1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DOTA 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by leenK, Dec 9, 2011.

1. leenK

leenK First Year

Does anyone have a spare beta key?

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Yeah, because you're a well respected member and you've been here a while. o_o No, but seriously. Give me a beta key. :awesome

3. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I lol'd.

/char

4. leenK

leenK First Year

Yep, I am (?)
    Seriously, anyone got one? :(

5. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    -facepalm-

6. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

They say drinking bleach is good for you, leenK - go do it.

7. leenK

leenK First Year

No, thanks. The beta key would be better for me

8. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    You get points for persistence, but lose points for not being able to understand sarcasm or take a hint.

9. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Sigh. And here I was expecting another thread where more fortunate members were bragging about getting into the beta.

[Key-whoring thread anyone? I need one... ;)]

10. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

This thread amuses me.

But yeah, I would use a beta key instead of giving it out, personally.

11. Zansa

Zansa Fourth Year

I got into the beta.
    Didn't want to disappoint you.

12. MatKinG

MatKinG Muggle

13. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I feel like permabanning you from DLP.

14. Heleor

If you get an invite you get three keys, one for you and two for friends. People are just hoping someone here has no friends.

15. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

You mean that this doesn't count as Warez talk?

16. NobelFiction

NobelFiction Seventh Year

I got a guest pass I'm willing to share if you're interested Esper.

17. disposablehead

disposablehead Seventh Year

Anyone actually in the beta? How is it compared to LoL?

18. NobelFiction

NobelFiction Seventh Year

I can really compare it to LoL cause I didn't really play it, but basically the core of DOTA2 is the same as the original with the added bonus of enhanced graphics, sound and Steam community options. Plus a few other bits like the ability to watch others play in real time. We don't have all the old heroes yet but it's getting there.

19. Zansa

Zansa Fourth Year

First, a tl;dr: LoL is a casual game for having a good time without stress, DotA is a highly competitive game with significant rewards if you can stick to with through the insane learning curve and depressing community.

I've played DotA for years now, since its release on WC3:RoC, and I've put tens of thousands of hours into it. By comparison I've only put about 100 into LoL, but I'll try to be as unbiased as possible here.

First of all, Guinsoo developed LoL after giving up on DotA and then seeing how popular IceFrog made it. His version of DotA was extremely unbalanced, to the point that picking certain heroes made it literally impossible to lose, even if you just sat at the base and AFK'd until the 70th minute. That being said, he seemed to put more stock in bug fixes and optimizations.

When IceFrog took over he worked on balancing the game towards a much more competitive feel. Over the next ten or so versions he destroyed a handful of characters entirely, recreating some and leaving others in the wayside, so that DotA could be more competitive. This distinction is important because it's a core difference between DotA and LoL - DotA is competitive, LoL is casual by comparison.

In LoL you have Flash to teleport back to base. In DotA you have to buy a single-use Teleport Scroll for 135 gold, it takes up a spot in the inventory, and you can only buy it in range of shops, but it can be used to teleport to any allied structure.

in DotA you don't have any items that affect spells. Spell-heavy heroes like Lina (Annie or Veigar in LoL, I think) have no way of increasing their spell damage or decreasing CD. They're the most dangerous characters on the map for the first 20-25 minutes, and then start to fade out. By late-game their role is to stun and take fire from semi-carries and carries.

There's no grass to hide in. You can run through paths in the forest, uphill, downhill, around trees, you can cut paths in the trees, you can escape with spells or just out run the guy, but you don't have any area on the map that makes you invisible when you run into it. The closest thing to this is the Roshan pit, which is permanently covered by fog of war until you enter it.

You can deny your own creeps when they get below 50% HP. Denying prevents your opponent from getting the gold, and gives melee heroes only half the experience, ranged heroes get a measly 1/4 experience.

When you die in DotA your enemies get gold and experience, and you lose gold corresponding to your level and kill streak.

Runes are static. That is, every two minutes starting at 0:00 a random rune spawns at one of two rune spots in the river. The runes are always either an Illusion, Haste, Double Damage, Regeneration, or Invisibility. There's no way to make these runes stronger or weaker except by giving them to a hero they're useful or bad on.

In that vein, each game is separate. There's no summoners that get stronger, or any exterior way to change the game outside of modes, meta-gaming, and hacks.

Those are the biggest differences. Going from DotA to LoL, I couldn't help but feel I was playing in the kiddy pool after swimming in an ocean. The strategy just isn't there in any sense that begins to rival how deep DotA is. I like this because it means you can have a relaxed game, and the community isn't as harsh, so failing doesn't mean receiving death threats from anxious teenagers. On the other hand, it doesn't satisfy my need for a challenge.

Also, the DotA community is infamously terrible. The learning curve is harsh, with at least fifty games necessary to begin to learn what's going on, and being a huge detriment to the team if you aren't at their level or above it, tensions run high, even when you're stomping. Another problem is that since DotA is so team-oriented, very few people believe they're actually bad, and it's usually only the people that are good enough that they'll be able to carry the game regardless.

Going from LoL to DotA, don't expect to be anything except for terrible. DotA is in a different league. It's like comparing Mario Kart to Gran Turismo.

20. Heleor

LoL is a very simplified and monetized version of the genre started by DotA. It has very little in common with DotA, except the basic game structure. Most of the details are completely different.

Heroes of Newerth is the game that can be more closely compared to DotA 2. Both were replacements of the ancient WC3 engine, both were developed with the competitive gamestyle first. It was almost a direct port to start.

The best thing about DotA that you don't really see elsewhere, is that if your teamwork is good, you will have the absolute time of your life, even if losing. If your teamwork sucks, you're not going to have much fun unless you actually solo well.

(Also, thanks a lot Nobel!)