitate him for a short while.

8. ROTH963

ROTH963 First Year

Can't he just raise the floor with transfiguration, put on a shield to block the explosion that follows and than non fatally disarm them before using the mind arts to read their minds about who sent them?
    Dumbledore is gay, so this plan might work, just get your leather pants

9. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Do those stories still get made? It's been like a decade since I last saw one, but I don't exactly look for them.

10. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

I just looked at the Tag Veela Drago in Ao3, and through that alone you see that just in the last week over a dozen stories with that tag published a chapter. And I don't doubt that there are quite a few more which are untagged or on other sites.

11. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Dumbledore is old. Go catch dragon pox and cough on him.

12. ROTH963

ROTH963 First Year

But what if we get sick.

:D

13. ExperiencedGamer

ExperiencedGamer Fourth Year

Hahaha. That assumes he hadn't caught it as a kid and puts your own life in more danger, but have a like anyway. :)

As for what I would do... Well, firstly, I would get rid of Crabbe in the process. :p At least after checking what his ambitions are and questioning him; possibly with a little help from Legilimency, if I've been able to puzzle it out. Something like having Crabbe endanger himself where only Dumbledore can help or is, at least, the closest one. With the Imperius on Crabbe, because I don't trust the mofo not to bungle up, either.

On the other hand, why would I assume Dumbledore doesn't know what I need to do...? Hmm. Anyway, the second step would work similarly to Imperiusing Katie Bell in canon, except it would be someone Crabbe had Imperiused who would give Dumbledore something cursed, not Rosmerta.

The third step would be for Crabbe to AK Fawkes if he comes, aiming for Dumbledore so that Fawkes can't dodge. (Well, AK Dumbledore anyway, but Fawkes would likely come immediately.)

Fourth step: the suicide bomber plan, with both Crabbe and the cursed object student having something filled with Erumpent horn powder or fluid or whatever the heck that stuff is called.

5. ???

6. Profit