1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Blood Crest by Cauchy

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by Alindrome, Jul 8, 2015.

1. MaxQuill

MaxQuill Squib

High Score:
    Story has been updated with Chapter 63.

Good as always, though this chapter was more set-up than payoff. I will, however, say that the author continues to excel at the minor details and world building. I never would've thought about the footwear that the characters are wearing, for example, but it's an interesting insight into their personalities, and the culture of the setting. The dialogue and flow was very smooth this chapter, nothing aside from a few minor errors in spelling stopped me.

2. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    Definitely the quality of the writing has just been getting better chapter after chapter. My only concern is that the author tends to introduce seemingly important plot elements, only to forget about them or treat them as an afterthought later in the story. I suppose that's just one of the problems of writing on this sort of timescale - things just get lost, or you get bored of certain story elements, but can't edit them out.

3. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Blood Crest has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 64
    Words: 563,692
    Updated: 2021-09-06 19:34:55 UTC
    Published: 2014-08-19 00:34:26 UTC
    Previously updated: about 2 months ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

4. moribund_helix

moribund_helix Third Year

Ok, I love this story and this last chapter was great. Honestly love every interaction between Voldemort and Harry, and their conversation was especially illuminating.

I frankly believe that this story really needs editing. A lot of it. I feel like a lot of parts could be removed, make it a lot more fast paced and keep the elements that make this story shine: divination and necromancy magic as well as all the interactions and character building parts. The novel magic and the characters are truly the strongest point in this story, if not the best surely surpassing by far most fanfiction, but without cutting a lot of the story out it does feel that there are random elements that go nowhere or that the story itself is stagnating.

Best divination and Voldemort in any story (+unflappable Harry)? What do you guys think?

5. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I don't know about the best Voldemort, but there isn't particularly stiff competition when it comes to divination. I'll probably never reread Blood Crest, but I'd imagine that the story as a whole would be a slog for a new reader to get through, so yes, I agree with you.

6. Dubious Destiny

Dubious Destiny Seventh Year

I've just reread the story and I've got a new found appreciation for the characters. Petri, Voldemort, Dumbledore and the Malfoys are a fine example of the detail given to characters.

This has also brought my attention to a flaw which had been noted earlier and is missing from my earlier review: Harry can at best be described a rational agent. He's got little character and makes some baffling leaps of logic, while other obvious conclusions are not arrived at.

It's a great story, but not for those who want a MC with character.

7. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

I was thinking about this the other day when I saw the astronomical word count. Would I have made it to the end if I started yesterday? I don’t know. But as someone who has followed from the beginning, I love the long chapters. No individual one has felt like a slog and I usually get to the end wanting more. Thankfully the updates are frequent.

8. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 65
    Words: 575,268
    Updated: 2021-10-26 05:37:30 UTC
    Previously updated: about 2 months ago

9. moribund_helix

moribund_helix Third Year

A great chapter. Blood Crest is really set up after set up and I'm anxiously waiting for the payoff.

10. Dubious Destiny

Dubious Destiny Seventh Year

This chapter's mostly setup. The highlight is finding out about Petri, but most of these were hinted at or said earlier and could be guessed.

Some of these hints were dropped when Harry was young, so getting Harry to forget these in face of the larger concerns he had at the time is a very nice touch.

The most amusing part of this update is
    an inferius making prophecy

Characters are as brilliant as always. Appreciated that scene where
    Terry and his father met Silviu

11. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 66
    Words: 595,916
    Updated: 2022-04-15 03:32:34 UTC
    Previously updated: 6 months ago

12. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 67
    Words: 613,367
    Updated: 2022-09-06 15:47:29 UTC
    Previously updated: 5 months ago

13. invinoveri

invinoveri Third Year

I want to like this fic but I don’t. There’s something schizophrenic about it. I don’t understand the choices being made or Harry’s motivation.

14. Dagro

Dagro DA Member

Been ages since i started reading, but after the horcrux, i think one part is that he is very twisted in a sense. His soul was broken apart just like Voldemort, just not to the same degree. That is after the initial creation of the horcrux inside of him. I think there were hints dropped in this direction when Harry was influenced by Voldemort directly.

Honestly I can understand if people have trouble reading the story, but there are parts that I enjoy greatly.