Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Dark Arts
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 01-11-2017, 06:07 AM   #21
Dagro
First Year

Great start into the day when I saw this updated, reread some chapters and reaffirmed to myself this has one of my favorite OC's in fanfiction. Normally filtering them out via scryer for example is the first thing I do.

Golden moment for example how he couldn't believe who Harry really was, since nobody would ever stash anything important with muggles! And this is the first time I see where Dumbledores genius with putting Harry to the Dursleys shines a little through. Petri seems honestly confused, Albus played him without really trying to.

Also suddenly there is some kind of backstory hinted for Rosenkol, apparently he didn't take Petri seriously when they first met either and surely Petri didn't go out of his way to teach a house-elf magic.

Last edited by Dagro; 01-11-2017 at 06:21 AM.
Dagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:31 AM   #22
CheddarTrek
Set Phasers to Melt

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Okay, so... yeah, this is great. BUT I agree with those who said that there's not really enough here to rate. It's a great start to a story but I feel like we're still setting things up, which is fine, but until we actually run into something to drive a plot I'm hesitant to jump fully on board.

That said the writing quality so far indicates this will manage at least a 4/5, and maybe more if the plot gets off the ground and goes somewhere interesting.

My favorite aspect of this story, the part that got me to check out the other things by this author... is that they write Harry in a way that I love to see but rarely find.

He's a clever little shit, and I love it. It reminds me of early canon when Harry would mouth off to Snape or make an intuitive leap about something or other. I was hooked on this story from that first meeting in the park when Harry had no idea what a mudblood was, or if he might be one, but he knew that the creepy dude hanging out in a children's play park thought it was bad so he just went with a flat out "nope."

Hermione might be brilliant in canon, but that sort of intuition and cleverness is what makes Harry different. It crops up elsewhere in the story too, with Harry not caring so much about information as the fact that he has it and can do whatever it is he needs to do. It's how Harry recognizes when he is supposed to already know what something is, so he plays along until he figures it out.

It's a great characterization for Harry, I think. And the OC is interesting too. He's an evil necromancer, as Harry notes on several occasions, but he seems to take the Master/Apprentice thing seriously and genuinely attempts to teach Harry things. He's an asshole but didn't seem to take things "too far" with Harry in general, at least until the whole BWL bit came out and he flipped his shit.

So yeah. I stand by what I said about this being too early to rate. But it's 4/5 material with potential to go up to 5/5. I'm tempted to give it a 3/5 because there's not really enough story yet, but that's not the story's fault.
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.
~Jean-Luc Picard

CheddarTrek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #23
Johnnyseattle
High Inquisitor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I feel like I should point this out, this is at the top of the author's bio:

Quote:
Status Check [17.11.16]

Not really writing fanfiction much anymore, but I do occasionally work on existing stories. Will probably eventually update.

I quite like this as well, but not getting my hopes up it will go much of anywhere. Love to be proven wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don E. Delivery View Post
Neither noticed Neville Longbottom watching them and masturbating furiously.
Johnnyseattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:21 PM   #24
robin000
Squib

I've read a few of the comments above. People seem to like it. The originality of the magic especially. I always love a story which attempts to delve into the magic system. Would you guys recommend giving it a whirl despite the likelihood of it getting abandoned?
robin000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:52 AM   #25
MonkeyEpoxy
Alchemist

This has updated a handful of times since the last post, and well, I adore it. The author is showing magic that I've never read before in fanfiction and it's just a fuckin fun trek. No spoilers, but give it a read if you stopped following it. It's an easy 4, even if it's following trends that show it will never get finished - we're not even really to Hogwarts, or I suppose, Durmstrang age, yet.

A downside, it appears to follow "intent based" magic.

I am also interested to see if the blood purity thing has any basis in reality in Blood Crest canon or if it's just Master Petri. It also has such an fun rendition of the value of phoenix feathers.

Last edited by MonkeyEpoxy; 06-28-2017 at 02:47 AM.
MonkeyEpoxy is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 07-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #26
MonkeyEpoxy
Alchemist

The latest chapter has a nice trope turned on its head. Vampires and other dark creatures fleeing from mainland Europe where they are not allowed wands anymore - the various Ministries were tightening regulations - to Britain, where if they identify themselves as "half-human," nobody either cares or can tell a difference.

Tags
author:cauchy, dark arts, horcrux, master of death, necromancy