1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Entry #8

Discussion in 'Q3 Flash Competition' started by Xiph0, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Total Victory?

Lord Voldemort strolled between the broken Hogwart’s doors, cloak fluttering behind him.

Yet, a small part of him seemed to almost mourn the smashed ramparts and slashed portraits. Hogwarts had been his home, it had been…

He shook his head, sneering at such sentimental weakness. This was his moment of triumph. His greatest victory.

Yes. He felt a slow a cruel smile spread across his lips as he entered the ruined Great Hall.

His loyal Death Eaters bowing before him, the blood-traitors and mud-bloods cowering in a corner? This was as the world was meant to be.

Or mostly cowering before him. One fool was still on his feet, face red with anger. Voldemort struggled to place him for a moment, then the name came to him, echoing in his head. Weasley. Ronald Weasley.

“You! You…” the boy had tears running down his face. “Harry… mum… dad… how could you… you bastard… I’ll..” He was practically sobbing now… “Kill you… kill you…”

Voldemort slanted his eyes ever so slightly, and one of his Death Eater’s stepped forward, blond hair escaping from behind his mask as he bowed his head. “A Weasley, my Lord. Blood Traitors all, and poorer than dirt. His parents died when…”

Voldemort waved a dismissive hand, and the man fell silent. Instead, the Dark Lord slowly circled the boy, feeling an odd surge of interest flicker in his breast.

“A Weasley?” a slicing motion with his wand and the boy’s body was frozen, stretched unnaturally and painfully as Voldemort turned back to his Death Eaters. “His parents were traitors, yes. But Lord Voldemort is not without mercy to those pure of blood…”

He turned back to the straining boy. “With your blood? You could be great, if you wished. There can be a place for you, if you but bow your head and take me as your Lord.”

For a long moment there was a tense silence in the hall and Voldemort dared to hope the boy would see reason and realize too much pure blood had been spilled already this day.

Then the boy’s face twisted up in a rictus of hate, and he spat. He SPAT like some muggle savage, right at him.

Red hot rage twisted through Voldemort. He felt his blood boil and his skin was porous with anger. “You DARE? You… Crucio!”

The boy let out an ear splitting shriek, body arching and convulsing.

Voldemort wiped at his face in disgust, and felt his rage building still higher rather than abating. That this boy dared reject him? Sully HIM?

“Crucio!” he hissed again, watching as the boy’s tendons bulged and his very bones cracked from the force of the curse.

“Please! No!” Some bushy-haired witch was surging forwards from among the prisoners. “Please! Leave him alone, don’t…”

Voldemort flicked his wand again and sent the annoying chit flying into the nearby castle wall with a crunch.

There was a gasp from the prisoners, and even his Death Eaters seemed surprised.

Why they seemed so shocked, Voldemort could not say. They had seen him do far worse. Why should this surprise them? The oddness, this sense of wrongness, it made him angrier. Another growl and a wave of his wand had the red-headed boy, now a twitching oblivious mess, crumpled at his feet.

He tired of these games. The defiance. The confusion. Slowly, Voldemort raised his wand, aiming it at the boy. “Avada…”

“Wait!”

Voldemort growled tilting his head as yet another one of the troublesome prisoners surged forwards.

He knew her. Minerva McGonagall. She looked oddly frail as she stepped forwards, her face etched with grief, but eyes devoid of fear.

Voldemort tilted his head, studying the professor for a moment. “Ahh. Our new headmistress.”

There was no hope in the old woman’s eyes, and Voldemort could respect that. There was only grief and a hard iron will.

She raised a desperate hand towards him. “Please. I beg you, if anything in you remains that still…”

Voldemort felt an irrational surge of confusing anger at the familiarity, and he slowly started to raise his wand.

And for just a moment a look of despair entered the old woman’s eyes. Then she straightened her head and her spine, and continued in a cool tone. “I apologize, my Lord. Please… may I speak?”

Voldemort felt his anger slow at the sign of submission. That was all he wanted after all, his proper respect. He waved his hand for the old-witch to continue.

“My Lord.” The Witch’s face puckered like she had eaten something sour, but then she continued. “You have won.” Her eyes flickered to his face for a moment, and whatever she saw there caused her lips tightened still further. “Won completely. We beg your mercy now.”

For some reason he could not say, Voldemort found it hard to imagine this proud woman begging. The thought of it seemed to both annoy and please him. But perhaps it was only fitting for one so proud to bow before his own might?

“You would beg Lord Voldemort’s mercy? After daring to defy his will? On what grounds?”

The woman bowed her head. “Not for my own sake my… my lord. But these?” She swept her hand to the children huddled behind her. “They have done you no harm. I ask… I…”

She paused again and then, with a force of will that was clear even to Voldemort bent her knees into a curtsy. “I ask mercy and understanding of you my Lord. And pledge my loyalty if you will… if you will spare them.”

Still Voldemort hesitated as he felt a wave of uncertainty.

His hesitation was broken when one of his loyal Death Eaters stepped forwards. Snape, a voice in his head whispered.

“My Lord?” The Death Eater inclined his head. “If I may. The students are young still. They have erred, but there is still time to… correct… the lies they have been told.”

Yes. Voldemort nodded to himself. They were the future of Magical Britain. There was merit to that. Snape always spoke with cunning. The bastard. His loyal servant. His…

Voldemort shook his head, ignoring the murmur of concern from among his followers. “Very well. Let it not be said Lord Voldemort is not without mercy.”

For a second, the old professor and the students behind her looked up, hope in their eyes.

It made Voldemort feel disgusted. He dared not show weakness. Mercy, but also strength. “Yes. You may spare those of pure-blood. Dispose of the rest.”

“No!” McGonagall made as though to reach out and grab him, but one his Death Eaters stepped forward, a curse on his lips that sent the old woman staggering to the side.

In front of him, the students were gasping in disbelief, and one of them was crying.

Voldemort ignored them all, stepping over the prone and half-forgotten red-headed boy as he strode from the hall. Behind him, he could hear his Death Eater’s advancing to see his will done.

And yet, Voldemort found it hard to focus on the chaos he had left behind. Something felt off, and he couldn’t put his fingers on what it was. He found himself wandering the corridors of Hogwarts, old memories from long ago distracting him.

The castle had always held special meaning to him, a place of refuge and safety for those of magical blood. A place of adventure? And in his restlessness, he found himself wandering past his old haunts and classrooms. The solitude was good for him, and even the portraits seemed to flee before him, seeking other frames.

Then, suddenly and without warning, he stopped. In front of him hanging on the wall was an old mirror. Nothing magical about it at all. And yet. It seemed to accentuate that feeling of *wrongness* he had been struggling with.

He studied the mirror. The messy dark hair, the red and gold tie, the knobbly knees. Something didn’t seem right about the image in the mirror. For an instant, his eyes, normally blood red, flashed a brilliant green.

Lord Voldemort stumbled in surprise at that. Then straightened again. A trick of the mind. His eyes were a steady red again.

Slowly he marshaled his thoughts and gave his head a shake, feeling the uncertainty fall to the side.

He was Lord Voldemort. The Dark Lord in his moment of victory. He had no equals and no room for doubt.

Yes. Suddenly he felt like himself again, a dark smile carving across his lips.

Doubts banished, Lord Voldemort absentmindedly flattened his fringe over the lightning-bolt scar on his head.

He did not look back at the mirror as he turned back towards the Great Hall. And now his strides were filled with confidence and his mind with plots and plans.

All was as it should be.

2. haphnepls

haphnepls Seventh Year

Way to go full voldie.

Err, I can't really judge this one honestly because we know the prompt in advance. And that ruins it. This is Harry Potter's 3rd person POV. Voldemort? Nope. It's Harry and I know it. We all do. The ending does nothing as such. I just kinda rushed through the story only mildly wondering whether or not will he figure it out. Bad call.

3. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Hmmmm. You very clearly set up from the start that there will be a twist, leaving the reader wondering what the twist will be.

That twist ends up being that it is Voldemort in Harry's body, stuck with some of the lingering feelings from its previous owner. On one hand, knowing the twist does rather cleverly recontextualize earlier bits of the piece - Ron's first word being "Harry", for instance. We're first led to think that Voldemort has killed Harry, as well as Ron's family, only to later find out that Ron is addressing Harry and then listing his victims. Similarly McGonagall saying "if there is anything left in you" - one first thinks anything human, later realizes it is anything of Harry's original will.

In that sense it's very clever and I do applaud it, but on the whole I'm not extremely enthused with the rest of it. Voldemort is a little too in control, is what I think my main issue is. Doubts are one thing, but I think it would have been more tragic if Harry had been able to surface a little more from the inside, as it were.

3/5.

4. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

The problem here truly is that we know the twist before reading it. This has to be Harry's POV, so we know that Voldemort is Harry. It would have had a bigger impact, if we didn't know. Apart from that, Voldemort is a bit too one-dimensional. He's just evil -- and nothing else. The writing and grammar are fine. 3/5.

5. Microwave

Microwave Professor

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

1472 words

7. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Voldemort is such a hard character to write, and I have very very rarely seen it done well, and this was pretty average in character. General bland evil guy who likes to be evil.

The writing was mostly good and the twist was interesting. The characters didn't seem to sit quite right for me.

2.8/5

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Good premise, though the 'twist' is somewhat spoiled by the prompt. I'm honestly not quite sure how well it would work even without that, but I think it's a neat one-shot regardless.

The way that (initially) some of these hostages looked at Voldemort with HOPE in their eyes was great foreshadowing, if we hadn't already known the twist. Also I admit I did skim down to check the ending, to make sure you used the prompt, so I may not have given the story all the attention it deserved.

Overall a good entry, thank you.

9. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Nice entry. The hints came together at the end but a touch more betrayal from Hermione and Ron would be good. But the strange detachedness of Voldemort /Harry comes across well.

3/5

10. LucyInTheSkye

LucyInTheSkye Seventh Year

For obvious reaons this would have been way better if I'd stuumbled upon it on ao3 or ffn, and it's sad that every reader on here already knows the twist by the first paragraph. I'm having a difficult time judging when I would have cottoned on and how impactful this would have been.

I think you have come up with a very clever story and the pacing is good, the hints for Harry are there. It's well-crafted. I'm not completely convincd by Ron's reaction, would he ever want to kill Harry? Even if there is little chance of there being any Harry left in his body, would he actually ever want to kill his best friend? I think Harry is just as important to Ron as his parents are, if not more. I liked McGonagall and I mostly liked Voldemort. There's maybe a bit of nuance missing, but it's pretty good.

11. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'll be honest, I just assumed you'd fucked up the prompt at first. That maybe says more about me than it does about you and/or the entry, but it does maybe mean that I got more out of the reveal than others seem to have done. It's quite nicely written - the reveal the entry as a whole - but I found myself focusing more on the questions it leaves behind: what's the timeline here, for instance? It seems like it's in the aftermath of the Battle of Hogwarts, but no-one seems terribly surprised that Harry is killing people.

12. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Well, I was lucky enough that I forgot for a moment where I was, and read this entry for what it is. The appeal to Harrymort's humanity, people looking up with hope in their eyes, his confused inner monologue; I liked all of these quite a lot. The concept alone and these elements are enough for me to overlook the general blandness of the other characters' voices. 4/5.

13. FitzDizzyspells

FitzDizzyspells Seventh Year DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

This was a pretty good twist.

I feel like it would've worked better if you hadn't used the name Voldemort throughout the story. Maybe you think that might've tipped us off, but it really wouldn't have.

Instead, I'm left scratching my head about how Harry became a Dark Lord and A) still used the name Voldemort, B) still called his supporters Death Eaters, and C) someone still needed to tell him who Ron was, despite the fact that Hogwarts had been his home.

I'm sure you have some sort of interesting headcanon to explain all this, and tbh I'd really liked to have glimpsed more of that headcanon. Did Voldemort possess Harry at some point? I feel like that could've been shared in a way that didn't give away the twist. Maybe something like:

“A Weasley, my Lord. Blood Traitors all, and —"
    "He knows who I am!" Ron roared. "He knows who I am!"

I really liked the scene with McGonagall and Snape interacting with Voldemort. It was well-crafted and in-character, and I was on the edge of my seat watching to see how it played out.

14. Dubious Destiny

Dubious Destiny Seventh Year

I'm surprised this entry has not been disqualified. It's technically a Voldemort PoV, even if he is in Harry's body. I suspect the story could do with some trimming as well.

I'm surprised by the naivete and active ignorance Lord Voldemort is showing. It might be a coping mechanism? I liked the character conflict between Voldemort and Harry . I think Voldemort's megalomania is overstated and his need for respect is played upon far too often. The story had my interest till Hermione's death. Her death (knocking out?) evoking no reaction was where you missed a step.

I think the plot is good, but in the end Harry had no agency in your story and that's a serious mistake.

I suppose you were going for a Red Wedding take.

I'm giving this a 3/5

15. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The monologue at the beginning is already a bit of a wash. I’d say he’s too cliche but Voldemort is pretty much like that in canon it’s just the way you show his thoughts that's a bit much. Sneering, cruel smile, fluttering cloak? Too many cliche sentences.

Ahhh, I see. This is a Harry turned Voldemort story, and there’s still a bit of Harry in there. Nicely done twist, I didn’t see it coming because I forgot the prompt. There was a good amount of foreshadowing but the bit at the very start with Voldemorts cliche filled introspection with Voldemort being sentimental over Hogwarts just seems like it was his memories as a student, not Harry's even though they have that in common. If that's what you were going for (Harry's and Voldemorts common love of Hogwarts) than that was a clever addition as well.

16. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    This one was mine! lmao clearly based on the feedback not the right story to write with this prompt, even if i had fun.

Hah thanks! Your comment might be my favorite here. The fun part of the story for me was writing all of those 'it could be read two ways' bits. A few others I stuck in too. So made me pleased to see someone else enjoying them like that!

Huh. Interesting idea on not using the name voldemort. I kind of wish i'd thought of that now, and kept it a bit more mysterious.

I was going for that! thanks!