Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > General Fics
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #5101
Basilisk
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefar View Post
Go up to the line and use his wand?
Still wouldn't be able to put the paper in the cup. The only reason this worked in canon was because Crouch was not under 17...
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 11-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #5102
The Santi
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrojack View Post
Why doesn't he just get someone to enter his name, under a school with no other candidates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter12 part 2
[Harry] knew next to nothing about this Triwizard Tournament, but the image of him, standing in front of his old peers in Ravenclaw as the Durmstrang champion was intoxicating. He could practically see their shocked faces as he was announced, the most talented student at Durmstrang – a school that far outclassed Hogwarts.
Getting into the tournament is not an end all be all for Harry. One of his chief motivations is to show everyone at Hogwarts just how much better he is than them. He wants everyone to see him as the Durmstrang Champion.

Harry wouldn't consider entering himself under a different school because that's tantamount to admitting he's not good enough to be Durmstrang's champion.

“First came the fires, then, on their heels, a plague. The smell of death was everywhere, and fear gripped the populace. No one understood what was happening, and the strange ramblings of the survivors were ignored. By the time we realized we were under attack, it was too late. It was far too late.”

~Seven Days, (coming soon)

Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived

Join the Discussion

Old 11-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #5103
Styx0444
Headmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilisk
Still wouldn't be able to put the paper in the cup. The only reason this worked in canon was because Crouch was not under 17...
Except that if Harry could confound the Goblet, then floating the paper over the line and into it would work.
Threat #2: Whoever is fucking our koalas. Stop it.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #5104
KrzaQ
Dark Lord

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to KrzaQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx0444 View Post
Except that if Harry could confound the Goblet, then floating the paper over the line and into it would work.
No, it wouldn't. Confounding the Goblet would only increase his chances (to 100%) of being chosen, he'd still have to place a piece of parchment with his name in it somehow. And we already know that floating it over the line doesn't work.

@Santi: never thought of that, but it makes sense.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #5105
afrojack
Dark Lord

Send a message via AIM to afrojack
Quote:
Krum is 17?

I thought Harry would be able to approach the Goblet, since the Age Line is tied to the object itself? If not, then the aging potion would at least allow him to get close enough, perhaps at night using stealth, to Confound it and have a friend enter his name.

But Santi's point stands above that.

Last edited by afrojack; 11-09-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #5106
KrzaQ
Dark Lord

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrojack View Post
Krum is 17?

I thought Harry would be able to approach the Goblet, since the Age Line is tied to the object itself? If not, then the aging potion would at least allow to get close enough, perhaps at night using stealth, to Confound it and have a friend enter his name.

But Santi's point stands above that.
Fred & George managed to get close enough to the Goblet to throw their names in (although they were spat out later), so if it was Krum who entered Harry's name after Harry confounded the Goblet it could work, I think. But that way you'd have to dismiss Santi's point.

All canon champions (except Harry) were 17 at the point of entering their names.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #5107
afrojack
Dark Lord

Send a message via AIM to afrojack
The only way I could see to refute Santi's point in this would be to argue that as long as Harry was actually in the tournament, magically bound to compete and all, with a chance at victory, he wouldn't care what anyone thought, as long as he knew with certainty that that strategy would work. He might reason that victory would prove him more than worthy in the end, regardless of the means he used to enter.

I know that I personally would have no qualms about using that loophole, since the age limit is somewhat broken in the first place. Santi's point really hangs on how much legitimacy Harry is willing to assign the idea of having an age line there. If he thinks it's unfair, he might not have any compunctions about subverting it in any way possible.

But Santi's point is quite reasonable, and these are only various ideas and suggestions.

Last edited by afrojack; 11-09-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #5108
Churchey

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/sh...&postcount=192

So....where is this Daphne we were promised, or am I misinterpreting something?
Old 11-10-2011, 01:10 AM   #5109
KrzaQ
Dark Lord

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Chapter 16 isn't done yet, but tbh I am clueless as to how Daphne is going to play a role. Good find, though.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:51 AM   #5110
Red
DA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taure View Post
Nice snippet. At first I thought that Harry was going to fail to get his name into the Goblet, only to find that Calypso had entered his name without his permission. But it looks like this new plan is going to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expelliarmus View Post
Nice snippet. At first I thought that Harry was going to fail to get his name into the Goblet, only to find that Calypso had entered his name without his permission, or that Nathan would be the only minor to be a champion of the Triwizard. However, after reading your new update, I think that this new plan is going to work.

In the end, Ivan's trick is to count for something positive for Harry.

Great stuff, The Santi.
Taure V2.0

On-topic: It says something about the state of my life that anytime I find an update to this story my day is 10x better. Good stuff as usual, Santi.

Last edited by Red; 11-10-2011 at 02:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-10-2011, 03:32 AM   #5111
Psychotic Cat
Death Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Taure V2.0

He's spreading... I fucking knew he's a zombie.

On topic, I really liked the bit with Nathan it'll be nice to see he and Harry getting more page time together.

Last edited by Psychotic Cat; 11-10-2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:16 AM   #5112
Kalypso
First Year

Yes, I also liked the interaction between the brothers.
How Nathan just wanted to hang out with Harry, but is willing to spend the day in the library researching to help him (as opposed to first year when he always went with Ron).

Hermoine seemed a bit in over her head in the discussion, it will be quite amusing to see the "cleverest witch" and know-it-all being outperformed by Harry and possibly Calypso as well.

When Harry was still in Hogwarts Hermoine was completely shocked that he earned the top spot in exams. When Harry went to Durmstrang she lost her biggest competition and now he is back and the intellectual difference between them is even more obvious.

The interaction between characters, their development and the subtle tensions are done extremely well and the best thing in this story, really great work Santi!

I just noticed something else, the beginning of the chapter is the evening of october 31st, the next section "when at first you don't succeed" is also set on oct 31st, but it beginns in the morning. Shouldn't this be the next day, nov. first?

Last edited by Kalypso; 11-10-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #5113
silverlasso
Dark Lord

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Overall, I like how the Goblet stuff is working out. It makes sense, and I think what Dumbledore said regarding it is interesting.

I'm curious, though; from the Goblet's POV, how does Harry now stack up against people who are of age and simply entered normally? Clearly Harry is expending great intellectual and magical effort to enter the Tournament. Is he now better off in the eyes of the Goblet because he was arbitrarily prevented from entering and got around that in an impressive way? So hypothetically, the rules/age line meant to prevent underage people from entering could have the opposite effect.

♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙
♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
Old 11-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #5114
C.J.C
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchey View Post
https://forums.darklordpotter.net/sh...&postcount=192

So....where is this Daphne we were promised, or am I misinterpreting something?
You can actually remember that far back in this thread? There are over 5141 replies to this thread, and you remember one in the first two hundred?

Great update, as expected. Kira isn't going to remain Krum's girlfriend for more then three chapters.

Am I the only one that is really looking foreward to Harry's eventual confrontation with the Ravenclaws?
Old 11-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #5115
Beonid
Fifth Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.C View Post
You can actually remember that far back in this thread? There are over 5141 replies to this thread, and you remember one in the first two hundred?

Great update, as expected. Kira isn't going to remain Krum's girlfriend for more then three chapters.

Am I the only one that is really looking foreward to Harry's eventual confrontation with the Ravenclaws?

Churchey linked to the third 'Almost Recommended' thread, not this one.

I doubt there'd be a confrontation at all, really. The Ravenclaws were painted as nuisances from day one, and a nuisance isn't something that warrants an 'epic showdown'.
You have two options. Wait until I leave and try to murder Abigail - but then I’ll come back. I’ll slay every lice-ridden peasant, anything that moves and can’t climb a tree. Or you can try to live honorable lives, clear your conscience, and start again. The choice is yours.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #5116
Jormungandr
God of Magic

I'd still like to see Harry kick them magically in the nuts, though.
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
Old 11-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #5117
Churchey

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.C View Post

I was searching Almost Recommended for something to pass the time and came across that post. After checking Santi's FFN profile for any other fics he could have been referring to, I assumed he actually meant TBWL and decided to bring it up since we are 2/3rds through chapter 16.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #5118
CheddarTrek
Set Phasers to Melt

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I'd guess that in the time since he posted that his outline for the story has changed a bit as far as "what goes where." Daphne might still have a big role somehow, but I wouldn't still expect it to be in Chapter 16 -- unless she does something that accidentally helps Harry enter the Tourney, but that seems a bit out there.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:32 AM   #5119
Aggrocrag
Squib

Actually, this may be the perfect timing for any bloodpurist!Daphne, Now that they are at Hogwarts, as a bloodpurist, she recognizes Rosier?

Ignore if this has been previously over-processed on this thread.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #5120
rposter
Muggle

Why is Calypso so set on there being no way to retrieve Harry's original memory? It seems to me there is a very obvious way for Harry to find out what really happened in that detention. He just has to get powerful enough so that he can take it back from Ivan.

Can you really see Harry letting the one person who bested and so thoroughly humiliated him go unpunished? I can easily see Harry around 6th year torturing Ivan as payback and finding out what really happened.
Closed Thread

Tags
3000 club, 4000 club, 5000 club, author:pureb99, author:the santi