1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Writing Marathon 2023!

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lindsey, Jan 3, 2023.

1. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Twas the time before writing, when all thro' the net,
    Not a friend was conversing, not even to fret;
    The keyboard sat on the desk with ease,
    In hopes that the typing will soon be a breeze;
    The songs were playing in the background with care,
    While visions of scenes were written with flare,
    We heard the readers exclaim, ere they drove out of sight-
    Happy Writing Marathon to all, and to all a good night.

----------------------------------------

Quick Statistics
    Since 2020, DLP has written a total of 7,825,628 words.

Last year, DLP wrote 2,049,869, the majority written by 5 people (@Silirt, @TheWiseTomato, @Dark Syaoran, @Anarchy, and @Striker).

The most prolific writer of 2020 was by @Silirt with 973,500. He is also the most prolific writer since 2020 with a total word count of 2,443,500.

The most written in a single month was by @Roarian in June 2020 with 118,700 words. In 2022, the most written in a month was by @Silirt in August with 93,500 words.

2. Irene

Irene Seventh Year DLP Supporter Retired Staff DLP Gold Supporter

I will break you.

3. Threadmarks: Writing Goals
    Lindsey

2023 Writing Goals!!!
    Let us look back at our previous writing goals (if you are rejoining us this year) and see what you have accomplished! Or, for those who fell off the bandwagon (like myself), what could we do differently this year to help us towards success.

After you have gone over your old writing goals, come up with goals for 2023. For your own sanity, I suggest having a few goals, some easier than others. You want to be able to look back over the months and see the progress you've made and the goals you've hit. This will help motivate you rather than stress you out.

Some good goals are:
    - What is the bare minimum word count you wish to hit?
    - How many days in a row do you want to write without stopping?
    - A story you wish to finish, or certain chapters?
    - Want to enter a DLP competition.
    - etc, etc.

For example, my goals for 2022 were the following:
    - Get back into writing. 1000 words a week.
    - Publish something. I have a ton of half done oneshots and stories. This could be for a DLP competition or outside of it. Just publish something.
    - Work on my main unpublished fic: The Subtle Darkness.
    - Get on better meds or find a way to be both creative and productive. Plz. Just Plz.

Lawlz. I utterly failed. Had a little more important things, such as my wedding. Also, writing has become insanely challenging for me, so that hasn't helped. Let's try this again!

New Goals
    - Write more, write anything.
    - Try to journal and see if that helps.
    - Get off my flipping phone.
    - Go on walks, meditate, and just let myself think.
    - Be more active with this community and to remind others to update and write.

4. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I had forgotten about making goals last year.

2022 Goals:

1- I want to maintain my weekly update rate.
    2- I want to write at least 7000 words per week.
    3- I want to grow my trio of quests into something that people across the fandoms can point to and go, "That was some real fire shit man.".
    4- I want to avoid the assessment season mood that sees my writing rate plummet.
    5- I'm going to finish my children's story and submit it to publishers.
    6- I want to get my writing to the stage that I can support myself with it.

2022 Outcomes:
    1- I did this! I kept writing each week, not letting the habit slip away or be pushed back.
    2- Just scraped this in. My average for the year was 7050 words per week, though I did take October off entirely with no words written.
    3- I still haven't gotten around to starting my third quest, but I've seen my Captain Westeros quest rec'd in the wild a few times, which is incredibly validating.
    4- Ehh. I'm still working my way through the traffic jam commission backlog from midyear, but I did maintain my writing.
    5- Lol. No.
    6- I made over $7500 from my writing! That is just...wild.

2023 Goals:
    1- Maintain. Weekly writing, and a goal of 30 000 words per month.
    2- Catch up and stay caught up on my commission schedule. Avoid delays and late delivery.
    3- Begin a planned original story for inclusion in my story rotation.
    4- Find time (somehow) to work on existing original ideas for traditional publication.
    5- Grow my writing income. Hit $1500 a month.

Get hyped, lets all hit our goals.

5. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Okay, give us an update in 2024.
    My 2022 goals were probably not very meaningful or helpful for my development. I did, however, manage to succeed at the unexpected sidequest of not being banned. I wrote an ending to my HP series just recently, before that I wrote a Pokemon fic, a Detective Conan fic, and my first ever crossover between DC and Marvel, and an original called Luck of the Devil for NaNo. This year, I want to finish my Naruto fic, a sweeping epic already that may benefit from having an end in sight, as much as I like writing it, and my current HP fic, which I want to be on the shorter side, but I don't know what else I want to write other than an original fic for November as always. I don't have a long list of media for which I want to write and usually when I've written for something, I'm content with it; like I have no aspirations to write a sequel to any standalone works that I've written. I think what will probably help the most this year is to cross off what I feel like I've already accomplished with my works and proceed in a different direction, to address new themes and come up with new methods of communicating them.

6. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

goals:
    make 1 complete cohesive story. Even if its not the whole story, just make a minimum viable product.
    And only then start to edit it.
    and maybe post it after the editing.
    aiming for 5k words a month. If i can beat that, amazing, fantastic. But thats my minimum.
    not very high goals, but I'm a very short dog.

7. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What do people count as writing? Actual story words or do you include notes and things like plot outlines?

8. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I count the story proper. Notes and outlines I don't.

9. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I count the actual story, and only the first time I write it. If I revise it, I don't count extra words because I probably deleted as many as I wrote.

10. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Will the PBP narrative sections count for me, boss? Consider this might affect how long your character survives, as you answer.

11. Lindsey

I'm fine with people counting outlines as part of word count as long as it's actual progress on your story/fic. Not just world building documents.

And @Blorcyn, go ahead. It is still writing.

12. Lindsey

The end of the first quarter is approaching, and I see that most people haven't signed up or updated their word counts. Here is a reminder to you. We are a Harry Potter writing site y'all, so write!

(This is my first time in about two years I've managed to write 5 days in a row, huzzah)

@Silirt, @Anarchy, @Vira, @VereorNox, @Halt, @Roarian, @TheWiseTomato, @Omega, @Blorcyn, @BTT, @Zeelthor, @Eilyfe, @manatee-vs-walrus, @Frickles, @Lungs, @Niez, @Striker, @ML, @Jeram, @Paradise, @Paladin, @Selethe, @Ched, @Majube, @CrackedMind, @Khaine, @Nexis, @H_A_Greene, @FitzDizzyspells, @TMD, @Sataniel, @Meerkats, @Tsar, @TA, @sonder, @Utsane, @Golden Shadow, @Disvelop @Dark Syaoran