Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Other Fandoms > Almost Recommended
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 04-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #1
Oz
Migos Enthusiast

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to Oz
Worm The Rise of One by checkerboard.paint - Worm

Title: The Rise of One
Author: checkerboard.paint
Rating: T
Genre: Alternate Universe
Fandom: Worm
Pairings: None
Summary: Things don't go as planned after the Echidna fight. Hell, they don't even try to follow the script after Taylor's identity was revealed. But everything truly falls apart when the Simurgh comes to Brockton Bay. Canon divergence/AU
Link: FFN

I've been enjoying this the last few weeks. Pacing might be a bit slow for some people, but update rate is pretty steady and I'm liking the interactions between Taylor and the others.

4/5 atm, but I'll probably raise that to a 5/5 if the quality stays this good.

Last edited by Palindrome; 04-17-2016 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Post icons
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:15 PM   #2
Vira
Unspeakable

Definitely well written, but time will tell how good this will get. I still don't know where it's going, but I hope to know soon.

4/5.
Vira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
Jarik
Chief Warlock

Send a message via MSN to Jarik
Too early to really rate it, but I'm loving it so far. Interaction between the characters has been good. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.
Jarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #4
Halt
High Inquisitor
1/3 of the Note Bros.

Taylor gets aged up with an additional year of bullying (and torture). For reasons. This plot point just really grates on my nerves, like aging HP up grating or villager-torture child Naruto grating.

Other than that, well-written and character interaction has been a joy to read, but feels too early to rate. Tentative 3.5/5, rounding up to 4/5.

Halt's Archive Project: Other Fandom Almost Recommended | RWBY Features | Worm Features
Halt is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 04-18-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
Ferdiad
Auror

Yeah the fics alright if a bit boring but tbh I find the additional torture she went though to be a bit weird. I mean I already thought the bullying in canon was ridiculous but the extra stuff the author does to her is beyond reason. Like people said, I don't see the reason for it, it's seemed to have no impact on taylor besides a bit of body horror.
3/5
Ferdiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:01 AM   #6
Oz
Migos Enthusiast

DLP Supporter Donor Star
New chapter dropped. Nice mix of action and dialogue between Taylor and Weld.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:34 PM   #7
Nemrut
Order Member
The Black Mage

High Score: 2,101
Read this today and wow, I loved this so much. The atmosphere and tone, especially the way fights are structured make this feel so much like Worm, save with character interactions and dialog.

What is pulling this down, however, is the, as of now, seemingly arbitrary changes to things that happened in the past, Taylor's suffering and what happened with Purity and so on.

I don't know, it felt really unnecessary to me. Having Miss Militia, Clockblocker, Kid Win, Vista, Weld and Skitter fight for their survival on this strange earth whilst having to interact is plenty of exiting already, I don't see how these changes make it more interesting. if anything, they confuse the reader in a bad way, in an irritating way.

So, docking points for that but still

4/5

Signature done by Palindrome

Nemrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #8
Vira
Unspeakable

This updated a couple days ago and boy, what a chapter.

The lead up as Taylor and Weld search the village was creepy and only made it more horrifying when the chaos started. Miss Militia and Kid Win are MIA, and judging by the exploding gore trees, might have been killed. It was a great moment when Weld chose to leave Vista and save Taylor instead, and I’m sure a lot of conflict will occur due to this choice.

But Jesus, those gore trees.

I just noticed that this story is labelled Adventure/Romance in the FFnet summary. I wish more Romances were like this.
Vira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #9
Oz
Migos Enthusiast

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Hoooooly moly that was tense. I reread what's there today and I think this might be my favourite worm fic. Not cliched, good atmosphere and character interactions, engaging mystery, and solidly written.

<chatter> prophet muhammad peace be upon him was sent to destroy the musical instruments

Tags
alternate universe, author:checkerboard.paint, worm