1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Antiquity Link by semprini - PG-13

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Memory King, May 12, 2008.

1. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

I'm enjoying it, pity I'm only up to chapter 7, and FictionAlley is down... The pains I endure.

4/5

2. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

Normally I would despise the entire idea of a Japan field trip (Katanas! Manga! Gayfail!) but it was actually fun in this one. You really can't accuse the author of being fanboy over the the Japanese wizarding culture, if anything it's even more retarded than England's.

This is one of my favorite post-DH fics (granted, not saying much). Minimal Ginny is the key to win.

3. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Sequel is up at Fanfiction.net, so far about 3 chapters and 40k words. Link to Harry Potter and the Amulet of the Moon.

Haven't started reading it yet, but I enjoyed the Antiquity Link, although it dragged at places (especially Japan). One negative sign of the sequel is that Draco Malfoy is tagged as one of the main characters, but Kingsley was tagged in the first one and he wasn't around for much of the story, so I'm not going to let that stop me.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  4. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Read the first few chapters of the new sequel. I'm about to fall asleep from the lack of anything going on at over 50,000 words into it. It's like Hp/Lost crossover.

I absolutely loved the beginning of "Link" until the "test" where it all got severely fucked up and Indy!Harry turned into Canon!Harry again.

Now in "Moon" it's Canon!Harry being lame and trod upon. Hopefully it picks up at some point. But if they find a bomb shelter on the island I'm bailing.

So far 2.5/5 and that's only because it's written (spelling & grammar) well and it's incredibly average.

5. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Yes, I have to agree on the sequel. It's a snooze fest with a canon Harry instead of a competent Harry. Which is backwards considering all he accomplished and went through in Antiquity Link.

It's just boring. Even the H/L was yawn worthy.

6. James

James Unspeakable

Holy moly, what a necro! But genuine review! I've just read this - like, 12 years too late, evidently - and was pretty surprised I haven't read it before — I could swear I've read every non-angst non-slash HP fic that wasn't totally stupid.

It's surprisingly fresh and enjoyable read. All characters are believable, Trio have this closeness about them, and I very much enjoyed magical japan - I can see why people were against this idea, I remember the magical katanas that were all the rage ten years ago - but here's written as clearly different. I loved the opening scene, the random breakfast by Kingsley.

As for negatives, there are few: author is better then some nowadays at not including every thought (kch Prince of Slytherin, kch) about his story, yet still writes quite a bit more than's needed: That
    dream sequence in which Harry is with parents could be quite easily a third of a chapter, given the mamooth sizes, instead of two; it was quite obvious it was a dream sequence or dream AU, and I skipped so much I nearly skipped the point
    , the japan parts… It's not so much bad, more like it really drags. Not in the way some stories do - "what do I care about story of the grandfather of a cousin of that one dude Harry met twice" - but more like… general feeling of "I get it. You can get to the point" every 30 minutes.

As for sequel, that was a huge letdown, very much in line with canon: I hoped for "Leader Potter" doing stuff and rebuilding, and instead got a fic where:
    - Harry isn't really a great wizard, but more of Harry Jesus "I'm great because I turn the other cheek and suffer" Potter
    - first half is rather slow, and Harry is quite a bit more passive
    - second half is about AU, which, obviously doesn't really matter
    - why the AU happens is a "mystery" — and whose solution was obvious, like, two paragraphs in, checkhov's gun and all
    - Draco fucking Malfoy is really the hero of the second half, and that's just not acceptable.

I can emphatically say, that anyone itching for a HP fanfic, who missed this before, should read the first part, if only to escape the Hermione wank and/or stupid harems that seem to be the fandom norm these days. Then, if you're particularly brave - or bored - you might want to try the second part as well.

Current links:
    - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5238750/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Antiquity-Link
    - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5314422/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Amulet-of-the-Moon

7. sombrero

sombrero First Year

I enjoyed it until the
    dream sequence
    you mentioned. It really killed it for me. The damn thing goes on and on and on — I ended up scrolling down to the end of the chapter only to see that it wasn't even done yet.
    The part that pissed me off the most is probably that it happens at a turning point in the story where I was actually invested in the goblin plot, and why/how Shacklebolt was involved behind the scenes, and instead I just get this endless meandering.

8. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    I agree I wasnt a fan of that bit or that whole 'arc'. But I did think it redeemed itself afterwards enough that it felt like a blip as opposed to the whole fic crashing.

The best fic ever? No. A solid and entertaining read even all these years later? Yes definitely. I'd give it a 3.5 rounded up to a 4/5