1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fullmetal Alchemist?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Scott, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I read all three of these.

The Dresden Crossover reads like a crack!fic on steroids - if the author gave it some room to breathe it'd be a nice little oneshot, but it reads a bit too manic for me.

The Captain America one I couldn't get into. I think Ed's characterization just wasn't quite working for me and neither was the setting. Nothing wrong with it, but I didn't read very far.

The Harry Potter one though... I liked it. I'd have put that in Almost Rec in a heartbeat back in the day, though I think it falls a little short of the Library.

To give a bit more of a review... Truth/The-Gate spits out Roy Mustang into Wizarding Britain during Harry's 4th year. Tom Riddle has truly pissed off Truth, you see, and Mustang needs to do something about it and then he can go home and have his eyesight back. (this isn't really a spoiler - you get it very early on)

The start of this was my favorite, actually. Mustang hasn't got any information about Earth in general and I enjoyed watching him sort out things like money, lodging, history, the state of alchemy, etc. before discovering the wizarding world.

Once he's in the WW though the quality remains fine but I didn't feel that the story went anywhere interesting due to his addition. Most major plot points still happen exactly as they did in canon, just now Mustang is hanging about and doing things on the side or participating.

It's interesting and a fun/easy read, but I can't give it a strong recommendation it when major plot points all remain in place. Great time waster though.

Thanks for these recs.

(I'll get to War Dogs next y'all - all this is really making me wanna go read FMA again)

2. Ched

This is... readable. 3/5 in my opinion, though the first chapter is the strongest, and it's not what most of us want to read in the Universe.
    https://archiveofourown.org/works/17220605/chapters/40494806

Ed doesn't think to trade his arm to bind Al's soul to the armor. Al is therefore a ghost/spirit/soul that no one can see or hear. Story follows Al's POV as he spends the entire 60k+ hanging around Resembool being upset/sad/worried about things. That is literally the story.

In some ways it is exactly as boring as it sounds. But it kept me engaged more than most of the other bullshit I've found in the last week of looking for FMA fics. Or at least the first chapter did, and then I kept reading.

Oh, and here's another HP crossover with both Ed and Mustang that... I didn't like as much as the other one, and makes no sense in some ways, but if you want a time waster that'll never make the library... here you go.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  3. Ched

Adding more "readable but not willing to recommend" fics to this thread.

Missing Autumn and the sequel, Spring Rain, are not bad. They start off fitting into canon more or less, but Ed develops an ability he didn't have in canon and things spin off a bit from there. Mustang acts more like a father than a commanding officer to Ed. Al isn't in the picture in either of these that I recall - IIRC he went to Resembool for something that sort of made sense. The main story doesn't appear, these are like 'missions' that fit into the timeline where Ed was in the military before FMA's plot kicked in full throttle.

The author has a few other fics. I haven't read all of them - or even looked at them - so there might be a gem in there somewhere.

"Almost Recommended" from me.

4. Eimim

Eimim First Year

flames of sorrow
    Is a Roy Mustang centric angsty fic. Not my favourite, but might be up your alley if you love Mustang as a character.

Short summary:
    Roy is the one to cross paths with a vengeful Scar, instead of Edward. And Roy's limbs aren't made of metal.