1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Sechrima, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

[​IMG]

Anyone else seen this? I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this film (it has been released in multiple formats, but the final release is a 2+ hour film). I'm a big fan of Street Fighter, but the previous live action films were atrocious. This one, however, stays true to the source material and is really entertaining.

It's fairly low budget, and the visual effects aren't spectacular, but at the same time they're not too bad. Akuma's effects were even quite good at times. His Shun Goku Satsu was downright badass, as well it should be.

This and that new Rurouni Kenshin live action film both surpassed my expectations, but of the two I'd say Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist was the better film.

With any luck there'll be a sequel. So many great characters and stories yet to be told.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Wait a second. This is not an Assassin's Creed fighting game spinoff.

I am confused.

3. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Yup, being a huge Street Fighter fan, this film was a breath of fresh air. The fight scenes were amazingly done, with a lot of nods towards the games, which I enjoyed a lot. The plot was true to the backstory of Ryu and Ken and their master. This is what the major studios should have done, not some retarded film with Van Damme or Kristin Kreuk. If they used actual canon material, fans would be happy. One thing I did appreciate was that they didn't make the fireballs out to be something you rarely used, but actual attacks that had their place. Can't wait till for the sequel. I doubt many people on DLP have watched it though, not many SF fans here. :\

4. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

I watched the webseries on YouTube and was really impressed. Great fight scenes, pretty good special effects and a pretty good story too. Easily the best live action Street Fighter movie. It might even rank above the animes, but I haven't watched those lately. Is the full movie release just those 12 web episodes stitched together in sequence, or is there a lot of editing done? I could see it really dragging in the middle if it's just the web stuff in sequence.

I love that they managed to tell a decent story while staying so true to the established canon. And I love that there were so many little nods in there for the fans. The offhand mentions of Gen and Dan, the short cameo of Charlie/Guile, Ono putting in an appearance like the Japanese Stan Lee... all subtle enough that anyone who didn't get the reference wouldn't notice there was a reference being made.

Ryu and Ken being dressed up in their Street Fighter Alpha gear was a great touch, even if Ken looked dumb with that ponytail. And I really got a kick out of the training montage with Ken's dad, them all bouncing up and down like the in-game sprites.