1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Primal Hunter by Zogarth - M

Discussion in 'Other Fandoms Review Board' started by Spanks, May 4, 2021.

1. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Title: The Primal Hunter
    Author: Zogarth
    Rating: M
    Genre: LitRPG/Adventure
    Library Category: Original Fiction
    Pairings: N/A
    Summary:
    On just another normal Monday, the world changed. The universe had reached a threshold humanity didn’t even know existed, and it was time to finally be integrated into the vast multiverse. A world where power is the only thing that one can truly rely on.

Jake, a seemingly average office worker, finds himself thrust into this new world. Into a tutorial filled with dangers and opportunities. In a world that should breed fear and concern, an environment that makes his fellow coworkers falter, Jake instead finds himself thriving.

Perhaps… Jake was born for this kind of world, to begin with.

Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/36049/the-primal-hunter

If you liked Defiance of the Fall then you'll probably like this. Just like DotF the Earth is integrated into a vast multiverse filled with godlike beings and other races all fighting for power. The main character is Jake Thayne, and he like every other human is thrust into one of many millions of tutorials for the humans of Earth. Each person is given a class they can choose at the beginning made up of Warrior, Healer, Archer and Mage (you can branch out once you go up in rank). Jake Thayne has been practicing archery since he was a boy so he obviously picks up the bow and arrow. Jake is supposed to be a normal office worker with a talent for bows, but he doesn't know he has something no one expected, the bloodline known as the Primal Hunter. This bloodline is what will set him apart from the rest of humanity.

The tutorial is a LOT of grinding and Jake figuring things out such as how mana works, how to distribute his points and picking the best skills. But not to worry the tutorial also has a bunch of things such as dungeons, side character arcs and a major conflict brewing between the other members of his tutorial.

While this is pretty similar to Defiance it's more of a straight litrpg. There's not much of the eastern cultivator element. However, there's still a little bit included in the story with something called the Akashic Records playing a big part of the story, there a mention of someone called the Daofather but the Dao hasn't made any entrance into the story.

I think it's a solid 4/5. It can definitely move up to 5/5 once the story on Earth and beyond picks up some steam.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

How is the supporting cast? One reason I like DotF so much is that Zac doesn't try to do things completely by himself. He has his sister, Ogras (whatever role you cast him in), and a whole host of secondary cast that might not be fleshed out but are still clearly different people with different motivations and skillsets. Randidly Ghosthound, by contrast, pretty much flies solo and while people may enter his orbit it's not the same thing as having comrades.

3. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I haven’t read Ghosthound so I can’t quite compare, but I’d say it’s a bit of a mixed bag. In this Jake is definitely more of a loner. He starts the tutorial with some of his coworkers. But by and large he eventually hunts alone. He even observes that the primal hunter is a solitary person and ability. So yeah it’s probably more Ghosthound in how he goes about his business. Not to say it doesn’t have it’s supporting cast we see POVs of, but they are doing their own things separate from Jake.

Edit: Also! Daily updates!

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  4. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I've kept pretty up to date with it and tbh, I'd rate it closer to 3/5 myself. The numbers get a bit inflated compared to how I'd imagine they should, but then again I've never been a fan of just 'huge numbers get even bigger'.

5. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

I've been keeping up with this story since it showed up on the trending lists. It's definitely readable, the writing is serviceable, the action is fine. There's nothing original about it, it's like comfort food, yet another system apocalypse story with a few adjustments here and there to make it a bit different from the others. The cheat powers are different, the system is slightly different, but the whole feel is something familiar.

I think it's too early to say either way if Jake is gonna become a loner but the hints are there, especially with the class options he keeps taking to make being a loner more likely. He also has the potential to get very edgy so I hope that doesn't happen.

3/5 for me as well.

6. valrie

valrie Fifth Year

I agree with the others. It's alright, but nothing super original. The tutorial arc in the beginning is actually the most boring one for me. It gets more interesting after that is over in my opinion. I'd give it 3/5 but with potential for going to 4/5 if it continues as in the newest arc.

7. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The best way I can describe this is "okay", although comfort food would also easily fit.

Does it do anything special for the Lit part? No, not really. The author throws in other POVs every so often and I wish he wouldn't. Dialogue isn't great, the prose is basic, and the plotting isn't too tight or anything.

Does it do anything special for the RPG? No, not really. The mechanics work like they usually do, except that Perception was awkwardly added onto the whole shebang to make the main character's gimmick work. Skills, stats, levels, titles. You know the drill if you've ever read a LitRPG before.

I guess Primal Hunter's primary virtue is the ability to not really fuck up? There's been no decision like DotF's had that's made me say "fuck off". It's just a fairly smooth ride throughout, offering nothing that sticks in the mind either positively or negatively. Something ideally suited to just follow along with.

I think 3/5 fits this to a T.

8. DeathShade

DeathShade Fourth Year

I've dropped so many stories of this kind, because the amount of stupid just adds up until I can't take it anymore. The Primal Hunter hasn't reached that point yet at least :)

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Finally read it. I think I prefer both DotF and Randidly if I'm honest, though this is in the same vein and not bad.

The best part is the hawk family, imo. Which illustrates something that these stories struggle with - the supporting cast.

In DotF Zack manages to actually have friendships/relationships, even if they're often bare bones. He cares/helps/etc.

Randidly and Jake here in Primal Hunter take being solo to the next level. They have acquaintances but far fewer character interactions of any substance. And DotF is a damn low bar to clear there.

Also feel like Primal Hunter starts out slower. The tutorial was a full book Arc in itself, which is fine, but it means that it feels like very little of the 'meat' of the story has happened for 260 chapters. Tutorial, make friends with a god, then find pylon, train, make friends with Hawks, go to one world meeting.

That's it? I mean sure there's been mini arcs mostly centered around fighting/training but they feel like filler moreso than I've found those arcs to feel like I'm other stories.

Hawks ftw tho. Wondering if they'll turn up as monsters in the Treasure Hunt Arc ? Could be interesting and create fun drama given that we know Jake would pick them over humans.

Edit - @BTT What decision in DotF made you decide it should fuck off?

10. Tutorial Boss

Tutorial Boss Seventh Year

I can't rate this higher than a 2/5, even putting into account that it's just a guilty pleasure bog-standard litrpg. I have pretty trash taste so I like a lot of those, but I think I rate a lot of stories primarily on how much I end up skimming, and by fuck do I end up skimming. The author drops 3-4 consecutive chapters of grinding on you at a time with pages full of stat dumps and giant numbers that just make my eyes gloss over paired with the MC killing enemies that clearly stand no chance against them, before giving one chapter of semi-interesting interlude or character interaction before going back to more of the same.

11. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

Total shit. Hundreds of thousands of words to describe unloseable scenarios with zero impact and zero plot. Similar to playing Diablo on softcore, failure is impossible here. As such the only possible redeeming features remaining are character interactions and choreography, both of which the author fails at too. Almost everything is telling rather than showing, and the viewer has the pleasure of reading "Your level increased by 1" endlessly.

2/5, there's complete sentences.