Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > FanFiction Extras > Other Fandoms > Story Search
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 05-09-2017, 04:01 PM   #2421
Cxjenious
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos View Post
Anyone has recommendations from SB, SV, Altered History, or knows how to search there in simple way ?
Nope. There is nothing of worth on SB/SV, and I'm not such a masochist that I would search through AH's forums.

Cxjenious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:01 PM   #2422
Invictus
Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cxjenious View Post
Nope. There is nothing of worth on SB/SV, and I'm not such a masochist that I would search through AH's forums.
I wanted to disagree just to keep going with this pseudo maybe one sided insult stuff. But CX is right. All of these are filled with either shit or unfinished things that never got anywhere.

Knees deep and The King Nobody Wanted are the exceptions that prove the rule. And even KNW never went anywhere and Knees is in FF now.
Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 05-09-2017, 08:41 PM   #2423
Donimo
Fourth Year

Quote:
Anyone has recommendations from SB, SV, Altered History, or knows how to search there in simple way ?
As others said mostly shit, and mostly unfinished shit at that. I'll link some fics I like though.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/for...e-lost.391053/

Neds kids(and Jon) are born as Numenoreans. Abandoned, but interesting.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/for...iaf-au.391394/

Groundhog Day style timeloop every time Joffrey dies. Has some significant problems but an enjoyable read. Still updating.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/for...ion-ii.379805/

Joffrey gets a personality transplant to the benefit of Planetos. A very fun read, sadly abandoned.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/for...n-tale.407315/

A self-insert of a different kind. Instead of being a modern person in Westeros its an incredibly savage Skagosson with some sort of memories of a modern person. Still updating.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/for...8/?prefix_id=9

That link is to the asoiaf tagged threads if you want to wade through the shit.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/thre...iaf-si.501130/

This is Serpentguy's(The author of Dragons of Ice and Fire) second fic. It's amusing, not up to the standard of his other fic.
Donimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:43 AM   #2424
Methos
Third Year

I remember Hash posted fics (SI as Rose Boolton) and it wasn't on ff.net
Where was it?
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:32 AM   #2425
Erandil
Headmaster

Quote:
I remember Hash posted fics (SI as Rose Boolton) and it wasn't on ff.net
Where was it?
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.co...omplete.14044/
Old 05-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #2426
Seratin
Headmaster
Proudmander

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Has anyone read anything featuring the badass Lyanna Mormont from the show?

The Indigo Road
A Pokemon quest
Seratin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:37 AM   #2427
Hush
Third Year

Okay, so I just finished reading A Knight's Watch by DolorousEdditor. I thought it was pretty dope and worth bringing some attention to and since no one else seemingly has I guess I'll do it. (No one has linked it, as far as a cursory search goes)

Link here: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1164010...Knight-s-Watch

It's summary:

Jon Snow is forbidden to take the black by his father. Instead he sent to squire for a famous knight, beginning a long arduous journey that causes him to cross paths which characters he never would have. Along the way he learns truths long hidden and discovers love in the most unlikely of places. All of this in the shadow of the War of Five Kings and the coming of the Others.

The author does a great job capturing the spirit of ASoIaF, no victory without great cost aka people still die. And contrary to what you might think Jon is fairly ineffective until he really comes into his own as a man grown. Also he gets brutalised, often. They also seem to have a good handle on the politics of the lords as well as the battles. I've really enjoyed the unravelling of many of the various theories that haven't seen the light of day in the books.

It's got clean enough writing, no immersion breaking mistakes. At least not when you consider it's nearly 700,000 words long. And I realise that the summary has a few... but I didn't think it reflected the piece as a whole, but that could've been due to my quick reading of it. It has quite the rapid pace, hence the timespan vs word count, due to it's focus on Jon, and then only branching when we meet the other Starks.

Does a good job of capturing various character voices, and yes that means that Jon can become a little angsty. But it doesn't usually last long and considering the contexts, it seems justifiable, when considering the shit he gets piled on him...

I thought it's a good example of what ASoIaF fanfiction can be. Hope to hear someone else's thoughts on it, happy reading.
Hush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #2428
KGB
Unspeakable

That's been recced before. General opinion was that it's an angst fest sprinkled with the general failure that is Jon/Sansa
KGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 4 thumbs up
Old 05-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #2429
Hush
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
That's been recced before. General opinion was that it's an angst fest sprinkled with the general failure that is Jon/Sansa
Lol. That's always amusing when that happens. I've been a little forlorn without my yearly dose of GoT, and was looking for love in all the wrong places I guess...
Hush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:58 AM   #2430
In Cognito
Squib

A Knight's Watch spawned my loathing of Jon/Sansa and their shipping fandom. Before, I was merely neutral. Edd is a decent writer, who I think is often overpraised for a few reasons, but that fic exaggerates all the worst tropes of Jonsa. Jon's angst and poor self esteem is off the charts, and the author is yet another guy who idolizes Sansa and will twist any contrivance to give her a crown and make her a perfect political skills. This fic actually pissed me off at several points.

I think it ties with "Ties of Blood and Fire" for the most aggravating portrayal of Sansa, honestly.

Last edited by In Cognito; 05-17-2017 at 12:20 PM.
In Cognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:36 AM   #2431
Odran
Heir

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Cognito View Post
I think it ties with "Ties of Blood and Fire" for the most aggravating portrayal of Sansa, honestly.
What was that one about? It sounds familiar, but I think there's a couple of ASOIAF fanfics with "Ties" in their title.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:04 AM   #2432
Longsword
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odran View Post
What was that one about? It sounds familiar, but I think there's a couple of ASOIAF fanfics with "Ties" in their title.
The one that has a dead Daenerys, an unhinged Aegon, a lucid Robert Arryn, an incoherent, paranoid Sansa and a dragon-rider Jon .
It has Sansa doing all sorts of things that did not make sense, just for the angst. It was written by BlueCichild.
Longsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 05-17-2017, 07:45 AM   #2433
Seratin
Headmaster
Proudmander

DLP Supporter Donor Star
This isn't a rec, more a general observation. For the last month I've been combing through fics trying to find something halfway decent in the fandom and I've noticed it's a minefield.

You see a fic with an interesting summary and a nice title, "Flight of the Crows" or something equally flowery and it's utter rubbish.

The more flowery the title the more rubbish the story. Now, I know this isn't news to anyone here and the same could be said of the HP fandom but usually with Harry Potter you can tell a great deal from the summary.

In Asoiaf summaries can be deceptive as fuck.

The Indigo Road
A Pokemon quest
Seratin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:16 AM   #2434
Dagro
First Year

Generally without Scryer I wouldn't be able to browse through that shit.
I filter via summary(for example: -Jonsan -Sansan -sansor -modern -western -college -highschool -Selfinsert -/SI -OC), excluded genres (-western, angst, hurt/comfort, parody etc.), excluded characters (OC), wordcount (>5k) and sort via update date.

Probably forgot some tags, but this will normally make it atleast browseable without permanent braindamage. Btw the GoT search gets way way worse.

Tags
a song of ice and fire