1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Good Independent!Harry

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by JamesGordan, Sep 23, 2021.

1. JamesGordan

JamesGordan Banned

I'm looking for some good stories where Harry is very independent, and learning magic on his own. I prefer young age (under 17 emancipated) and for it to be over 100k words if possible. Any suggestions let me know

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

3. Madval29

Madval29 First Year

High Score:
    I keep forgetting this community is anti mlm I have two great examples.

4. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

It's not so much that the community is anti-slash. It's that most slash stories, no matter how good the plot is, mutilate Harry's character. His sexual submission (usually to Draco or Snape) becomes central to his characterization/the story. It renders Harry unrecognizable.

I occasionally open slash fics with thousands of reviews, hoping that the plot is interesting enough to overcome whatever relationship is forefront. I always close them within three chapters, because it becomes clear that the stories, no matter how well-written, are just fetishes for (mostly) female readers, usually including BDSM and master/slave elements. Even if there's not much sex, the focus is still on the psychological melodrama related to the slash. There's nothing wrong with that, but you won't find many fans of it here.

Show me a slash fic that doesn't fall into those traps, and I'll read it.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm absolutely anti-slash - by which I mean stories which make Harry gay.

I have no problem with stories that make other characters gay per se. But as a rule, I have no interest in stories where Harry is not the main character. So I tend to avoid those stories too, just for other reasons.

As a result, the only time you would really find me reading a homosexual MC would be a Dumbledore-centric fic, as Dumbledore is one of the few characters I can tolerate as a non-Harry POV character (the others being Voldemort and Grindelwald).

6. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    DLP is incredibly gay.

We just like Harry as a top, and slash does not allow that to happen.

7. Madval29

Madval29 First Year

High Score:
    Hopefully you like this one! It has a unique take on magic and Harry not needing anyone! It’s a little slow to start but it’s great!

https://archiveofourown.org/works/7693897

8. Studly Dudley

Studly Dudley Banned

I always knew you were a pretentious windbag, and while your rampant homophobia doesn't surprise me much, I din't think you would ever display it this openly, showing yourself to be even more clueless and out of touch than expected. One wonders if you call yourself Taure because you're a Tory. Your contempt for a marginalized group of people sure lends credit to that theory...

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you're going to troll me, you should probably try doing so in such a way that doesn't reveal you to be the same guy who constantly posts troll reviews on my stories.

You know, you might have actually had me going for a while if you had just stuck to a disingenuous "everyone who dislikes slash is homophobic" argument. Although that argument has already been repeatedly debunked, if it had been put forward in an earnest way, I might have engaged with it in good faith, allowing your troll attempt to succeed by wasting my time with pointless arguments.

But you couldn't resist the extra step of dropping your "Tory Taure" calling card, signalling that it's safe to completely ignore you.

10. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Hi @Studly Dudley and welcome to DLP. Unfortunately you need to be a member here at least a few months to make fun of Taure. Also please try to keep posts on topic, or it's a permaban you fucking retard.

11. Studly Dudley

Studly Dudley Banned

To be fair, it is a rather funny, cheeky and accurate calling card, and I don't see how it would delegetimize my valid point. Anyway, let's get back on topic, shall we? "The Death Eaters of Hogwarts", "Rustlings In The Dark" and "Path of Decision" are some pretty awesome independent Harry stories!