Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Other Fandoms > Almost Recommended
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 10-14-2016, 11:58 PM   #1
Garden
Minister for Magic

Naruto Content Uzumaki by AlmostElectric - T - Naruto

Title: Uzumaki
Author: AlmostElectric
Rating: T
Genre: Drama/Romance with lots of Adventure and a touch of Angst
Fandom: Naruto
Pairings: Fem!Sasuke/Naruto
Summary: Uchiha Satsuki, avenger, doesn't love anything, or anyone. Not revenge, not tomatoes, and definitely – definitely! – not Uzumaki Naruto. But when she winds up on a genin team with him, she realises there's more to his smile than teeth and sunshine. Female!Sasuke
Link: On FFnet and on SB

First chapter starts off a little shaky, and the fic starts off with some fluff. But it gets dark fast, a couple of chapters in, without venturing into grimdark.

It's basically female!Sasuke, Naruto, and Sakura on a team, and since the story gets darker than canon, the theme of revenge comes up a lot, in between mild (justified) angst, legitimately

It feels like a canon retreading at first, but it does have substantial differences early on, and they start to compound later on. The writing and characterization are also good enough that I really enjoyed even the parts that were retreading.

Satsuki, Naruto, Sakura, and Kakashi are the heart of this fic, and they all work beautifully together. They feel like real characters, the dialogue is snappy and a joy to read, and the pace is fast.

The main flaws are the retreading of canon in certain parts (though future updates will hopefully change this) and a couple of plot points that feel forced for the sake of drama. I think the pairing, which I've never seen written well outside of Menace's work, is especially good, and the friendships between the characters is also really authentic. Sakura, especially later on, also becomes an interesting character.

4.5 ---> 5
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Dark Minion
Bright Minion

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Moved into the library based on the thread rating.

Looking for a fandom?

Dark Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
douter
Third Year

I wasn't sure if I had read this story or had just read something very similar, it wasn't till about halfway through that I came to conclusion I had read this story.

I don't mind this fic, it's got good dialogue, the writing kept me glued to the screen and has great characters. There were good emotional scenes that tugged at the old heart strings, but others kinda fell flat.

This fic does have a very good female Sasuke, she isn't just Sasuke with boobs, she feels like her own character. Which was nice.

But in the end I didn't really care for the story, it had some different points and great character interaction, but I didn't really like it overall it.

Last edited by douter; 01-13-2017 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Change rating
douter is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 01-11-2017, 09:29 PM   #4
I Burn Water
Seventh Year

Send a message via Yahoo to I Burn Water
Would you want to explain why you didn't like it? Just for potential future readers?
I Burn Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
Republic
Chief Warlock
The Snow Queen

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 4,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Burn Water View Post
Would you want to explain why you didn't like it? Just for potential future readers?
Because Uzumaki started out well, but has completely shit the bed in the second half of what exists currently.

Sasuke in this is great, as mentioned. The one who suffers is Naruto.

Specifically; and this is a MAJOR spoiler:

The author all but forcing Naruto to defect for seemingly no fucking reason at all, just to keep in line with his mirror situation fantasy without bothering with such silly things as setup, motivation or characterization.

Not limited to that, of course, but that is the main reason why Uzumaki went right off my alert list after the latest update.

I want to give it a 2 for the sake of good fem!Sasuke, but that in itself is not enough.
Step 3) Declare yourself best in the fandom.
Step 4) Bask.
My life, for Aiur... ... For the Alliance
Steam Profile.

Permanently tilted
Republic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 4 thumbs up
Old 01-12-2017, 12:32 AM   #6
Jester
Sixth Year

After what Menace did to me with his NarutoxFem!Sasuke, like an addict, I turned to this story hoping for my fix to be scratched.

It's a solid story, easy to read and enjoy, but as Republic has stated above the author has decided to just force the story one way. The character development doesn't really seem to justify it. The premise is solid and good Naruto reading has been scarce as of late. The grammar, pacing, and general structure is pleasing to the eye.

I'll probably keep reading as I do have an itch to scratch.

3.5/5
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:30 AM   #7
Dark Minion
Bright Minion

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Re-moved into almost recommended based on the thread rating.

Looking for a fandom?

Dark Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:55 AM   #8
pbluekan
Seventh Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
4/5. The story is engrossing, well written and a good read so far.

Grammatically it's fairly flawless. I haven't noticed anything other than a couple of extremely minor errors up to chapter twenty two.

The characters are wonderfully detailed and crucially, they are different. Satsuki, as Garden said, isn't Sasuke with tits, she's different. Different enough from her canon self that she is the fulcrum of change in the AU. More importantly, however, is that her personality is done well. Naruto is also done well. With the two major changes in the AU realistically changing his character in minor, but apparent ways.

Where I think the whole story loses a lot of my interest is the author's forceful application of plot. Rep said it first, and I agree. The characters he's got just don't quite fit with what he's trying to do.

In any case, I hate typing this shit out on my phone but it needs to be said. The scene

with Ino in Naruto's mind was probably one of my, to date, favorite house of horrors scenes in any fic in any fandom I've yet read. It also outclasses any of the Ino in Naruto's mind scenes I've ever read. It was fucking visceral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareOtters View Post
“I have to lick my balls that night,” said Sirius nervously.
pbluekan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:14 AM   #9
Republic
Chief Warlock
The Snow Queen

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 4,495
That's another thing I forgot to mention.

Ino in Naruto's mind. What the actual fuck? Who the fuck even is Ino? Did we really need to spend so long on a character nobody gives a shit about, doing something no one gives a shit about?

I'd never outright skipped before in this story, but boy did I skip these parts. Then again, perhaps I am biased. I always hated these sort of 'Mindscape'-y sequences, and viewed then as pointless at best, giant black holes of interest at worst. So I can't speak for how shiny the turd is, in this case.
Step 3) Declare yourself best in the fandom.
Step 4) Bask.
My life, for Aiur... ... For the Alliance
Steam Profile.

Permanently tilted
Republic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:20 PM   #10
douter
Third Year

The mindscape scenes were pretty good compared to alot of other stories, that said Ino sort of just appeared in this fic which was weird.

Now that I have had some more time to digested this story I'm going to have to bump it down to a 3/5, the last half is just pissing me off.
douter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author: almostelectric, drama, fem!sasuke/naruto, naruto, romance