1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Wheel Unbroken by TheAnimaniacDude - Game of Thrones / ASOIAF

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones / ASoIaF' started by Otters, Aug 21, 2019.

1. TheAnimaniacDude

TheAnimaniacDude Second Year

One of the critiques I've seen of my story is that I'm too enamored with the 'mystery' of my plot and don't spend enough time actually explaining what is happening. If I ended the loops here in King's Landing, there would definitely be an uproar from people that were shouting 'what was up with the Cave Dwellers and K'Dath? Why is the Bloodstone so important? Why is R'hllor looping Jon? You just ended it on a standard high note and didn't answer anything and now I'm mad'. I have signed many checks with my mouth, and I need to make sure my ass can cash them.

2. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

You’ll always have people who want you to explain everything (and I’m not saying I don’t want to know everything there is to know about the cave dwellers, or why this is happening to Jon, etc lol) but don’t feel like you have to solve every mystery unless you feel like the story requires it.

Damon Lindelof, who created Lost amongst other shows, got a lot of flack for setting up a mystery box and then not solving it. A lot of people (and probably rightfully so) felt like they were promised answers to things that just never got addressed by the end.

His follow up show, The Leftovers, was kind of created with the central thesis of “we’re not going to tell them everything, but we’re definitely going to be up front and not promise to”. The 2nd season’s theme song is even called “let the mystery be” lol. It’s an amazing show, definitely recommend it if you haven’t seen it (first season is good, 2nd and 3rd season rank up there in terms of best seasons of tv ever). His focus was on whether the ending satisfied, not so much whether the ending answered everything.

Bit longwinded, but what im trying to say is that if you’re happy with how your story ends and you feel like it answers what it needs to, than that’s all that matters. This is one of the best fics out there, and while sticking the landing can be hard (just ask DB and DW) I think whatever ending you feel is the right one will be.

3. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    You'd think that the ASOIAF fandom would be used to not getting any answers at this point lol.

4. Shizenjin

Shizenjin Squib DLP Bronze Supporter

I agree with the sentiment that you shouldn't feel forced to address every mystery, but the overarching one for sure needs some answers. K'Dath, yes. Loops, yes. Cave Dwellers? Not really. The vehicle driving the story forward is the overarching mystery of what the fuck is even going on, not the other lesser mysteries tangentially related to the major one.

Personally I love the consequence of the mystery far more than the mystery itself. This Kings Landing arc is exactly what I want out of ASOIAF fanfic, alternate possibilities based on the numerous houses that could have taken the limelight if something went slightly different. Hightowers is a win in my book.

5. TheAnimaniacDude

New year, new updoot. Bobby B is PISSED, and so am I that the word count nearly doubled what I was going for. Chapter is too THICCC.

6. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I'm probably wrong, but I predict that this life with actually end with Jon "winning" the Game of the Thrones only to be reminded that it's not the point and something magical will kill him. Still, the Westeros would be a marginally better place for these few short years before the magical apocalypse would destroy them. Though that is the question. What happens with the timelines where Jon is no more? Do they continue or it's a hard reset?

The visions though appear to be both future lives and distant past? The Iron Bank is probably future. Euron speaking to Theon too. The last one maybe. The the two I would say are the past because I'm not sure what Aegon would do in the far east and the other is about Princess Nymeria.

7. Shizenjin

Shizenjin Squib DLP Bronze Supporter

Haha, holy shit. You weren't kidding that it grew into a behemoth of a chapter.

I say it after every chapter, but it keeps getting better. The council scene was fantastic, and the interconnected plots and reveals of who knows what really nails the cutthroat game Jon, Varys, Littlefinger and Leyton are playing.

Jon and Leyton are evoking feelings of Cregan cleaning house after the Dance, and Ned arriving with two hundred men will certainly enhance that feeling.

I think for sure that Leyton is setting up a crisis where the Baratheons and Lannisters clash, only for a Hightower-Stark-Targaryen coalition to restore peace, probably kicking off the moment Robert dies. Unless magic fuckery ensues, that's always an option with you Animaniac, you devil you.

8. TheAnimaniacDude

New chapter posted. Enjoy.

9. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    First time in a while I've thought,
    "Oh Varys you absolute cockwomble."
    over something he's done.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
  10. s0ng2Sing

s0ng2Sing Third Year

What I've been enjoying about this most recent life is actually seeing glimpses of Robert taking on more responsibility and making his own attempt at becoming a better king and actually delegating things better. Him actually trying isn't something often seen in the fandom.

11. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Had to laugh at Jon
    being angry at what Leyton must’ve done in past lives, destroying the shade of evening out of spite- and probably fueling his own downfall now that Leyton is hobbled

Love this fic, very happy to see it updated. Jon’s progression through his lives has been really fun to see, and im going to be equally excited and incredibly bummed out whenever this life ends. You’ve made me want to read Jon/Mya stories now, and those dont really exist so curse you lol.

very interesting to find out that the Lord of Light spoke through Jon to warn Thoros. Or at least thats what im assuming happened, since he spoke High Valyrian to Thoros and has no memory of it. Also interesting to see what the Red Priests do now that they have a beat on who the Prince is.

12. TheAnimaniacDude

Yeah, Jon's not feeling too good about himself
    after realizing that he's gone and destroyed an old man's magic alzheimer's medicine out of spite. Especially since without it he hasn't clocked the idea that it wasn't Varys who destroyed his supply. He punished him for things he hasn't actually done, and seeing Leyton crumple in front of his eyes because of it has driven home what a dick move it was.
    Jon's great flaw continues to be his temper getting the best of him.

Yeah, I know, I'm a bad person. I'm covering a lot of rare pairs in this. Half of the reason I'm doing this story is to try and inspire a little bit more creativity in the fandom - both in the pairings and in the plot. Each life could be it's own fic if properly expanded, and if we're lucky, someone will try and do that.

Something certainly spoke through Jon to Thoros. Whether it was R'hllor or not... would be spoilers.

13. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Loved it. Really interested to see how Ned and his honor showing up is going to clash with highly competent master of whispers Jon. I'm dead certain it'll lead to life eight, which will be a shame but I'm excited for how you'll pull it off.

14. Ackner

Ackner First Year

I've tried this several times over the past few years and I have always found it to be hot garbage. The villain is so out of left field (in a bad way imo) and not grounded in canon at all, Jon himself is so OC and idk maybe I would like this if I approached it as an original work but as fanfiction operating off of characters I have a fairly defined view of, it's really wacky. The writing always annoyed me too, it feels like a never ending fever dream, the pacing in the chapters is always way off and the author never seems to know when to pause the action. 2/5.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  15. TheAnimaniacDude

I have returned. New chapter posted. Longest one yet, to my great annoyance. Scope creep kept fucking me over. Enjoy.

16. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Interesting chapter. More new threads, some vague answers.

17. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    Great chapter, I loved how Jon's rash decisions keep coming back to haunt him.

18. Donimo

Donimo Auror

This fic just keeps being excellent.

19. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Whew, the Raven thoroughly fucked Jon over with this one. A moment of actual triumph cut short resulting in the death Robert, Leyton, and, likely, Ned? Using wildfire to assassinate the king when Jon was the one who basically brought it back? Inspired. And things were going so generally well. You're really addicted to putting Jon through it.

Jon losing his cool around Ned was probably the best part of this chapter. Cause it's deserved. Man wants his father to be happy for him and Ned just can't be. Loved the back and forth in their scenes. I'd thought that Ned being there would lead to Jon losing it enough to end the life, but I think this is so much of a clusterfuck now that Jon's going to have to pick up the proverbial pieces before he inevitably gets caught in the crossfire.

Hats off for this life. Everything about it has been a joy. Can't wait to see what you've got planned for the rest.

20. moribund_helix

moribund_helix Third Year

Great chapter, I'd love it if it didn't result in Jon's next life but I suppose with wildfire probably everyone in the vicinity ended up dying. A shame though, I can't wait to see what Jon does in the next lives. Please, keep writing.

And yet it didn't feel like it.

I've felt this at times while reading this fic and I honestly consider it one of its bright spots. I honestly don't think I've read any ASOIAF fic that comes close to this in terms of fantasy/inspiration. And well written to top it off. Excellent.