Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Politics
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old Yesterday, 05:01 AM   #261
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesc View Post
Hmm, I have a question. There's been Op-Eds by some journalist from a small-town newspaper (Hillsboro, OH), trying to explain what makes the people tick there. The bottom line was that he showed people there to be concerned with daily-life stuff -- a new doctor coming to town, school-bus routes changing etc., stuff that his paper covers. It went on to say,

I suppose this concerning yourself with your matters is fair enough. But on the other hand, if you think that "this Russia hysteria" is "no real news" and you just don't care at all -- then should you be allowed to elect a president in the first place?

If the conclusion is that the US is just too large, and for most people DC too far, then maybe all those state's rights champions are right. Perhaps it would be better to strengthen the states, and let that be the largest election anyone votes in. And as for the minimal rest the federation does, well, the governors could simply meet and pick a representative. As they are elected, he would still have a certain legitimation, but enough distance from the people to avoid surprises of the Trump-kind, and perhaps everyone would be better off for it.
It's less that people don't care about national issues than that they can't see how this particular national issue affects them personally, and they therefore don't see why they should be concerned. It's a shortsighted view; people cared about the Russians in the Cold War, but people have spent 25 years hearing that the Cold War is over, and that Russia isn't a threat anymore.

When people hear about national issues that do concern their daily lives, suddenly they care a great deal. Healthcare. Taxes. Regulatory structures that affect the business they work in. Minimum wage.

The other trouble is that people can't bring themselves to care about 'the Russia thing's if they voted for Trump because it would be a tacit admission that they were wrong to vote for him, so people will ignore a ton until the weight of it is overwhelming before they admit that it's important.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

And from that turmoil, power. The power to bend the universe to my will.

- Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM   #262
Chengar Qordath
Auror
The Final Pony

High Score: 1,802
I could also imagine there's a strain of thought that says Trump just made a tactical alliance with Russia to knock out Hillary, and now that he has what he wants he won't give them an inch. I can certainly buy that Trump opens up every one of his interactions with Russia with "What's in it for me?" and generally works to get as much as he can for himself at the lowest possible cost.

From what I've heard talking to Trump supporters, a lot of them don't think the Russia thing seriously impairs his impartiality. Russia had something he wanted, and he got it from them. A small price to pay for blocking "Crooked Hillary" from the presidency.
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM   #263
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chengar Qordath View Post
From what I've heard talking to Trump supporters, a lot of them don't think the Russia thing seriously impairs his impartiality. Russia had something he wanted, and he got it from them. A small price to pay for blocking "Crooked Hillary" from the presidency.
That is a legit feeling by some, but I find it staggering. They're the same people who probably voted for Reagan because they thought he'd be tough on the Soviets.

"But hey, what's a little treason if it means keeping Shillary out?"

Mind-boggling.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM   #264
Chengar Qordath
Auror
The Final Pony

High Score: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Revan View Post
That is a legit feeling by some, but I find it staggering. They're the same people who probably voted for Reagan because they thought he'd be tough on the Soviets.

Mind-boggling.
Pretty sure most of them get around that by not seeing it as treason
Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM   #265
Invictus
Heir

Quote:

Mind-boggling.
They prolly didn't see Iran-Contras as treason or anything similar either. Just fightinf the good fight against EVIL.
Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM   #266
Rehio
Denarii Host

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
They prolly didn't see Iran-Contras as treason or anything similar either. Just fightinf the good fight against EVIL.
It's far more likely that they've never even heard of Iran-Contras.
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM   #267
Invictus
Heir

Quote:
Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr blamed House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes for “creating” the allegation that Obama national security adviser Susan Rice improperly “unmasked” Trump associates in intelligence reports.
Another shitstorm in potential. Might be why Nunes ran so quickly towards resigning for private sector.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...s-against-rice
Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM   #268
ASmallBundleOfToothpicks
Groundskeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Rose View Post
Apparently Caitlyn Jenner is planning a Senate run.

http://www.avclub.com/article/caitly...ocialMarketing

Can't imagine that'll end well for her.

Conservatives will hate her because she's transgender, and lefties will hate her because they're a pack of vicious fuckers with a taste for thoughtcrime. Which leaves what, liberals who can be guilted into voting for the minority candidate and Republicans trying to convince themselves that they're still good people?

A grand total of probably six people are not enough to make up a base.
Yeah The Rock/ Caitlyn Jenner 2020. Sounds like a ticket that's pure gold.

Pretty sure this is just a publicity stunt or a bunch political commentators trying fill air time with bullshit. Although I was wrong about the healthcare bill... I have no doubt they'll try again in a few months, probably with an even more horrific debacle of a bill that will kill even more people.
ASmallBundleOfToothpicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:44 AM   #269
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Another shitstorm in potential. Might be why Nunes ran so quickly towards resigning for private sector.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...s-against-rice
Interesting.

I think you're thinking of Jason Chaffetz, btw. Nunes didn't resign.

Old Today, 07:14 AM   #270
Invictus
Heir

Quote:
Interesting.

I think you're thinking of Jason Chaffetz, btw. Nunes didn't resign.
I am. Suprisingly big amount of shifty Intelligence related politicians who keep lying for no reason. Chaffetz is the one that said there were 'proofs of wiretapes' and Nunes is the one that recused himself only to keep doing the same thing, right?
Old Today, 10:24 AM   #271
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
I am. Suprisingly big amount of shifty Intelligence related politicians who keep lying for no reason. Chaffetz is the one that said there were 'proofs of wiretapes' and Nunes is the one that recused himself only to keep doing the same thing, right?
Yep. Chaffetz is now a pundit on Fox News, and Nunes keeps appearing for no reason.

Old Today, 03:43 PM   #272
Giovanni
The Fifth House
God of Scotch

Apparently the Senate will be voting on a motion to proceed on the US House healthcare bill on Tuesday. It will be hilarious if this shit sandwich passes.

Quote:
Xiph0 What then?

Xiph0 Everyone needs projects.

Giovanni No long term projects except the goal of acquiring more property so that I can die.
Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:23 PM   #273
Invictus
Heir

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...t-to-uk-report
The President of the United States ladies and gentlemen. Having to be potty trained so not to embarrass ally UK.

Quote:
President Trump will make a “dummy visit” to the United Kingdom this year, amid concerns that an official visit from the U.S. president could embarrass Queen Elizabeth, according to a report from The Daily Mail.
It's he DM. But like a Mormon, I choose to believe.