1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter and the Accidental Horcrux by the Imaginizer - T

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by Peter North, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Hakairyu

Hakairyu Seventh Year

As of eleven hours ago, this story (or rather the sequel, which I think is why Xion didn’t notice) got an 8 chapter update. The author doesn’t seem to be coming back, but they decided to upload all of their backlog. 2021 keeps on giving with the dead fics.

2. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I noticed that. I'm considering rereading the first one before I have a look at the new chapters, but it's cool that they decided to release them after all this time.

I followed the Accidental Horcrux from the get go, but by the time it had been abandoned, I'd pretty much stopped reading the updates.

3. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

This story was good and I enjoyed it. I just skipped over the absurdly long self indulgent Authors Notes at the beginning of every chapter and did fine. Then the author made an entire chapter an AN about how they were rage quitting the fandom because jk is a terf or something.

A good story. Shame it’s ending. Maybe one day I’ll go back and read the 80k words of authors notes. But probably not.

4. sombrero

sombrero First Year

Well I read the whole two fics and I can easily recommand to NOT bother with the sequel. It's gone absolutely nowhere, as one could have expected, and the last 8 drafts released don't really constitute any sort of satisfying conclusion.

I personally never ever bother with author notes so I have nothing to say about those but reading through this thread, it seems like it does explain the weird psychological meanderings plaguing this fic, especially the sequel.

I skimmed through the majority of the actual wordcount, easily. Paragraphs are not broken up enough for me, I can't be arsed trying to follow internal monologues bringing more questions than they answer, nor did I car for any of the techno-babble about making an SQL database in a magical spell...

The writing was good enough that I stuck with it through the whole thing, so I'm still sad to see it gone. Some ideas were interesting and I wanted to see them pan out. Crazy Daphne was one, it was abandoned. Harry subconsciously balancing being a good soul but working for a murdering psychopath was promising, but it didn't really become anything. Harry really didn't even DO that much at all. Tom in Harry's head potentially also evolving and becoming more human, I was looking forward to that too. Actually forcing a drastic change in society regarding muggle/wizard relationship, whether toward complete segregation or complete domination, it seemed like the author had a holistic enough grasp on the workings of the world to pull it through — but we're not getting that either.

I'd rate the original fic 4/5 for setting up something really interesting but the sequel 2/5 for failing to follow up.

Oh and by the way, if you don't like slash, it should be noted that Harry does hold hands, goes to dates, cuddles and has deep conversations about love with his best male friend. But it's not gay! Because they don't kiss, you see.