Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > FanFiction Extras > Other Fandoms > Worm
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 04-23-2017, 12:16 AM   #2681
D.H.
Seventh Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Belra View Post
That's all anyone needed to say really. I'm sold.
Why all the Danny hate? I never understood that.
D.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:22 AM   #2682
Langit
Squib

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.H. View Post
Why all the Danny hate? I never understood that.
From what I can gather, people find him useless and obstructionist. And not to mention boring. People probably feel like he failed Taylor as a father, and I don't disagree but I personally liked him. He was interesting and complex.
Langit is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 04-23-2017, 01:32 AM   #2683
Saot
Groundskeeper

I liked Danny in the original story, but I don't think I've read even a single good fanfic where he had a meaningful presence. He inevitably either gets in the way of the story, or ends up filling far to large of a role in the story despite not doing anything interesting.

Also he will say "kiddo" a lot for no apparent reason.
Saot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #2684
D.H.
Seventh Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Good points. On second thought, it may be better that most fanfic writers get him out of the way. Writing complex relationships is difficult, and I wouldn't trust most fanfic writers to be able to pull it off.
D.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:48 AM   #2685
Jarik
Chief Warlock

Send a message via MSN to Jarik
Danny's canon character suited the role he was given.

He was the caricature of the civilian world Taylor left behind, one of the only characters that weren't Capes themselves or otherwise involved in the Cape World and actually made an impact on Taylor's life. He was there to show that contrast in Taylor's life before and after Worm, to be the one person she actually cared about being outed as a Villain to.

He was fine for that role. But for some reason, fanon tries to make him more. He becomes a cape and joins Taylor in her endeavors. Or he starts playing the role of a strict parent, telling Taylor what she can and can't do as a Cape. Or he becomes her most trusted advisor in her Cape activities. Or he becomes the hero and takes the school to court.

This is a massive change in his role, as he becomes a player in the Cape World as well. And in almost all instances of fanfiction where Danny appears as a more important character, his role seems entirely there to diminish Taylor's agency as compared to canon. Either by literally stealing her agency by playing a parenting role and holding her back from getting involved in stuff, or by stealing her credit by helping her overcome the struggles she won by herself in canon.

It just feels completely undeserved when he gets to become a player in the Cape world, especially given that he wasn't all that exciting or special as a character - he just played his role as you'd expect. It'd be like reading a HP fanfic where Harry gets mentored in Wizard politics by Hermione's parents.

Last edited by Jarik; 04-24-2017 at 12:51 AM.
Jarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:08 AM   #2686
Insignificature
First Year

Anyone read Overhaul? It's written by Harbin, who I remember being recommended at some point here. He did Cutting Ties and Twinnings. Overhaul is only 6 chapters long at the moment, and still in its early stages, but I like it so far.

Quote:
Spoiler-Free Summary: It's November 2009, and Taylor Hebert is a Ward. As a Ward, she goes by the name Shelter, and is a Tinker. The story is intended to have serious character development over a decent period, in both mind and body.

tl;dr: Taylor altpower, significant AU. Tinker stuff. Transhumanist themes.
The major AU, apart from Taylor being a tinker, is that

Annette and Danny are both alive, and divorced. Taylor has been crippled at some point in an accident which she blamed on her mother and Emma (but the details haven't been revealed yet). And Taylor is in the wards and attending Arcadia.

I like it. The writing seems good, to my eyes at least, and Taylor's relationships and interactions with those around her are extremely emotional and interesting to read. So far the story shows a lot of promise to me, so long as she doesn't fight Lung or join the Undersiders I think it could be really good.

The biggest problem with it so far is that it seems to be shaping up to be a slow story, and there just isn't all that much content yet. I think its worth checking out, but I don't think that you'd be wrong to put off reading it until a few more chapters come out.
Old Yesterday, 12:39 AM   #2687
Jarik
Chief Warlock

Send a message via MSN to Jarik
Don't think it's been posted here yet, but came across this Contessa-centric fic in its early stages on FF.net.

It's obviously a bit of a lighthearted comedy, but still a bit refreshing exploring post-Worm universe and also having Contessa as the protagonist for something a bit different.

Quote:
Loaf By: xbritomartx Following Golden Morning, Contessa decides to bake the perfect loaf of bread—without using her power. Things go awry.
Rated: Fiction T - English - Humor - Contessa, Number Man - Chapters: 8 - Words: 22,181 - Reviews: 6 - Favs: 13 - Follows: 17 - Updated: Apr 22 - Published: Apr 7 - id: 12436863
Jarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:42 AM   #2688
Langit
Squib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarik View Post
Don't think it's been posted here yet, but came across this Contessa-centric fic in its early stages on FF.net.

It's obviously a bit of a lighthearted comedy, but still a bit refreshing exploring post-Worm universe and also having Contessa as the protagonist for something a bit different.
It has. One of the users here has reviewed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd View Post
Loaf: [/B](COMPLETE) Contessa centric, post-GM, crack. The premise is Contessa wanting to connect with her past to bake a bread without using her powers, and something happening just as she is about to finish. The characterization started out mostly on-point, with some artistic license expansion on Sleeper's power, which WB won't tell anyone, but I thought this was a good and fitting take on it. The crack comes from the situational comedy, contrived situations that happen at the wrong time and wrong place just to keep Contessa from completing her goals without relying on PtV.

The Cauldron cast and Irregulars show up, also well in-character, reacting to the strange events. DLP doesn't usually go for crack, and I don't either, but I liked the expansion on the post-GM world, and the non-Taylor protagonist. Also the bread. I am a big fan of bread. The prose was proficient, a few mistakes and extraneous apostrophes, but nothing major. Some humorous moments, but the crack mostly came from the characters' reaction to crazy situations thrown in by the author rather than jokes and wordplay. The plot started out interesting, meandered around the last 1/3, but finished on a mostly happy note. But it's finished.

3/5.
Langit is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up

Tags
worm