Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  

Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Great Hall > Hall of Shame
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 08-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #61
Taure
God of Magic
~Soap Box~

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
*Autocorrect on the phone changed the author's name to "Yuck Wang." Fiiiiine by me XD
Know how I know you're gay?

At some time in the past you have written "yuck wang" on your phone.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #62
Blaise
God of Magic

Know how I know you're gay?

"Yuck Wang" means something to you (as opposed to assuming I've simply typed "yuck" and "Wang" on separate occasions) - and that something has gay connotations.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #63
Taure
God of Magic
~Soap Box~

DLP Supporter Donor Star
"Yuck, wang!"

As in, "Oh no, Joe, your wang is yucky!"

Old 08-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #64
Sin Saiori
Headmaster

I'll send ff.net a report after dinner.

Also, wouldn't it be better to contact Rowling (the person who has final say in what can and can't be written concerning her works) instead of WB (who's lookin' for someone to rape)? If WB does get contacted extensively, chances are they'd go after the community as a whole, regardless of if they have already tried or planned to in the future. A single email from Rowling would get the story pulled, his account banned, and he'd probably feel even worse than shit for getting smacked down by the original author.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...
Old 08-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #65
Zeitgeist
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klael View Post
Fuck it, I reported it to both FF.net AND Warner Brothers. I want FF.Net to remove his account, and because I'm a bastard, I want Warner Brothers to sue his organization for what he's done here. And by "what he's done here," I mean "write MoR."
Hold your horses, and please listen to Grinning Lizard. I dislike MoR for its rather ridiculous interpretation of Harry, but I really don't think succumbing to vehemence is the best option. Violent reports/PMs won't solve anything, since the ff.net admins probably want to wipe their hands clean of any shitstorms. Alerting WB is only worse. I do not want a repeat of Anne Rice.

Think about this rationally (xD) and restrain yourself. I repeat: we don't want another Anne Rice, or a variant thereof. The best option atm seems to be sending carefully worded reports to ff.net, not reviews. We can proceed from there.

+Nominated for 2012 Annual Game Music Awards

SURVIVOR: DLP - Outwit, Outplay, Outlast||STAR WARS: A Mafia Variant||Meta Mafia: Slumber Party [FEMMAFIA]||STAR WARS III: A Mafia Variant||Under the Same Sky - A Pokémon Story//
DIGIMON ADVENTURE. Goodbye, childhood. //Have Courage, Protect Friendship, Continue to Love, Show Sincerity, Gather Knowledge, Endeavour for Reliability, Hold Hope, Shine Light, Express Kindness||
Old 08-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #66
Perspicacity
God of Magic
Rosicrucian

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat Piscis View Post
I'd assume that he'd need a highschool diploma/a bachelor's degree to go to grad school.

However, as you're the one with the PhD, I'm inclined to assume that you probably know better than I do about this topic.
It's not unheard of for people with nontraditional schooling to matriculate into graduate school without a high school diploma and/or baccalaureate degree. When I was in physics grad school, I was good friends with two people who had a similar background, both wunderkinds who didn't fit the traditional scholastic mold. Stephen Wolfram (MacArthur Award winner, inventor of the Mathematica software, and Professor of Physics at Caltech at the ripe old age of 20) is perhaps the most famous example in recent years. He and my thesis advisor were classmates at Oxford before Wolfram bailed sans Baccalaureate to enter the graduate program in particle physics at Caltech.

Yudkowsky is no Wolfram (who is?) but he wouldn't exactly be forging new ground were he to go straight to grad school. While I might find him a distasteful personality and while I might doubt that he's anywhere near as smart as he thinks he is*, I won't deny that Yudkowsky is brilliant nonetheless and fully capable of graduate study.

* Something I might suffer from as well.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #67
Grinning Lizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalin's Pipe Organs View Post
What's with these pacifist views that are being propagated by GL?

It's fun to bash deserving LessWrong-like noobs on DLP.
You can read virtually every other post I've ever made to understand how little I'm a pacifist. And I think you missed the 'think about more than yourself' part of everything I have posted thus far in this thread.

Bash him all you like. This is somewhat a seperate issue.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #68
Swimdraconian
Denarii Host

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Copy pasted directly from his profile:

Quote:
Update 8/26:

Please ignore all the reviews suggesting that my offer to do the moral equivalent of shaving my head on Youtube if a charity meets its donation goals will bring about the downfall of all Harry Potter fandom everywhere. This is not a real backlash. It is being coordinated by a troll forum called Dark Lord Potter, whose shtick is pretending to be snooty exclusive Harry Potter fanfiction critics (yes, really), and which hates hates hates MoR for being higher-status than them. Helping a charity would predictably set them off. And while I do thank everyone who jumped to this fic's defense, having these sorts of arguments in the reviews is not the way I want to increase my review count. Thanks to Dark Lord Potter for helping to keep this fic #1, though.

(Dark Lord Potter specializes in concern trolling, messages which start out looking serious and helpful to lure you into the start of the argument. Be extremely wary if you get a private message suggesting that your fic has promise but could benefit from the critique at Dark Lord Potter. I got one of those early on and then later discovered that the sender, Silens Cursor, had been bragging in the DLP chatrooms about how he was going to bring me to the DLP forums so they could all bash on MoR and crush my soul. Yes, really.)

Needless to say if anyone at Fanfiction.net or JKR & co. does object, the request will be immediately removed with apologies, but I see nothing in FF's guidelines or any published comment by JKR which indicates that it should be prohibited. JKR said no commercialization, which if it doesn't prohibit FF running ads, certainly doesn't prohibit accelerating a publication schedule if a charity meets donation goals. FF's Community Guidelines say nothing on the subject at all.
Jesusmotherfukkinchrist, he's like a self-opening pinata.

I am honestly at a loss for words. Crazy comes to mind. Deluded and narcissistic also pop up. But somehow I don't think they quite describe the level of bugfuck-insane Fantasyville this guy lives in. It's like he skews everything in his mind so that he's cast as the victim.

Never read his story, have no inclination to read his story, and I certainly want nothing to do with MoR after reading this.

Edit for Sesc: :P

Edit 2: If this is his version of rationality, I'd wager his grasp of the real world is tenuous at best. That's not exactly a glowing recommendation of his own work.

Last edited by Swimdraconian; 08-26-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #69
Sesc
Slytherin at Heart

LessWrong felt he needed to review his own story.

Quote:
Please ignore all the reviews suggesting that my offer to do the equivalent of shaving my head on Youtube if a charity meets its donation goals will bring about the downfall of all Harry Potter fandom everywhere. These reviews are from a troll forum called Dark Lord Potter, whose shtick is pretending to be snooty exclusive Harry Potter fanfiction critics (yes, really), and which hates hates hates MoR for being higher-status than them. Helping a charity would predictably set them off.

(Dark Lord Potter specializes in concern trolling, messages which start out looking serious and helpful to lure you into the start of the argument. Be extremely wary if you get a polite-looking private message suggesting that your fic has promise but could benefit from the critique at Dark Lord Potter. I got one of those early on and then later discovered that the sender, Silens Cursor, had been bragging in the DLP chatrooms about how he was going to bring me to the DLP forums so they could all bash on MoR and crush my soul. Yes, really.)

I'm grateful to everyone who jumped to this fic's defense - thank you - but your previous defenses should be enough, and having these sorts of arguments in the reviews is not the way I want to increase my review count. Thanks to Dark Lord Potter for helping to keep this fic #1, though.

(Needless to say if anyone at Fanfiction dot net or JKR & co. does object, the request will be immediately removed with apologies, but I see nothing in FF's guidelines or any published comment by JKR which indicates that it should be prohibited. JKR said no commercialization, which if it doesn't prohibit FF running ads, certainly doesn't prohibit accelerating a publication schedule if a charity meets donation goals. FF's Community Guidelines say nothing on the subject at all.)
There are six mentions of DLP or Dark Lord Potter within the four paragraphs. Thanks awfully for the advertisement. And now I'll report the story for no other reason than that this is one of the more funny things we've done lately.

Edit: Swim, you ninja

Secrets of the war, a murder and a fatal attraction. And he has to struggle as hard as he ever did, lest that all might prove to be his undoing.

Unatoned, a Harry Potter Noir Story

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey,
Is that true?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:23 PM   #70
T3t
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Wow, that's hilarious. Anybody who cares to come over here and look will see that he's misinterpreting at best and outright lying at worst; we're hardly conducting a smear campaign and his institute is not a "charity".

And oh yes, DLP is apparently the root of all evil - seriously, "concern trolling"? What a retarded accusation. Why would we want to bother with bad fics in the first place? That's just beyond stupid.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #71
Atomicwalrus
Second Year

I don't no how he can sit on his high horse and talk about how were bad mouthing him for helping a charity, I mean its not like its trying to cure cancer its a bunch of nerds sitting around talking about how cool it would be if we had AI.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #72
T3t
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Is it really a charity? I thought it was just a non-profit, and one is not the other.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #73
Sesc
Slytherin at Heart

The funny thing is that LessWrong couldn't be More Wrong. The TOS of FF.net clearly states that

Quote:
D. You agree not to use the Website for any commercial use, without the prior written authorization of FanFiction.Net. Prohibited commercial uses include any of the following actions taken without FanFiction.Net's express approval:
  • sale of access to the Website or its related services on another website;
  • use of the Website or its related services for the primary purpose of gaining advertising or subscription revenue;
  • the sale of advertising, on the FanFiction.Net website or any third-party website, targeted to the content of specific User Submissions or FanFiction.Net content;
  • and any use of the Website or its related services that FanFiction.Net finds, in its sole discretion, to use FanFiction.Net's resources or User Submissions with the effect of competing with or displacing the market for FanFiction.Net, FanFiction.Net content, or its User Submissions.
I don't see how that leaves any wiggle room at all for what he does.

Secrets of the war, a murder and a fatal attraction. And he has to struggle as hard as he ever did, lest that all might prove to be his undoing.

Unatoned, a Harry Potter Noir Story

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey,
Is that true?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:37 PM   #74
Schrodinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicwalrus View Post
I don't know how he can sit on his high horse and talk about how we're bad mouthing him for helping a charity, I mean it's not like it's trying to cure cancer it's a bunch of nerds sitting around talking about how cool it would be if we had AI.
Ahem.

In any case, I just don't see how bashing him helps anyone: clearly, he's the kind of person who believes any attention is good attention. Thus, the only way to really do anything to him is to ignore him: let the voices of superiority in his head keep him company.

Last edited by Schrodinger; 08-26-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 08-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #75
Atomicwalrus
Second Year

I think it might be able to get away with being called a charity because it gives away grant money.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #76
T3t
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
There are legal definitions for a charity, and even if it is (which I doubt) I'm not sure it gives him license to do this anyways.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:44 PM   #77
Klael
Unspeakable

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger View Post
Ahem.

In any case, I just don't see how bashing him helps anyone: clearly, he's the kind of person who believes any attention is good attention. Thus, the only way to really do anything to him is to ignore him: let the voices of superiority in his head keep him company.
I think that the entire internet is helped by the removal of his stupid ass and anything he's touched from the history books.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:45 PM   #78
Jormungandr
God of Magic

...I actually feel sort of sorry for him.

He must have some serious mental health issues if he has a superiority complex that large.
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 08-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #79
Fatality
Death Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3t View Post
There are legal definitions for a charity, and even if it is (which I doubt) I'm not sure it gives him license to do this anyways.
This. I couldn't just pirate a few thousand copies of a movie and start selling under the excuse that it was for a Charity.

And what he is doing is easily defined as a service. He is writing more and faster for money. I don't think there should be any debate about whether this is illegal or not.

As to why FF.net is allowed to post ads, does anyone know why? I'd assume it's because they're technically not making money from other people's copyrights, just from people visiting their site. I wouldn't say I know a lot about copyright law though - does anyone know for sure?
Old 08-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #80
T3t
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
FFN posting ads is pretty iffy, I'm pretty sure they're allowed to make enough to cover their costs for hosting etc, but not to actually profit beyond that. I'm not an expert on IP law though so...

Tags
about time troll tagging got started, degenerating thread alert, degenerating thread? degenerating from what?, good sir you can't be mo- (read user name) apparently you are more wrong., internet drama, make it stop, more or less wrong, nigga just went full retard, the game, troll