1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Magical Items?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Basil!, Jun 10, 2022.

1. Basil!

Basil! Squib

Yes hi. This is my second idea thread and hopefully my last. Unfortunately, “getting creative” isn’t an option. It never comes when you need it! Anyway, magical items, like the stuff Fred and George sell. If you have ideas, put them down! Unless you don’t want to. I’m not making these too frequently, am I? I swear this will be the last. If I need more I’ll wait a month.

Try to keep it SFW, haha…

I will never post without contribution! So here’s 2 of mine.

Linknotes- A pair of papers. When you write on one, it will send the writing to the other (in a similar fashion to Tom Riddle’s Diary). Erased with a spell.

Lifeleaf- I think something like this was done with Sirius if I remember correctly… It’s a maple leaf that dies with the person you link it to. So if you link it to a person (Ritual?) who is bleeding out somewhere, it’ll start drying up and eventually wither. Like the MORTAL PERIL of the Weasley’s clock, it won’t tell you the details.

2. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I would think you could accomplish linknotes with a protean charm, so you're in luck if you wanted a simple way of putting that into a story. I've always wanted to see characters have a dowsing rod, which is a more practical form of divination used for finding things, and the more you know about the thing you're trying to find, the more it can help you in finding it.

3. Basil!

Basil! Squib

Ooh, that’s interesting. And yes- the hardest thing about making these is that there’s a spell for anything, why should you have to buy an item for it?

Guess I have to add one now.

(I don’t know the name yet)- Blue ink-like liquid. Put it on someone and it will repeatedly appear on their hands from no visible source. The hard part is getting it on someone, but it’s funny to watch them try to find where it’s coming from. Especially if they aren’t holding anything. Got the idea from this very thing happening to my brother.

4. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

It wasn't Sirius, it was in the movie version of HBP with Lily and the fish she gave Slughorn.

Anyway, I had a similar idea in a fic I'm currently writing, though not exactly the same. It's based on something that enlightenment-era physicist Christopher Irvine proposed called a Blood Lamp or The Lamp of Life. It's a little crystal vial filled with the blood of a certain person. As long as that person is alive and in good health, the vial provides clear light. If the person is in bad health, the light is dim and cloudy, and if a person dies, it doesn't provide light at all. I think it's slightly more poetic than a random leaf.

5. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

That part is actually really simple if you remember that the average wizard sucks at magic. The reason Fred and George were able to sell so many shielded hats is because most adults cant actually manage a proper one.
    And even many reasonably competent wizards will have some areas they're not that good in, or which they just didn't focus on. Especially NEWT levle stuff, as not everyone takes every NEWT level class.

I imagine there are a lot of magical items just to let people get more conveniece at home with spells they cant use themsleves, some more obvious ones would be things like
    • A jug charmed with Aguamenti to always conjure water to refill itself. More expensive alternatives could exist for other liquids, like sauces, milk and wine. And a much more expensive version would use a refilling charm to give you a never ending supply of whatever you're filling it with
    • A breadbox that uses a Gemino charm to create a single duplicate of everything put inside. An alternative model would use engorgio.
    • A handheld fan that uses a hot air producing charm when waved, which can be used to just warm up the room, but also reheat food or dry clothes
    • A small brush that uses Scourgify on whatever you want to clean, but in a pretty small area. mainly meant for personal hygiene, like removing sweat, or cleaning your teeth and fingernails.
    otherwise there woudl simply be a lot of muggle items, that have charmes applied to them to just do what they normally do, but better, such as
    • Scissors that have a severing charm applied to them to ensure a very clean cut whenever they're used.
    • Cutains that charmed with the Quietening Charm, so that when they're closed no noise is heard from the outside.
    • seats and pillows that have a Cushioning Charm to make them more comfortable.
    • a raincoat that includes an Impervius charm to protect you from rain and snow, may also make you bulletproof, but nobody cares about that.
    • windows, vases, dishes and other fragile objects being charmed unbreakable.

6. Basil!

Basil! Squib

suppose so. I used a leaf because it sort of symbolizes life, I guess…?

Aw, you have so many ideas and I’m struggling to present one…

Alarmbulb (name pending)
    A lightbulb that begins to emit black light the more dangerous it is to be in the area. I’m sorry if I worded that weird… it basically emits darkness if you are in a room on fire, for example, but if everything is normal, it functions as a normal light. I imagine this, if used, wouldn’t be named and would rather just be described as a cosmetic effect to enhance the feeling of danger. It’s sort of impractical as it makes the room dark if you don’t have more lights. I assume it would be in an eccentric old wizard’s house.

Edit: got another. A magnifying glass that translates text that’s seen through it. Can’t translate unknown languages, and more expensive models can translate a wider range of languages with better translations.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  7. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I do like the lifeleaf idea, and, I'd wager that a lot of witches and wizards might have something like that stored in the ministry, with an alert sounded every time someone dies. Also, if sympathetic magic is a thing in HP, getting your hands on an item like that might allow a competent practicioner to hurt the linked person through the object.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022