Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  

Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Almost Recommended
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donor Bar
PatronusCharm Banner

Old 04-18-2017, 11:17 AM   #241
sairafius
Squib

Is it me or is this story going off the rails a bit ? I mean there are plots and subplots that in my opinion just aren't getting resolved satisfactorily.
sairafius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #242
Darthlawyer
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairafius View Post
Is it me or is this story going off the rails a bit ? I mean there are plots and subplots that in my opinion just aren't getting resolved satisfactorily.
Agreed this whole prelude thing is dragging the story. I don't think this will really have any bearing on the story later on.
Darthlawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:44 PM   #243
The Dark Lord
Squib

While it has taken him far longer than expected to even start third year I have found that he maintains quality. Each chapter is full of detail and I hope once at hogwarts updates will come at more regular times.
The Dark Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:31 AM   #244
Dicra
Seventh Year

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1119123...e-of-Slytherin

It seems we maybe have a chance at getting a regular schedule from now on.
The chapter starts with an almighty info dump that certainly somehow could have been implemented a bit more elegantly than that. It's nevertheless interesting and pretty well thought-out.

Also, that guy really has issues with making his supposedly terrifying inner voices sound like computers "code recognized:meaning interpreted:i/we shall obey" doesn't look like a threat. It looks like friggin' Windows (which you could argue to be a threat as well, but ... yeah).

Apart from that, I liked the concept of going through with the action and skipping back in time to explain it in convenient places, made the chapter a lot more captivating.

One of the better chapters of the Death Eater Menace, I'd say. And one of his better chapters in general. ^^

Nothing to write home about, but if you aren't bothered by it being German and the first two chapters being quite unrealistic, it might be something for you.
Dicra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:41 PM   #245
CheddarTrek
Set Phasers to Melt

DLP Supporter Donor Star
The start of this most recent chapter is a perfect example of why I keep reading this fic despite the (numerous) overdone cliches that make their way into it.

That 'origin' story for Azkaban is the type of world building that brings me back every time.
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.
~Jean-Luc Picard

CheddarTrek is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #246
99redbloons
Squib

I noticed that he'd edited the dementors 'voice' later to make it less like a computer. Also I'm interested to see how the author plans to deal with the Lestranges because I think that it's very unlikely that they'll stay in the Longborough dungeon for the rest of the year.
99redbloons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:53 PM   #247
tomthumb
Squib

This is one of the better Potter twin stories I've read. I have been really interested in how the peter storyline progresses, it's certainly a different portrayal of him I always hated the idea of someone living as a rat for a decade.
tomthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #248
Nevermind
Squib

New Update! Recent Ministry History & Politics

The newest chapter is rather heavy on exposition – and when I say "rather heavy," that is probably the understatement of the year.

However, as usual, the author manages to keep things interesting. I particularly liked the description of wizarding society as being "post-scarcity" and the details of Fudge's sudden rise to power. It is also noteworthy that apparently, the minister is appointed by popular vote, and not by the Wizengamot. A somewhat surprising detail for me, especially when compared to the rather incestual power relations laid out in the rest of the chapter.

The interaction between Harry, Justin and Draco (or 'Drake,' *shudder*) was good fun and informative as well.

All in all, a good update. The information could have been spread out a bit more smoothly over the course of the chapter – I entertained the thought of taking a small break after the huge scene with Podmore – but I stuck with it. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how the second part of the chapter plays out.
Nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:46 PM   #249
Dicra
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermind View Post
The newest chapter is rather heavy on exposition – and when I say "rather heavy," that is probably the understatement of the year.
The two sentences that sum this chapter up:
"Obviously, I slept through History of Magic on the day that Binns actually explained how our government works. Why does ... ?"

This chapter was an above-average history lesson, but history lessons don't exactly equal thrillers. I agree with you that the back story is fascinating (and the ridiculous name "Malfoy" being the result of a curse is a pretty amusing idea), but it could use being written into the story when it actually matters.

Nothing to write home about, but if you aren't bothered by it being German and the first two chapters being quite unrealistic, it might be something for you.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #250
T3hPf1r3
Squib

I'll admit I'm a sucker for world building, especially internally consistent world building, and so I didn't really have many issues with this chapter. As long as stuff actually happens in the next chapter I'm ok. It's not ideal but I'm okay with it.

That said, I kinda wish something had happened during this chapter.
T3hPf1r3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #251
ScottPress
Minister for Magic
The Horny Sovereign

Author ran out of steam for the actual plot, so they're dumping truckloads of worldbuilding instead. Heading towards abandonment.

/tinfoil
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^
ScottPress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #252
Probellum
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPress View Post
Author ran out of steam for the actual plot, so they're dumping truckloads of worldbuilding instead. Heading towards abandonment.

/tinfoil
Having talked with the author at length about some problems I had with the fic, I feel like I can say the guy hasn't lost any of his enthusiasm. Several of his comments also assure me has things plotted out at least vaguely. I know some of his plans had to be changed as he wrote Second Year, as they just didn't fit.

That said, yeah, this chapter was definitely a 'Not much happens, but here's some world building' chapter. From what I've been told, though, the Summers are usually drawn out in terms of how long chapters take, but once the term starts, the guy usually updates frequently. So, hoping Summer is almost over.
Quote:
"No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away." - Terry Pratchett
Probellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #253
Dicra
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probellum View Post
Having talked with the author at length about some problems I had with the fic, I feel like I can say the guy hasn't lost any of his enthusiasm. Several of his comments also assure me has things plotted out at least vaguely. I know some of his plans had to be changed as he wrote Second Year, as they just didn't fit.

That said, yeah, this chapter was definitely a 'Not much happens, but here's some world building' chapter. From what I've been told, though, the Summers are usually drawn out in terms of how long chapters take, but once the term starts, the guy usually updates frequently. So, hoping Summer is almost over.
Could you post this conversations here? Would surely be an interesting read.

Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #254
Probellum
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicra View Post
Could you post this conversations here? Would surely be an interesting read.
I'm a bit reluctant, as a couple lines are about the future of the fic, and seeing as I was told in a PM....eh, I'd rather not post stuff, when I don't know if the author actually wants such things known? It's not stuff that seems all that sensitive, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.
Quote:
"No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away." - Terry Pratchett
Probellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:54 AM   #255
cecilia1991
Squib

That is just my opinion

I think everyone has their opinion of how this story is but I love it there are many new aspects if you look good in the plot and if it is a bit cliche but not the type that reading the first chapter and you are bored but want to know The whole story, at least me if I give this story a 9/10.
cecilia1991 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, alternate universe, author: the sinister man