Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > FanFiction Extras > FanFic Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 03-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #1481
Majube
Slug Club Member

I think I've seen this in a fic before (Cup), but I've always thought that horcruxes could also work like poison or venom, respectively. ex. drinking out of the cup regularly might slowly drain your soul.

And also having a pet snake and it biting could transfer it too.
In fact, from the books only the diary experience with Horcruxes seems like a normal horcrux.

I think a typical horcrux would be slowly tempting the victim to pour more and more of themselves into the horcrux until they're strong enough to just grab the soul drain them.

In any normal circumstances, the horcruxes wouldn't need to be practical. He had seven of them. Seven versions of a powerful, charismatic, and manipulative dark wizard.He made them all before he ever heard of the prophecy and after he kept Nagini beside him at all times as his backup plan.

Last edited by Majube; 03-10-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Majube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:06 AM   #1482
CheddarTrek
Set Phasers to Melt

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goten Askil View Post
I don't know about you, but I always use the same glass at home, at every meal, every day.
Not remotely, if I'm honest, lol.

Quote:
I do think you're mistaken when you say Voldemort would have been revived in his own body at the end of COS. The way the Horcrux looked like young Tom and the way Voldemort didn't even talk about it in GOF makes me think it would "only" have been the Horcrux being given consistence, not the Master Soul having a body back.
Not what I meant. He wouldn't get his older body back, but it seemed to me like he was going to get a body back of his 16 year old self. A body which could then go and revive his main soul fragment.

Quote:
Why do a lot of people think Voldemort needs to have a Horcrux on hand (and even sometimes to destroy/consume it) to get his body back? He didn't have any with him in GOF, so it's perfectly fine to keep them hidden away forever, that doesn't prevent him from being revived if he is somehow "killed".
I don't think this, and never meant to imply that I did.

What I meant is that if you skip ahead 500 years into the future, and anyone (like Pettigrew) who might want to help him revive is long gone... having something like a copy of your 16 year old self wandering around to revive you would be damned useful.
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.
~Jean-Luc Picard

CheddarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:10 AM   #1483
Meerkats
Professor

I don't know if it's just me but I never thought about the horcruxes in that way.

Both the ring and the locket were hidden in relatively unknown places that were hard to stumble upon and were heavily guarded, so it never seemed like their main purpose was to corrupt their wearer into bringing Voldemort back. If he had his way no-one would have found them anyway. And then there's the fact that he gave the diary and the cup for safe keeping to his most trusted death eaters.

I think the idea was that after Voldemort died, then his death eaters had a way of bringing him back.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #1484
wordhammer
Chief Warlock

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkats View Post
I don't know if it's just me but I never thought about the horcruxes in that way.

Both the ring and the locket were hidden in relatively unknown places that were hard to stumble upon and were heavily guarded, so it never seemed like their main purpose was to corrupt their wearer into bringing Voldemort back. If he had his way no-one would have found them anyway. And then there's the fact that he gave the diary and the cup for safe keeping to his most trusted death eaters.

I think the idea was that after Voldemort died, then his death eaters had a way of bringing him back.
We're not shown how the ring was defended, only that Voldemort went looking under the floorboards when he rushed to check up on it. In the case of the locket, it was placed in a cave surrounded by Inferi. If Voldemort had 'respawned' there, he might have been able to possess one without interference from a native intelligence. I have a number of theories related to his use of horcruxes, but the one thing I can mention that relates solely to canon is this: twice his spirit was drawn back to Albania when it lost its tether. The next horcrux he made was a snake. Seems like he was trying to solve a recurring problem.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #1485
Meerkats
Professor

I don't have the books on hand so I can't double-check, but didn't the ring have a curse on it that would kill its wearer?
Old 03-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #1486
Shinysavage
Order Member
Madman With A Box

High Score: 2,296
Quote:
Unlikely, given that Lucius used the diary as a weapon - he wouldn't have done so had he known it was a piece of Voldemort's soul. Bellatrix, possibly, might have been entrusted with the knowledge, although Dumbledore does make a point of mentioning Voldemort's preference to work alone. Personally, I'd say that the sole function of Horcruxes is to keep Voldemort from truly dying - anything else is just a useful bonus.

Quote:
I don't have the books on hand so I can't double-check, but didn't the ring have a curse on it that would kill its wearer?
Yes.