Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  

Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Almost Recommended
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donor Bar
PatronusCharm Banner

Old 03-10-2017, 03:27 AM   #1021
Snapdragon
Sixth Year

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1238828...f-Harry-Potter

The growing level of paranoia is palpable and the characters make sense so far. IMHO really promising.

Last edited by Snapdragon; 03-10-2017 at 05:29 AM.
Snapdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:31 AM   #1022
Jarizok
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1238828...f-Harry-Potter

The growing level of paranoia is palpable and the characters make sense so far. IMHO really promising.
Clicking the link gave me this, for those too lazy to click the link (or to copy paste it in their initial recommendation):

The many Deaths of Harry Potter
By: ShayneT
In a world with a pragmatic, intelligent Voldemort, Harry discovers that he has the power to live, die and repeat until he gets it right.
Rated: Fiction T - English - Harry P., Hermione G. - Chapters: 8 - Words: 19,364 - Reviews: 40 - Favs: 42 - Follows: 94 - Updated: 9h ago - Published: Mar 2

---------- Post automerged at 15:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:06 ----------

So I read what there is so far, and while it's not bad per se, it's also not that good.

The plot is obviously heavily Wastelands inspired with the repeated dying and all, but starting with young Harry. The 1st death was interesting enough, but by now Harry's died at the end of half the chapters...

The universe is different and all, but people going out of their way to kill Harry this much

the muggle way!
just seems too out there to make it work properly for an 11 yo Harry on his own. I foresee about 76 deaths in the near future.
Jarizok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:10 AM   #1023
Harry_J_Potter
First Year

An interesting crossover popped up. It's Harry in Buffy's universe.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11993954/1/

Solid foundation so far. Demons are magic resistant. Makes Harry as not OP as other crossovers do. I hate the fact that Harry somehow can craft staffs and wand. Hopefully it will get explained better.

For people who hate staffs in Harry Potter universe. It's not OP in the story, it functions same way as the wand, it actually less powerful and less accurate.

The writing could get worked on a bit more. A bit too much telling instead of showing.

Otherwise a solid 3.5/5 story so far. But still too early to tell.
Harry_J_Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:45 AM   #1024
Red
Groundskeeper

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7606356...for-the-Wicked

Not sure if this has been fielded here. It's a HP/Death Note cross wherein Master of Death means one becomes Death King, ruler of Shinigami. It's Harry centric and begins right after Deathly Hallows. I found it to be an enjoyable read, so much so that when I reached the end I was disappointed that there wasn't more.

Edit: Link Fixed

Last edited by Red; 03-31-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 03-31-2017, 09:46 AM   #1025
Tasoli
Headmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

Not sure if this has been fielded here. It's a HP/Death Note cross wherein Master of Death means one becomes Death King, ruler of Shinigami. It's Harry centric and begins right after Deathly Hallows. I found it to be an enjoyable read, so much so that when I reached the end I was disappointed that there wasn't more.
Why is this leads to last chapter? I was terribly confused.

D
isney Land Paris
Tasoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:58 AM   #1026
Odran
Heir

What a pile of shit this is.

Not only does it say [Drama, Romance] in the genre tags, and the only characters listed are Harry and L, but Harry also gets called a "brunette" in one of the chapters. Seriously, why would you recommend something like this?
Old 03-31-2017, 12:47 PM   #1027
Palindrome
Magma Moderator

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via Skype™ to Palindrome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

Edit: Link Fixed
Been reading this and not yet all the way through - it's kind of half good. There's times it's pretty interesting and times it's pretty shit, and the tone bounces between absurd and poignant. Didn't realise it was slash until the hand-holding started (whoops), and the slash part is just weird but not too in-your-face thankfully.

It's sort of enjoyable. It reminds me of another story that goes for the same tone: Carnivorous Muffin's God of the Machine.

Edit: I just finished reading the last few chapters. Damn did that get interesting. I was flip-flopping between liking the story and not and it's definitely landed in liking. It actually gets better and better the deeper in it gets, playing fairly well with the concepts of death, power and mortality. I'm impressed.

YOU MUST BUILD IN BLUE

"Stop strapping everything that moves to the altar table already!"
STEAM PROFILE

Last edited by Palindrome; 03-31-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 03-31-2017, 02:47 PM   #1028
Red
Groundskeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odran View Post
What a pile of shit this is.

Seriously, why would you recommend something like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palindrome View Post
Been reading this and not yet all the way through - it's kind of half good. There's times it's pretty interesting and times it's pretty shit, and the tone bounces between absurd and poignant. Didn't realise it was slash until the hand-holding started (whoops), and the slash part is just weird but not too in-your-face thankfully.

It's sort of enjoyable. It reminds me of another story that goes for the same tone: Carnivorous Muffin's God of the Machine.

Edit: I just finished reading the last few chapters. Damn did that get interesting. I was flip-flopping between liking the story and not and it's definitely landed in liking. It actually gets better and better the deeper in it gets, playing fairly well with the concepts of death, power and mortality. I'm impressed.
Yeah, you nailed it. I kind of debated whether to even recc it, because it really fluctuates from below average to poignant to plain odd. But it did seem to get better in the five chapters as Harry (and the Author) found their stride.

Fair warning, to others there is some Slash in the form of (gasps) hand-holding, but I really chalked that up to Light playing mind games and I feel like it fits with his character.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:58 PM   #1029
Lesath
Second Year

Stinging Nettles by FrostedDusk
Petunia had always hated gardening, despite her love for flowers. And so Harry Potter, from a very young age, was sent out to the gardens to work. But when his hands brush against a stinging nettle, everything changes. Now a Harry with a bit of a different goal in mind is sent to Hogwarts, armed with a bit more knowledge. Updated every Monday at the least.
Rated: Fiction T - English - Adventure - Harry P. - Chapters: 21 - Words: 70,072 - Reviews: 276 - Favs: 337 - Follows: 574 - Updated: Apr 21 - Published: Mar 8 - id: 12395795

It's a pleasant read and the idea of Harry's disorder - obsession with all sort of poisons - seems new to me and is well introduced. Characters (also OCs) are likeable. Generally, I'd say it's quite good. Unfortunately, Harry's first year isn't very entertaining to this point so I'm afraid that interesting beginning may be the best that story have to offer.
Beginning, well, these are a few chapters so I think it's worth mentioning.
Lesath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:36 AM   #1030
Thaumologist
Minister for Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesath View Post
Stinging Nettles by FrostedDusk
It's not terrible, and I certainly enjoyed reading it.

Harry quickly befriends Neville and Padma, who can tell him everything he needs to know, or point him at someone else who can. Ron is mocked for being stupid and grasping at fame. Slytherins are sneaky, hide secrets, and put Slytherin first.

The biggest problem is the venenamania.

I tried googling it, and the only results were the story, and some Italian research papers where it appears as two separate words.

It's a mental condition that makes people love poisons. Okay, I can accept that, it's like pyromania.
But also obsess over owning other things too, like people, pets, and personal items... Stretching it a little, but for the sake of the story, I can deal.
And you can diagnose it at age 3, when the child starts stealing drugs from the doctor during a consultation. And there's a worldwide conspiracy of these people to ship these poisonous plants, animals, or just the substance, across continents...

Oh, and the condition is known well enough that a primary school librarian knows about it.

I just don't know whether making it a "recognised" medical condition, and having such a large group of people with the same condition all working together is really going to add much to the story. Every time it comes up, I just feel it's weird, and doesn't make sense.

Apart from that, the story's not bad. Americanisms slip in now and then, which isn't a major problem, but the spelling and grammar seem okay. The plot doesn't appear to be moving forward overly much, but I'm sure it'll get somewhere eventually.

Maybe give it a try, but it's nothing brilliant.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:29 AM   #1031
The Iron Rose
Order Member

I was also getting some real bad pedophilia vibes from the fellow "venemaniac" James who became Harry's legal magical guardian in chapter, like, 5.

I mean I'm sure that's not where it's going, but still creepy as all hell. Couldn't even make it to Hogwarts.

Really the whole venemaniac thing and associated "plotlines" are just stupid as hell. And honestly, that's what it boils down to. It's stupid as all hell, and your tolerance for this story will hinge on your tolerance for stupid ass unnecessary plotlines.
The Iron Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 06-08-2017, 12:20 PM   #1032
Hero of Stupidity
Groundskeeper
Villain of Sensibility

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Wind Shear
Quote:
A sharp and sudden change that can have devastating effects. When a Harry Potter that didn't follow the path of the Epilogue finds himself suddenly thrown into 1970, he settles into a muggle pub to enjoy a nice drink and figure out what he should do with the situation. Naturally, things don't work out the way he intended.
Rated: Fiction M - English - Adventure - Harry P., Bellatrix L., Charlus P. - Chapters: 5 - Words: 35,811 - Reviews: 302 - Favs: 947 - Follows: 1,398 - Updated: 1h ago - Published: Jun 1 - id: 12511998
Well written, over the top stuff, but the fights are cool.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #1033
ScottPress
Chief Warlock
The Horny Sovereign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero of Stupidity View Post
Wind Shear

Well written, over the top stuff, but the fights are cool.
It's in the Review Board.
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^
ScottPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #1034
Hero of Stupidity
Groundskeeper
Villain of Sensibility

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPress View Post
It's in the Review Board.