1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Life and Honor by NoOneo_o - ASOIAF

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones / ASoIaF' started by Stenstyren, May 7, 2019.

1. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I put this in the ASOIAF stories thread, might as well post here as well.

In short, in one of the fan theories for Azor Ahai, Jaime not only losing a hand but having that hand be replaced with a golden one is a central theme.

2. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Letting this ruin your enjoyment of a great story is a worse offense than this being in the story in the first place. Frankly, the author makes it work and you’d probably see that if you weren’t so hung up about it.
    My 2 cents.

Selmy’s PoV here is exquisite IMO. Can’t honestly think of any similar interlude-type short better executed than that character wise. This story is my favorite AsoIaF, no contest.

5/5

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    LOL? So getting annoyed at some terrible tropes is worse than the tropes?
    I respectfully disagree. The story works because it has other factors to support it, not because these particular issues are adding value to it.
    Go fuck yourself? You can choose to ignore problems if you can, power to you. Why the hell are you in a review thread if you don't want to read criticism of it?

All in all I don't know what you're snorting but that shit's illegal.

4. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

no update, just a review:

Re-reading this fic made me realize how rare this level of characterization is in any fandom. Jaime is perfect, his character development is amazing, and his bromance with Mance and Quhor is top-notch. The tension between Tyrion and Jaime works well too. I love the moral questions Jaime has to struggle with, the tension of duty, honor, morality, compassion, etc.

His realization that he won't ever have Cersei is a nice piece of development too. Will he break his vows with a Wildling woman now that he doesn't feel beholden to Cersei? How would that affect his relationship with his brothers?

Opens up a lot of questions. His relationship with Benjen and the other Starks is a another lingering plot thread, along with Mance suspecting Jon is Rhaegar's son.

Excited to see this fic progress closer to the canon timeline.

5. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Fic updated. Great chapter. Such well done character moments. Tyrion is pitch-perfect, Barristan and Jaime talking is amazing, and Mance and Dalla have great chemistry.

6. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Yeah, this fic is just moving from strength to strength. My earlier concerns about how the author would handle the larger political situation in Westeros have been laid to rest and I'm raising my rating to 5/5.

7. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I've already posted most of my thoughts, so I won't repeat them here.

Unlike many, I find the Mance parts boring and oftentimes skip them.

4/5. Could have been better with some more self-awareness.

8. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

I used to find Mance sections boring bc Beyond the Wall is not not my favorite setting. But I've grown to like the Wilding politics, Mance's thoughts/theorizing, and now it looks like the Others plot will be moving forward a bit. So I'm excited about it going forward.

9. sildet

sildet Sixth Year

That last sentence though! I think I'm geeking out a bit about this fic. I also used to labor through the Mance sections, but they have become more and more enthralling.

10. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

New chapter just popped out. Haven’t had a chance to read it yet but I’m sure it’ll be good.

11. Jarizok

It’s good. I came straight here, but now that I’m typing words about it I realise nothing much actually happened. It happened with feels though. It’s good.

12. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Haven’t read it but a new chapter just got posted.

13. Barzûl

Barzûl Seventh Year DLP Supporter

New chapter posted in early April. I had to read the previous chapter to regain my bearings on the plot.

Mance doing Mancy things. He's getting away with a lot imo.

Still a great story.

14. Dagro

Dagro DA Member

Overall I really enjoy this story, but the (various) bromance is going way over the top from time to time. Last post mentioned 'Mancy things' and I think that is just a very good way to describe some issues with the plot.

I am not gonna lie, last chapter did really well to give me a gut punch, still feeling it.:)

15. Jarizok

Introducing a new character to give us some perspective on how things have changed at the wall since the start of the fic really works IMO.

Having that character then connect with Leo makes the mic drop that much more impactful. It’s just great writing.

I was a bit confused about how much time we’d actually skipped as I read, so I’m not sure how I feel about doing that all subtle-like and dripfeeding us the events we missed out on, but still really enjoyed the chapter.

5/5 still going strong.

16. Barzûl

Barzûl Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Just read through the last few chapters (20-ish and forward). Mance doing Mance-things has definitely decreased which has done wonders for the story imo.

The timeskip is well done but I'm not completely sure what's going on.

Huge spoilers for chapter 25
    RIP. Leo truly was best squire.

17. Jack-O

Jack-O Second Year

Updated again.

Link to the latest chapter here.

Will edit in my impressions of the chapter once I've read it.

Edit:
    Solid chapter all around. This remains one of the best Jaime fics in the fandom by far.

Lots of development going on in this chapter, especially with the reveal at the end. All in all it was a very satisfying read.

Donnel seems convinced that Tywin has been backing the anti-Jaime faction at the Wall to drive his son back to Casterly Rock.

I also wonder if Lynesse's sudden affection for Jaime is yet another one of Tywin's schemes.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  18. Jarizok

Haven’t really been keeping up with much fanfiction lately, but this chapter is exactly what keeps me coming back.

Donnell is such an interesting character. You hate him, you pity him, you admire him, but you never really get to liking him. I love that I go through this entire range of emotions in just a single chapter while also in suspense of a mini-whodunnit, and that doesn’t even touch on the Jaime parts of the chapter.

Not the funnest read, that, but I can appreciate the writing, and Lynesse becoming a character I care about in a single short conversation is just friggin awesome.

Great chapter, great story, more plz.

19. Dagro

Dagro DA Member

Just a heads up, this is still updating.

Maybe I can get past Leo's death now! I would have been a little annoyed by the story if I had read it in one go. But at times with the long gaps between reading, I felt myself grieving a little with Jamie.

Not sure how I feel about the latest Tywin interactions, it felt a bit rushed, but probably a good conclusion. No ninja!donnel either. :(

20. Jarizok

I read the two chapters before this last one a couple of weeks ago and they weren’t quite up to the level of the rest of the story IMO, but this latest chapter was a great one. Really caps of this whole arc. Curious where this is all going to go after the time skip!