1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rhythm of War (The Stormlight Archive, 4)(Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Aug 27, 2019.

1. sage1000

sage1000 Fourth Year

Ok so we know book 6 is set 15-20 years after book 5 from WoG, we also know Wax and Wayne (Second Era of Mistborn) is set in that time period. Finally, there are hints of sprens being active in the Scadrial (Mistborn world) as far back as Alloy of Law. The one I remember clearly was the villain of book 1 having a death rattle, the random speech people near death in Roshar give which is caused by one of Odium's spren being nearby.

Basically, I think it is almost certain Odium wins some measure of freedom since the deal with Dalinar was supposed to constrain him to Roshar.

The last bit about a completely different set of characters has been confirmed by Sanderson, the main characters in the second half will be some of the side characters barely mentioned so far (Lift and Rsyn are almost certain) and maybe a couple of new ones.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Got like 5 words into your post before I stopped reading as it seems clear that there are spoilers in there for material after Rythmn of War. Please use spoiler tags for that stuff - this thread is OK for RoW spoilers, but spoilers for later books in the Stormlight series - or other Cosmere books - should be spoiler tagged.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think it is highly likely, yes, save for the substantial time skip. I think it was already WoB'd as a short skip. Like no more than a decade or two. Lift and Renarin are supposed to be main chars.

4. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    From Sanderson, via Coppermind:

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Legit question - is the writing for Vin / Elend widely considered “bad” or just boring?

I ask because it’s one of the only relationships I’ve read in fiction that didn’t annoy me.

I wouldn’t call it good but if I had to rank relationships from fiction I’m not sure what I’d put ahead of it, if only because all the others have been annoying.

I’m probably blanking on some that I liked better though?

Anyway curious if the wider community just found this one boring / bland or actively bad / poorly written.

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sanderson has the tendency to forget his younger characters' personalities whenever he puts them into a relationship. They become soundboards for whatever bland quippy 'couple' dialogue he can think of. It's considerably worse for Adolin/Shallan, but definitely still a problem with Vin/Elend in Mistborn.

I also find the Vin/Elend romance to be very flat. The way they speak to each other and the way they thought about each other is just absolutely passionless. They read more like friendly acquaintances than lovers.

Dalinar/Navani is the first relationship Sanderson has ever written that seems like there is real attraction.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

“They read more like friendly acquaintances than lovers.”

Exactly - I think this is why I didn’t find it annoying while recognizing that it was boring/flat.

Thanks for clarification.

8. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I am certainly not a good indicator for the wider community, especially when it comes to Sanderson as I don't really like his writing all that much, but it was indeed Vin and Elends relationship, especially what it did to Vin as a character, that destroyed most of my enjoyment in the later parts of the trilogy. And I don't think that I have ever really enjoyed any of Sanderson romances, even the best were mediocre in my eyes.

9. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think part of the reason that the Stormlight romance subplots don't work very well is that the gimmick of the series is that most of the characters have mental illness. That can be interesting when you're gradually uncovering Shallan's past, but gets annoying when interacting with Adolin. Etc. At least, that's my take.