1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"One Piece" anime and manga

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by CrashLTD, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Apparently Yamato will be joining the crew. At least something good will come out of this stupid arc.

2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, that's episode 1,000. Pretty fantastic. They went all out on the animation, as expected. I'd heard they were pulling in a lot more animators; folks wanted to be a part of the 1,000th episode.

Reading my post at the top of this page, from a year ago, "The final battle should be coming up shortly." A year's short, right?
    Still enjoying it all. The Raid has been a fun read, though I wonder if it's even going to be successful.

3. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    And I said this in reply, and I was still underestimating it.

Idk. I'm getting tired of the One Piece boss fight formula. Because it's always the same. Round 1 Luffy loses and should by all accounts be dead. He is saved, stuff happens, he gets a power up. Usually loses round 2 as well, and should then be dead. But they don't finish him, or he gets miraculously saved, then proceeds to win round 3.

It's getting fairly tedious and predictable, and garners little respect for Luffy himself.

4. Raiko

Raiko Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I would put the odds of the raid failing at under 1%. It's a shonen, Luffy is going to become pirate king and there just isn't time in the story for this to fail and have to have raid 2.0 to defeat Kaido.

I read One Piece for the world-building, not the battles, and I'm 100% ready for the raid to be over. Luffy needs to be clearly above the yonkos by the end, so I'm hoping this is the last time we see Luffy getting multiple losses per arc, and the formula changes going forward.

5. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    The world-building is derivative of itself. We get very interesting locales of various environments, but the situations and storylines are always a variation of the same thing, with the mandatory and miraculous increase in power levels in the locals to exactly match the gang as they are now. It's ridiculous.

And even the characters that used to be one of the main draw for me; there's so many by now, that it's easy to see the pattern and categorize them by type; which is never a good thing.

6. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Okay so the past while has definitely been a little meh with me just waiting for everyone to win their respective fights, but the last panel for this week's chapter actually got me fucking excited:
    Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 9.54.17 AM.png
    Fucking yes lmao.

7. Rehio

High Score:
    As to what they're talking about -

Please, please let it be that a fucking island ate the Elephant Fruit or something. I need it.

8. Nazgoose

High Score:
    I think it's that someone ate a giant elephant fruit, and has been napping for centuries at a time and so was treated as an island.

But the more fun option would be that a giant island sized elephant ate a fruit like Chopper's and gained sapience.

9. Rehio

High Score:
    Funkfreed exists; an inanimate object that gained sentience. Maybe there's a giant version of the Zou Zou Fruit.

I was surprised when Zoro and Sanji wrapped up their fights so quickly. Having an entire chapter dedicated to Luffy and Kaido beating the hell out of each other was lovely. Hope they spend some budget on the anime version so we can get another Katakuri-tier fight.

10. Nazgoose

High Score:
    Hot damn I'd totally forgotten. K I want your idea now lmao.

Haven't watched the anime version of the Katakuri fight, but it was 100% one of my favorite ones in the manga. It was amazing from start to finish.

11. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

1044 is out.

That was a fun chapter and a very interesting new design. Looney Tunes Saiyan!

I'm glad it seems like Wano is almost done. I enjoyed it at first but it dragged on a bit much. I maintain that One Piece is much better enjoyed as a long binge rather than once every week or two. Then again, that's probably the case with most media.

12. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    @Heleor I think it's the opposite tbh. Experiencing the whole breadth of One Piece in quick succession would make very obvious how repetitive the formula is.

13. Rameses

Rameses Squib

Onepiece situation is tragic of epic proportions. It's not suited for this era. The general fandom has very little mental capabilities. I doubt even 90% of them can process like half of the themes in the story.

--------

Most of the shonen manga follow repetitive formula. Even regular western series too.

Some villain doing bad stuff. The hero gang will defeat the villain at the end of the arc. An overarching end-game villain orchestrating every bad thing in each arc.

The problem here is, you didn't invest that much emotionally in the story. So it looks lifeless.

14. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    @Rameses I disagree with you.
    True, but they never get to repeat the formula so many times that it becomes this blatantly obvious.

And also, the repetition in One Piece doesn't simply follow the generic theme that you outlined of bad guy doing bad things and heroes stopping them. Each arc has very specific twists and turns that repeated each every time, from the initial setup down to the exact flow of the final battles that are always (always) the same, beat by beat.

I am very invested in the story. I wish we'd get back to it. My one shining light is that surely we will have to get back to the actual plot after Wano; there's not much left to do after 2 Warlords have been beaten (or so I hope). We'll have to begin to see the endgame state of One Piece at some point.
    If the repetition doesn't bother you, great. I wish it didn't bother me either.

The problem here is, One Piece is repeating itself incessantly and only changes the background setting and the names. So it can get tiring.

15. Rameses

Rameses Squib

When I first watched HP films back in the day, my friend made a comment on the movies, especially on the 4th one. He was like - how many times they gonna repeat quidditch game for each film? Thank god, they arranged new tournament instead of same thing.

I never read such review in HP community. When you like something, it doesn't become repetitive. Same way, we read fanfics which repeat same thing again and again for millionth time.

Please tell me what's repetitive in WCI and Wano arcs. Did Summit war saga also have same formula? Only fight I find similar is 'vs Crocodile'. I treat it as call back to the old thing rather than repetitive.

They are not warlords. They are emperors. I don't think Big Mom is done yet.

I agree Wano is very lengthy arc. I am also not big fan of it. 150 chapters to just focus on one island and keeping the readers in dark about everything else, is very huge gambit. This sorta fatigue is expected. I took 2 years break to read the whole thing in one go. But it went on, so caught up with the manga last year.

May be the Oden flashback and Onigashima segments excited me too much. Those who were reading chapters on daily basis might have fed up with the whole thing by then.

One piece has huge fan base though. We can't speak on behalf of any section of fan base. I just don't like that community.

Again, Arabasta arc was decades back. I don't think the repetitive fight structure bothers any one that much.

Don't worry. Many saying the raid will end in next 4-5 chapters. We will get back to the main story by next month. Hopefully, it will excite you :)

16. Rehio

High Score:
    Continues to the be the best piece of fiction ever created.

17. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

While I agree the Wano arc has gone on too long. To say its not part of the main story is a bit of a mischaracterization, I feel. We are getting a lot of lore behind Luffy's Devil Fruit and also certain historical figures. Not to mention Kaido's own role in the grand scheme of things. He has been a very compelling villain, whose motives now seem to be a lot more deep than it seemed.
    Even his suicidal tendencies and his work with SMILE fruits and obsession with Zoan fruits users are more than just random quirks.

18. Tsar

Tsar Sixth Year DLP Supporter

I keep up with one piece sporadically so the new reveal doesn't do much for me. I just wish the paneling wasn't so damn busy. It's honestly the only thingbthat brings down my enjoyment of the series.

19. Darkskeleton

Darkskeleton Squib

Did Oda watch a cartoon recently ?

20. Rehio

High Score:
    Oda in 2012.

[​IMG]