1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Cinematic Universe General Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Jul 18, 2017.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "Tracksuit Mafia" sounds like something straight outta Poland lmao

2. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I went in expecting to love it, I came away thinking... ok???

Hope it picks up a bit more. It was neither funny, nor thrilling, nor intriguing.

3. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  4. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

I read an interview somewhat recently where he said (about his acting career), "If I'm still doing this (Spider-Man) when I'm 30 then something has gone wrong." It had something to do with taking over RDJ's mantle as the anchor of the MCU. So, ha-ha.

Honestly, Marvel desperately needs him at the moment, until it has a chance to have someone just as loved as an actor and character. There's really nobody right now, in their current cast, that beats him. So Marvel probably throwing massive amounts of money at him does not surprise me in the least.

It also wouldn't surprise me if the interview wound up on Feige's desk and he's like, "... what? Get the kid on the phone. Now!"

5. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Holland is a massive Spider man fan. And one of the complaints about other Spider-Man’s is they were to old.

I wouldn’t be surprised if part of that statement is his belief that Spider-Man should be a teen, collage age kid.

6. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    At a certain point, someone has to lead the next generation. It'll likely be him.

I imagine they want the MCU to span at least 3 epics.

7. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I think Chris Hemsworth/Thor is just as beloved as RDJ/Tony. Especially now that he is been allowed to show off his comedic chops.

I would argue his arc was equally as strong as Tony's and Steve's

8. Mr. Mixed Bag

Mr. Mixed Bag Seventh Year

I agree with you, but I'm not sure how long he'll be sticking around as a major player. I'll admit I'm not up to date on his contract situation, but it certainly seems like they're moving towards phasing out the original six who've been at it for over a decade now. Wouldn't surprise me if a key part of Love and Thunder was easing Jane Foster into the role of a replacement.

Then again, based off the scene at the end of End Game they seem to be enjoying tossing Thor into the Guardians dynamic, and I'd be surprised if were satisfied with just one movie exploring that.

9. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

I've got no issue with Hemsworth's likability. He's always had it on the personal side, but not on the movie chops side. It took him three movies to finally find his niche. They took him too seriously in the first two, and the stories weren't really all that great. Still entertaining, just not a good as I know they are capable of doing. And he's not exactly anchor material for the entire phase of movies. He's the muscle, the comedy, and the space-magic angle. Maybe they'll do something else with Love and Thunder.

Until then there's only one person that'll be able to cover almost every angle, and that's Holland. There's a reason Spider-Man was and still is the crossover king in comics. He fits in absolutely everywhere.

10. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

This is really the problem I have with the perpetual storytelling of Big Two comics in general. I'm not someone who writes off the medium itself, I think there are incredible stories, but for my money they are found in the creator-driven indie sphere when people are allowed to write things that have an arc and an end.

Carrying that formula over into movies has undoubtable been successful but feels like it's monopolized the moviegoing landscape so that now the only things we see being made with Big Budgets feel more like a TV show made by people whose only goal is to keep the wheel churning for as long as possible.

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Who wants to bet 'Uncle' is Kingpin and they brought back D'Onofrio, just like they brought in Charlie Cox for Spiderman. There are a few solid clues already. That laugh in the first few minutes of Hawkeye episode 3 sounding just like him. 'Fat Man Auto Repair.' The building of the auction/party being Kingpin's penthouse.

We gettin a Daredevil reboot fam.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I just started watching Daredevil on Netflix this week and coincidentally this article came out today - https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/marvel-boss-confirms-charlie-cox-daredevil-mcu/

Two questions I have, given that apart from Season 1 of Agents of SHIELD this is the only Marvel TV series I've seen so far.

One, if this actor wanted to stay on as Daredevil, why did that need to approved / confirmed / accepted? He's been playing the guy already in the MCU, right? I figured that would be standard.

Second, what about this quote:
    This article (and others like it) make it seem like the Marvel TV shows, which I've always assumed were part of the MCU given how they reference events from the movies, aren't *actually* part of the MCU or showing much cohesion like the movies do (though apparently some of the TV shows tie in to each other like Buffy and Angel did).

Anyone able to clarify if I'm reading this right?

13. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Netflix shows canonicity to the MCU is very uncertain. They were definitely *intended* to be canon when they were initially released (characters crossing over) but I believe the showrunners were not involved with Feige/the MCU after the first season or two. After the Disney/Marvel acquisition, there was even more confusion.

14. Galen

Galen DA Member

1) Marvel canceled all four of the “Defenders” shows a while back. The heroes themselves had an uncertain future, and there was apparently a real chance that the next show would be a reboot. The Daredevil actor (Charlie Cox) said in an interview at the time that he hadn’t been told anything, which fans took to mean he was being replaced. There were (thankfully wrong) rumors that they were replacing the Kingpin actor as well, but Cox is easily the most popular actor in any of the Defenders’ series.

2)Pretty much what Heleor said, but I do know that any project Kevin Feige is involved in (possibly this new Daredevil) makes an immense effort to stay consistent. As far as I know, every TV series that was made after Endgame adhered to that as well.

15. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

My understanding of it is that Marvel Studios and Marvel TV started out much more separate. Feige ended up being head honcho at Marvel Studios, with full control over the movies, while Jeph Loeb was in charge at Marvel TV. I get the impression that there was a certain amount of jockeying for position between the two of them with Loeb seeking to use the success of the MCU to provide his tv shows a solid foundation, while Feige clearly didn't like having anything in his world that was not in his direct control. This meant that the TV people would talk around the shows being canon (because they were canon compatible), while Feige always held that the movies came first and would never be bound by things established in the TV shows. The end result of all this was was that when Feige was promoted to chief creative officer at Marvel Entertainment (putting him in charge of both Marvel Studios and Marvel TV's creative direction), Loeb was on the outs.

With Loeb gone, any senior voice suggesting a canon position for any of the Marvel TV shows was gone, and they were officially and unequivocally non-canon. Feige then quickly moved to establish his own fully canon TV stable with the likes of Wandavision, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki, and Hawkeye, while also making it clear that all the old shows produced under Loeb were not canon.

However, the Netflix shows were (for the most part) well liked, particularly Daredevil (RIP Iron Fist) and Marvel is in the business of pleasing people. They understand that if they want to do something contrary to fans' hopes, it better be pretty fucking great, and probably figured that it would be easier to simply cannibalise the Netflix shows for casting choice in their upcoming plans. So we're in the situation now where Cox is still playing Daredevil (because why piss off fans over a perfectly fine casting choice), but the actual show he was previously in is an alternate reality and not really part of the mainline MCU.

I assume the intent is similar with their reuse of Ock, Goblin, Electro, and presumably, Garfield and Maguire if they do indeed feature. I very much doubt Feige wants to canonise the events of the Sony movies in the MCU (even if in an alternate reality). Instead, I think they simply want to nod towards them, as they did with Quicksilver in Wandavision, without being bound by the actual stories they featured in. The people look the same, but their stories might be different.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Multiverse shenanigans really was the best route to take the MCU in. You can write off all your extant properties as alt universes, cherrypick from those properties for crossover into the main universe, and there won't be any real continuity problems. You can also play in the alt universes (What if / Zombies / x-men reboot) without affecting anything important.

17. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

That's exactly why I'm wary given the news, that Cox-Daredevil is supposed to be back.

He's easily one of the most likeable and entertaining heroes Marvel has on any screen, and with D'Onofrio's Kingpin he has one, probably even the best villain.

But the show was so much more than a fantastic protagonist and antagonist, and that's due to the people behind the scenes, who I am honestly not sure will be the same in the future.

I have the feeling re-introducing Cox is nothing more than a token effort to earn some goodwill beforehand just to deliver something completely different.

Disney has a habit of ruining characters (Loki, Winter Soldier, Hawkeye) and even franchises (Star Wars, MCU) because they prioritise a message over the actual content. Can you imagine them producing something even close to resembling the Netflix shows, which had been depressing, dark, violent and gritty? Hawkeye's goofy cartoonish Tracksuit mafia isn't exactly filling me with confidence in that regard.

I'm almost of the opinion to let the show stay dead and leave us with fond memories.

18. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

So far Daredevil is good (I'm on episode 6) but it's not amazing yet - guessing it gets there? I admit Kingpin is perfect though. I wish I could watch Hawkeye on Disney+ but no subscription - he's my favorite character in the MCU.

19. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

What? How on earth did Loki, ruin Loki as a character?

Also Hawkeye is pretty good. We finally get to know who Clint really is separate from the Avengers. So how is it ruining his character?

Also, I'm pretty sure the Tracksuit mafia guys are an homage/adaptation of an actual comic story that was really well liked.

20. Mr. Mixed Bag

Mr. Mixed Bag Seventh Year

I haven't read the run myself but I know enough to say that yes, the tracksuit mafia is lifted straight from the Matt Faction Hawkeye comics that the Disney+ series is based on.

Also, going back a post:

Obviously, this is a subjective topic. But I can say, and I don't think I'm alone in this, that these are qualities I could care less about in a show. You clearly prefer a different style than the classic MCU fare and that's perfectly fine, but it hardly counts as "ruining" characters to shed a different tone on them. It's actually about as comic-y as it gets.

Oh, and what do you mean by

because I genuinely cannot figure out what you're getting at.