Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Real Life Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 07-17-2017, 06:09 AM   #4181
Andrela
Dark!Andrela
Plot Bunny

DLP Supporter Donor Star
TOMD: The book I ordered arrived today. Gonna start reading it soon, it's gonna be great.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:38 PM   #4182
Miner
Seventh Year

TOMD: Dislocated someone's elbow during basketball. Wanted to help him out and see if he was okay, but I was really not sure how to communicate all that and it wasn't helped by the fact that he was rushed off to the hospital by his friend.

Should be a simple, if painful, fix though, right?
I'm an Adult. I blame Drome <---- I see this.
Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #4183
Johnnyseattle
High Inquisitor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miner View Post
TOMD: Dislocated someone's elbow during basketball. Wanted to help him out and see if he was okay, but I was really not sure how to communicate all that and it wasn't helped by the fact that he was rushed off to the hospital by his friend.

Well, sometimes you can dislocate things and it's just a matter of popping it back in and you're good. Unfortunately, a lot of times a dislocation is accompanied by the tendons/ligaments that hold it together hyperextending or tearing in the process. I've never dislocated my elbow, so I can't speak to the likelihood of that in particular, but shoulders at least are about a 50/50 chance you're fucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don E. Delivery View Post
Neither noticed Neville Longbottom watching them and masturbating furiously.
Johnnyseattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:11 PM   #4184
vlad
Seventh Year

High Score: 2000
Just bought Stellaris because I have finally exhausted myself on CK2 and EU3.

Goodbye, free time.

vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 07-17-2017, 03:26 PM   #4185
Palindrome
Magma Moderator

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via Skype™ to Palindrome
Quote:

Get a small box of chocolates or some sweets and give it to him next time you see him. Snacks can go a long way to smooth hard feelings.

YOU MUST BUILD IN BLUE

"Stop strapping everything that moves to the altar table already!"
STEAM PROFILE
Palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 07-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #4186
Seyllian
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad View Post
Just bought Stellaris because I have finally exhausted myself on CK2 and EU3.

Goodbye, free time.
He lives. Praise the lord.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #4187
TheWiseTomato
Prisoner
Tactical Tomato

DLP Supporter Donor Star
First day (orientation day) of uni. Rocked up to the starting lecture covered in sweat after riding in because my car is in Canada. Things can only improve from here. @Oz why the hell do you do this bicycle thing for fun??

Have Australian citizenship, will sham marriage for $$$.

"Come and fight you whoresons! I am Druss and this is Death!"

I'm on Steam.
TheWiseTomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #4188
silentclock
Headmaster

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:

He probably gets it, as long as it wasn't a dirty play. I play basketball with my college buds pretty much every weekend. Collectively we're of middling to above-average ability, and we tend to play pretty hard/rough. But it's generally pretty clean and we try to make sure nobody gets too hurt. That said, you can pretty much count on getting banged up. It happens about every week. Whenever somebody gets hurt in a more serious way, they're generally understanding.

I guess it depends on the group/how close you are. And also how it happened. Most of the time, basketball injuries have a pretty innocent cause.
silentclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:40 PM   #4189
Miner
Seventh Year

See, I would do all of that, except over in China you literally just bring a ball to a nearby court and there's usually like thirty strangers there and you just play.

And I'd really want to do something nice for him, by way of an apology, but I'm pretty sure I'm never going to see him again.

Oh well, I'll probably go back next week with something nice in a backpack or something just in case he shows up again.

And I'm not really sure if the play could be classified as dirty. I probably would've drawn a blocking foul. But I didn't like stick out a leg to trip him or anything.
I'm an Adult. I blame Drome <---- I see this.
Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 07-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #4190
Anarchy
Prisoner

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I got 0 hours of sleep last night, even with a sleeping aid. Not sure why, but it pisses me off. I had only gotten 5.5 hours of sleep the night before, so I was really tired.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #4191
Oz
Migos Enthusiast

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to Oz
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseTomato View Post
First day (orientation day) of uni. Rocked up to the starting lecture covered in sweat after riding in because my car is in Canada. Things can only improve from here. @Oz why the hell do you do this bicycle thing for fun??
Work having a shower helps!

<chatter> prophet muhammad peace be upon him was sent to destroy the musical instruments
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #4192
Jarizok
Fourth Year

Quote:
See, I would do all of that, except over in China you literally just bring a ball to a nearby court and there's usually like thirty strangers there and you just play.

And I'd really want to do something nice for him, by way of an apology, but I'm pretty sure I'm never going to see him again.

Oh well, I'll probably go back next week with something nice in a backpack or something just in case he shows up again.

And I'm not really sure if the play could be classified as dirty. I probably would've drawn a blocking foul. But I didn't like stick out a leg to trip him or anything.
Miner lock scum.

In other news, I bought myself a guitar today.

I don't know how to play the guitar, but I figured owning one was as good a place as any to start learning.
Jarizok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #4193
Oz
Migos Enthusiast

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarizok View Post
Miner lock scum.

In other news, I bought myself a guitar today.

I don't know how to play the guitar, but I figured owning one was as good a place as any to start learning.
https://www.justinguitar.com/

Last I checked his lessons are free, and decent enough to get started.

Remember: Eddie ate dynamite; good bye, Eddie!

<chatter> prophet muhammad peace be upon him was sent to destroy the musical instruments
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 07-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #4194
Jarizok
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
https://www.justinguitar.com/

Last I checked his lessons are free, and decent enough to get started.

Remember: Eddie ate dynamite; good bye, Eddie!
That's what the guy at the shop said as well, and I did remember. Yay me! Thanks for the tip, I'll go check it out.
Jarizok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:27 PM   #4195
Wildfeather
Seventh Year

High Score: 2,011
Send a message via AIM to Wildfeather Send a message via MSN to Wildfeather Send a message via Yahoo to Wildfeather Send a message via Skype™ to Wildfeather
I did my FAFSA yesterday. For those of you who don't know, that's the information portal for the FEDERAL government to decide how much money your Pell Grant is worth this year, and how many subsidized (and unsubsidized) loans you're eligible for. Between my wife and myself for the relevant year they were asking about, we made ~31k between the two of us, before taxes. My expected contribution to my education this year is approximately 3.5k, and the feds will cough up the other 2k.

I know we made slightly more money than that in recent years, but I find it hilarious that someone, somewhere, wrote out a formula that when I put with "total income for 2 people: 31k" said "these two people can live on that, and should have saved 3.5k of it to pay for school."

Its okay though because to stave off the impending stress related decision of deciding to take out loans, or just OT go to school until I can get a better job, I decided to look at the poverty line according to the feds (which was 16k) so my wife and I, together made about double that.

And here I thought two people working making 31k wasn't that great, but I suppose comparatively we aren't doing that poorly.

I just have a bitter taste in my mouth because I don't have a lot of expendable income, or savings since we just bought a (small) house in an okay neighborhood so now we are house poor.

I know we have made more money in more recent years (I think this year we will gross 40k or so...) so it's not like we are actually stuck with that amount for income. I just can't imagine how someone would live, and feed 2 people on $16k. We have pretty tight belts ourselves at about 40k (and buying a house was cheaper than renting).

Of course the worst part for me is, if I'd buckled down and really went trying to get a law enforcement job instead of following my intellectual passion, I could literally double our income by getting a job as a deputy around here. Entry level for LEO around here (as a trainee) is 40k.

Wildfeather is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 07-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #4196
BTT
Unspeakable

TOMD: lifeguarding like every summer. Today was hot as fuck, which was predicted. It was also dry as fuck, which wasn't. Weather report said it'd storm today with 64% chance for rain, not a single fucking drop. Barely even any clouds.

Tomorrow'll probably be another 8-hour shift.
BTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:53 PM   #4197
Eilyfe
Order Member

Exams tomorrow. Finished studying early today, then busted out 2,6k words in a tasty one shot you can peruse at your leisure in the WbA.

My breath also stinks of sausage.

Good night, DLP.
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many, they are few."

Eilyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:13 PM   #4198
Oz
Migos Enthusiast

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilyfe View Post
My breath also stinks of sausage.
So are we just not doing the "Know how I know you're gay?" thing any more or what?

Old 07-18-2017, 06:17 PM   #4199
Riley
Alchemist

DLP Supporter Donor Star
TOMD: Finally got my own battlestation. That is to say, I've upgraded to a desktop finally. Kind of stoked.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #4200
Seyllian
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley View Post
TOMD: Finally got my own battlestation. That is to say, I've upgraded to a desktop finally. Kind of stoked.
Welcome to ascension, brother.