1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Incantations as verbs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bishop Bone, Jun 28, 2022.

?

Can incantations be used as a verb?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Other

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Bishop Bone

Bishop Bone Muggle

High Score:
    Is there a reason for using them this way? I've been seeing it used more lately and it's quite confusing. As far as I'm aware every spell has a common name as well that people use to refer to it. It's mostly the killing curse. Harry Avada Kedavra'd Voldemort. It's starting to become a pet peeve of mine.

2. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Using incantations to refer to spells is fine, hapens often enough in the books, but actually using it as a verb itself isn't.

Like you can say 'I used the Avada Kedavra curse on him' or "I used the killing curse on him", but not "I Avada Kedavra'd him".

Though that doesen't mean no character can use it like that, people using words differently than they're supposed to is a thing after all, and lanuage does evolve. But I'd personally still find it a little annoying.

3. zugrian

zugrian Fourth Year

'Lockhart Obliviated himself' works fine as far as I'm concerned. It's not something that bugs me nearly as much as other stuff I run into regularly.

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think this one's canon, no? Ministry has obliviators, non the memory charm squad.

5. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Obliviators as term for members of the Accidental Magic Reversal Squad is canon, but the name of the spell is never used as a verb.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, and look what's quoted in my post. Just the instance of the memory charm. And I wrote "this one". This specific one.

7. haphnepls

haphnepls Seventh Year

I don't think obliviated is ever used, though it does roll better off the tongue than other more popular ones such as imperiused or cruciod. I took a quick look and it's always his memory charm backfired or her memories were modified etc.

So I think you'd be better off avoiding them altogether in writing for the sake of consistency alone. Even Obliviator as a noun is more of a exception, really. The number of incantations used in ff is way over the top sometimes when you look how rarely they're used in the books. Well, rarely as opposed to ff, anyway.

So as for the reason, it's either lazy writing, or people thinking it sounds cool, no idea, all I know is that I as well am not a fan.

8. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    As always, I was trying to think of real world similarities of this, to see what popped to mind. After all, you don't say "he was glocked to death".
    Although "machine-gunned" is a term I'm sure I've heard

Maybe not always an exact match, but websites, especially now that the web is much more centralized. You don't always look something up, you 'google it' (or 'bing it', maybe?). You can tweet something out. I've been asked "Are you okay if I facebook this pic?". So I can certainly see some spell names being used this way, obliviated sounds quite a lot smoother than memory charmed, for instance. But crucioed sounds (and looks) a bit of a mess.

Another thing to consider is genericide - where the brand name becomes the thing name. Jacuzzi. Hoover. Photoshop. So Mister Curse invented the Cruciatus Curse, slapped his name on it, and now all powerful dark magic is known as a curse because he was an absolute shit.

9. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

That one isn't used either.
    This is how Lochkart's memory charm is talked about in the books

10. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

From DH, chapter 10, the trio discussing what Regulus might have done with the locket:

So yes, using the incantation Obliviate as a verb is canon.

11. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I don't see why they wouldn't slip into colloquial language, though I'd say that it would be taboo to explicitly use dangerous incantations as slang, e.g AK'd instead of Avada Kedavra'd.

'You should have seen it Draco, he Avada Kedavra'd him so bad that he... Draco, Draco!'