1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite minor character in HP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Irene, Aug 7, 2022.

1. Irene

Irene Seventh Year DLP Supporter Retired Staff DLP Gold Supporter

Who's your favourite minor/less known character in the books/movies, and why?

No poll as there are way too many minor characters to list.

Was talking to himora today and he mentioned aberforth dumbledore.

For me personally, I actually liked Percy Weasley's whole character arc including the redemption. He was also never a truly bad person even during his ministry position. He just didn't choose his family over his job.

Answers like Luna and Neville are boring and do not count :p almost everyone likes them!

2. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Luna, Aberforth, Arthur, Moody... all good choices. I guess Neville is too 'main' to be a 'minor' depending on our definitions? Hmm. This is a hard question if we go by canon and not fanon examples (Daphne barely exists in canon, for example, not that I'd pick her regardless).

Where's the line?

It's hard to claim that Arthur Weasley, for example, is a main character. And yet as a minor character he still had significantly more of a role in the books than, say, Stan Shunpike or Corban Yaxley.

4. Aisosa

Aisosa Second Year

The absolute chad that is Cormac McLaggen

5. FitzDizzyspells

FitzDizzyspells Seventh Year DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I remember being really disappointed when Sir Cadogan wasn't in the PoA movie. A character so brave that he was the only portrait to volunteer to guard Gryffindor Tower after the Fat Lady's canvas was slashed, and so stupid that he let in an adult man in prison clothes who read off every password written down on a piece of paper.

6. That Guy

That Guy Squib

Stan Shunpike, The Man

7. Ched

You’ve convinced me. He is the best minor character.

8. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I think probably Slughorn.

A type of character not often seen in fiction.

Also I really like how during the final battle of Hogwarts, he as head of Slytherin evacuated his house safely, gathered the town folk of Hogsmead, and returned to the castle at the head of a mob and then went toe to toe to Tom Mother Fucking Riddle. One of only three people to stand toe to toe with him in the final fight. The result of one of his greatest regrets and the man he had been in literal hiding from for a year.

He is not a typically good man, he is just a guy, who likes a nice life. Treated people fairly in general while having favourites. A good teacher, a brilliant wizard and when it mattered, he showed up.

9. yargle

yargle Professor

Xenophilius Lovegood is the second greatest wizard in the series. Now, I want to be very clear. When I say second greatest wizard I don't mean second best at magic. I mean second greatest at being a wizard. If a lifetime of consuming fantasy media has taught me anything about wizards, it's that they meet the followng criteria:
    • can do magic
    • lives in a tower or tower-like building
    • weird name
    • strange fashion-sense
    • has knowledge that others don't or won't believe to be true
    • keeps secrets
    • epic facial hair
    Let's see how well he meets the criteria:
    • can do magic?: Does magic.
    • lives in a tower or tower-like building?: Lives in a building that looks like a rook (a tower)
    • weird name?: Xenophilius Lovegood literally means "Strange-like fucks well." That is 100% weird name compared to Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore's 66⅔% (3 of his 5 names are weird, I'm not counting Percival as weird because of Percy Weasley plus an extra category of having a five-part name anyways) weird name.
    • strange fashion-sense?: Dude wore a tasselled white cap and neon-bright egg-yolk yellow robes to a wedding.
    • has knowledge that others don't or won't believe to be true?: See entirety of The Quibbler plus the Deathly Hallows
    • keeps secrets?: It's not public that he believes in the Deathly Hallows. He wears the symbols to let only other believers know.
    • epic facial hair?: None.
    That's 6 out of 7 categories. The only person in the series who is better at being a wizard is Albus Dumbledore who meets the same categories but with a glorious beard. If Xenophilius had a great beard or mustache, the strength of his weird name would claim the number one ranking.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  10. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Susan Bones. For ... reasons.

11. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Barty Crouch Jr.

Spent a decade under the Imperius - something that is supposed to turn people insane - and right after, managed to subdue the paranoid Mad-Eye Moody in his own home, bamboozle Dumbledore and everyone else for a year with a fake identity, teach Harry to resist the Imperius, bully Snape, and turn Malfoy into a ferret. What a boss.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  12. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

I enjoy the way his Pottermore article expanded on his character.

He died fighting a dragon, after his horse was eaten, his sword was melted and his wand broken dude just grabbed a fat pony and rode it into the open mouth of the dragon only with half a wand in hand which blew the dragon's gases up when it pierced its tongue.

He is basically the platonic ideal of what a Gryffindor should be.

I also find it funny that wizards thought it necessary to remove a wizard from Arthurian Legend but saw no need to remove Merlin or Morgana.

13. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I quite liked how Ernie Macmillan was written. He's about as pompous as Malfoy, without any of the mean spiritedness. It's pretty funny.

14. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I don't know how minor this is, but I liked the muggle prime minister in the beginning of HBP. It was the last time we really saw a regular person's perspective on the whole universe and an interesting point to raise about the function of the Statute. He was also kind of funny.

15. ashland

ashland Second Year

High Score:
    I think Crouch Sr. is fascinating. He appeared in one book and had so few lines, but so much of the bad and the ugly after CoS can be traced back to him.

He's against the Dark Arts, but also had no problem giving Aurors leave to use Unforgivable Curses on Death Eaters. He made deals with certain Death Eaters, but not his own son. He hated his son, but loved his wife enough to prevent him from dying in Azkaban. A shame much of fan fiction likes to place all the blame on Dumbledore.

Honorable mentions: McLaggen, Slughorn, and Fleur

16. Ched

Which confirmed Death Eaters (from his own POV) did Crouch Sr. deal with? I didn’t think any.

17. yargle

yargle Professor

Karkaroff comes to mind. From Dumbledore's pensieve.

18. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

Think Karkaroff may have been the only one, though. There's no references I remember to other Death Eaters selling out their fellows to beat the rap. Igor got off by ratting out Rookwood, Snape got pardoned for his spy work for Dumbledore and others just got acquitted by pleading Imperius. In any case, even if Crouch hadn't wanted to throw the book at his son, Crouch Jr.'s tack of denying everything wasn't giving him much to work with.

19. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Based on what Voldemort says in the Graveyard, I'd agree with this.

Only Karkaroff and Snape didn't return to him, and both are the ones that betrayed him(though the latter pretends otherwise). If any other death eaters made deals, they probably wouldn't show up.

20. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Trelawney. I find her funny, and it's doubly amusing that she never even knew about or even the results of her only true prophecies.