1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Alternative immortality

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Erotic Adventures of S, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I'm pretty sure that we had this exact disagreement a few years ago, but anyway. Dumbledore's guesses aren't always 100% accurate in canon. Even if they were, whether Harry actually met Dumbledore at Kings Cross is up to the reader's interpretation. That's pretty explicitly stated in the text. Therefore there is no 100% accurate canonical explanation for what happened that night. We have Dumbledore's theory that may or may not be true, that he may or may not have made. That gives us some wiggle room to discuss this and disagree, without either of us being right or wrong. It's not fanon, we just don't know.

2. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

That just seems like willfully ignoring the canon explanation, because you prefer a fan theory.

Like even if you pretend that 'Dumbledore is unreliable' even though that clearly isn't his position here, rather just being there to explan what happened.

There is nothing supporting the soul piece inside Harry only giving him an extra life and that he would have died from a second killing curse.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  3. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    It was my interpretation of the text when I read it, and it's not contradicted by the text, so it's a valid interpretation. You don't have to agree with it. Imo, making Harry immortal cheapens the deaths of his friends. He could have waged a one man war on the entirety of the death eaters and nothing could have killed him. Harry deciding to sacrifice himself in the forest in order to give his friends a chance at killing Voldemort was meaningful, and while of course Rowling wouldn't let him die, him having an extra soul that was killed in his place in that one specific set of circumstances makes sense. If he had decided to die instead, his sacrifice would have made Voldemort vulnerable, and the prophecy could still come true.

4. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I agree with Drachna here.

I never saw Harry as immortal. I took the prophecy to mean that Harry wouldn't be able to live a fulfilling life if Voldemort was still around, nor would Voldemort ever feel like he won unless he took down Harry. Therefore, neither could truly 'live' while the other survived. Dumbledore even mentions this in the sixth book with the prophecy.

Lily's protection only kept him alive from *Voldemort*. Someone else could have AK'ed him in a hallway and he'd still be dead as a doorknob. Don't you think Dumbledore would have gotten someone else to 'kill' Harry to remove the Horcrux if Harry had been immortal? It would have been a far safer plan.

It would make a great dark fic though, where a 5th-7th year Harry finds out he is immortal and starts doing more risky 'heroic' actions and gets a bit warped.

5. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

There's almost exactly the same plotline in the Netflix anime adaptation of Altered Carbon, except it's set in a techno-future.

6. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Kinda similar to Flemeth and Morrigan from Dragon Age too.

7. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    They made an animated version of Altered Carbon? The live action show was a bit disappointing, so I might check it out.

8. makeshiftcraftsman

makeshiftcraftsman First Year

I didn't know there was an anime either. The first season of the live action was OK but the second was disappointing. Might have to give the anime version a chance.

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As regards horcruxes, I think they make you ageless as well as unkillable (in the sense that your soul will not pass on, your body can still be destroyed). In HBP we get various descriptions of Voldemort over time and it seems clear that as time goes by, instead of aging his inhuman agelessness becomes increasingly apparent. But it's not eternal youth. Rather, it is a transformation into an inhuman creature to which age simply does not apply. At first his features become fixed and waxy, then increasingly snake like, until we end up with the Voldemort we know from GoF, who does not look human anymore.

10. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Was his snake like appearance unique to him and his ancestory/parcelmouth? Or would everyone end up similar? Or their own unique transformations.

11. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I always assumed his snake-like appearance was from being fed snake-juice as a homunculus or whatever he was, before/during GoF. Also, has no one mentioned the Deathly Hallows themselves? The Master of Death is a overused trope for a reason.

12. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I don't necessarily think that that was horcrux related. I love the idea that horcruxes essentially trap your soul in your body, so that no matter what happens to it you can't die. There has to be some sort of serious drawback or every two bit psychopathic wizard would have one. I think that it's likely Voldemort's snakelike features were caused by something else, be it the effect of serious dark magic on the body (as seen in say Star Wars), an unintended side effect of some potion or ritual, or an intentional affectation to make him look scarier, or distinct from Tom Riddle.

Would Nagini die of old age though? And if she did, would the horcrux die with her, or be attatched to her corpse?