Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Real Life Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 05-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #1481
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Don't forget tying it up in lawsuits.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

And from that turmoil, power. The power to bend the universe to my will.

- Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:06 PM   #1482
ScottPress
Minister for Magic
The Horny Sovereign

High Score: 1,826
The amount of people I've seen on Reddit today who either didn't understand what net neutrality safeguarded against and what are the possible consequences and "free market is best, fuck regulations" is astounding. I saw expressed trust that ISPs won't engage in fuckery and "well, I never saw it happen, duh". Yeah buddy, the reason you've never seen it is that it wasn't allowed. I tried to keep an open mind, but let's not charm ourselves, some issues are black and white.
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^
ScottPress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #1483
MonkeyEpoxy
Alchemist

Yep. It's not over from a very basic definition, but too many superpowerful corporations want it to end and are willing to do almost anything to have it end. Their donations to the FCC and other avenues are worth more than our righteous rage after all. That most people don't really know or care about NN is just the diarrhea icing on the shit cake.

Last edited by MonkeyEpoxy; 05-19-2017 at 08:01 PM.
MonkeyEpoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #1484
Nazgus
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
There's a possible decent one which is a Bloomberg-lite guy called Joăo Doria, there's UGH Lula, who is the biggest name, there's the crazy military junta-lover and prime opportunist and awful human being in general called Jair Bolsonaro, there's Marina the Wet Rag but not corrupt, and there's Alckmin, Doria's political godfather, but he isn't charismatic and also has corruption problems, if not nearly as bad as the others.

Oh yeah, to my joy, Aecio, the candidate, is also on tape saying that they should kill anyone that delivered the money 'if he could turn informant'.
Bit on the late side but damn, I thought Mexico had issues.

On the net neutrality front, I'm starting to realize why so many people give up on politics. Getting rid of net neutrality seems to be universally reviled by everyone not an ISP, but it doesn't matter at all. Money speaks far louder than we do in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
"Be my friend, motherfucker!" Naruto howled, slamming the rasengan into Gaara's face.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."

-Stephen King
Nazgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #1485
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgus View Post
Bit on the late side but damn, I thought Mexico had issues.

On the net neutrality front, I'm starting to realize why so many people give up on politics. Getting rid of net neutrality seems to be universally reviled by everyone not an ISP, but it doesn't matter at all. Money speaks far louder than we do in this country.
All is not lost. Remember: The courts have yet to have their say, and who among us is not an injured party if this deregulatory effort goes through?

The ultimate solution is, of course, for Congress to pass a law on this issue. If we all, regardless of political stripe, feel so strongly about it, we should shout it from the rooftops until something is done about it.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #1486
Nazgus
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Revan View Post
All is not lost. Remember: The courts have yet to have their say, and who among us is not an injured party if this deregulatory effort goes through?

The ultimate solution is, of course, for Congress to pass a law on this issue. If we all, regardless of political stripe, feel so strongly about it, we should shout it from the rooftops until something is done about it.
I think this is the first issue I feel strongly enough about to look up who my congressmen and senators are and send them emails on it. This is just beyond a terrible idea in all the possible ways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
"Be my friend, motherfucker!" Naruto howled, slamming the rasengan into Gaara's face.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."

-Stephen King
Nazgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:14 AM   #1487
Solfege
Professor

First I'm hearing about the US espionage program in China being significantly crippled between 2010 and 2012, with 18-20 informants executed or imprisoned. Very disturbing. Article came out in the NYTimes today.
Solfege is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:35 AM   #1488
Arthellion
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgus View Post
I think this is the first issue I feel strongly enough about to look up who my congressmen and senators are and send them emails on it. This is just beyond a terrible idea in all the possible ways...
I'm regretfully uniformed on this issue. What is net neutrality and why is getting rid of it a bad thing?
Arthellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:23 AM   #1489
Banta
The Chosen One

DLP Supporter Donor Star
In short, net neutrality requires internet service providers (such as Comcast) to treat all data on the internet the same, no matter the user, platform, application, website, etc. For example, under net neutrality, Comcast cannot favor video streaming from Netflix over Hulu or Amazon for any reason (such as Netflix paying more money); in addition, Comcast cannot lower your connectivity to the internet because you're using a Chrome instead of Firefox, or because you use Google instead of Bing for internet searches.

Wikipedia article on net neutrality; John Oliver segment on net neutrality.
Banta is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-21-2017, 01:49 AM   #1490
Arthellion
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banta View Post
In short, net neutrality requires internet service providers (such as Comcast) to treat all data on the internet the same, no matter the user, platform, application, website, etc. For example, under net neutrality, Comcast cannot favor video streaming from Netflix over Hulu or Amazon for any reason (such as Netflix paying more money); in addition, Comcast cannot lower your connectivity to the internet because you're using a Chrome instead of Firefox, or because you use Google instead of Bing for internet searches.

Wikipedia article on net neutrality; John Oliver segment on net neutrality.
Thanks for the info!

Also...WTF. Who in their right minds is okay with this? I'm a pretty staunch libertarian, but for the free markets to work there has to be some regulation to keep monopolies from forming. Net neutrality does that but for the web.

That's not even considering the end user experience

Heck, what about the political implications? A provider favoring Fox News website over CNN or something.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #1491
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthellion View Post
Thanks for the info!

Also...WTF. Who in their right minds is okay with this? I'm a pretty staunch libertarian, but for the free markets to work there has to be some regulation to keep monopolies from forming. Net neutrality does that but for the web.

That's not even considering the end user experience

Heck, what about the political implications? A provider favoring Fox News website over CNN or something.
This issue is one which pretty clearly shows that conservative politicians are in the tank for its corporate donors. Literally no one wants to roll back net neutrality regulations except ISPs like Comcast (the root of all evil).

Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #1492
Arthellion
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Revan View Post
This issue is one which pretty clearly shows that conservative politicians are in the tank for its corporate donors. Literally no one wants to roll back net neutrality regulations except ISPs like Comcast (the root of all evil).
Well obviously the solution is to make net neutrality essential to the running of big oil. The republican's head's all explode and America into great again.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:54 PM   #1493
Invictus
Alchemist

Naruto Content

Thing is, Google and Facebook and Apple could just flex their muscles and beat down Comcast. But they won't, because they're rich enough so that doesn't matter anymore for them. Hopefully Amazon and Netflix and the like can pushback. Or the gold old massive net campaign like the one against SOPA.

Or you could bully your lawmakers. Brazil has net neutrality assured by law.
Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:31 PM   #1494
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
Thing is, Google and Facebook and Apple could just flex their muscles and beat down Comcast. But they won't, because they're rich enough so that doesn't matter anymore for them. Hopefully Amazon and Netflix and the like can pushback.
Hopefully they can push back, but a couple years ago, the ISPs had them by the balls. Netflix was paying money to not get bandwidth-choked.

Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #1495
Oment
Minister for Magic
The Betrayer

From Twitter:

~R.I.P. Oz's dick, 1990-2016.~
Oment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:45 AM   #1496
Halt
High Inquisitor
1/3 of the Note Bros.

http://www.rappler.com/nation/170744...ty-martial-law

TLDR: Martial Law declared over Mindanao, Philippines.

That's 22 million people, spread across, a little under 105,000 square km of land, the majority of who are Muslims.

Why it happened: The local Islamic terror group (Abu Sayyaf, been around for decades and responsible for multiple kidnappings of foreigners) took over sections of Marawi City and several hostages on the afternoon of May 23.

Halt's Archive Project: Other Fandom Almost Recommended | RWBY Features | Worm Features
Halt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:32 AM   #1497
Invictus
Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halt View Post
http://www.rappler.com/nation/170744...ty-martial-law

TLDR: Martial Law declared over Mindanao, Philippines.

That's 22 million people, spread across, a little under 105,000 square km of land, the majority of who are Muslims.

Why it happened: The local Islamic terror group (Abu Sayyaf, been around for decades and responsible for multiple kidnappings of foreigners) took over sections of Marawi City and several hostages on the afternoon of May 23.
And Duterte is a fantastic example of why you don't elect wannabe action movie tough guys anywhere, specially places with real issues. Without a loyal and extremely corrupt police department to be run his racket scheme and local magnates banking it all, it's one failure after failure.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #1498
CareOtters
Headmaster

DLP Supporter Donor Star
TOMD: Tree bukkake is making me its bitch.

Edit: derp, wrong thread

The Yellow Death - a RWBY fanfiction

Last edited by CareOtters; 05-24-2017 at 12:43 PM.
CareOtters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:04 PM   #1499
Invictus
Alchemist

Greg Allman from the Allman Brothers Band has died. A band that suffered way, way too much. Another tragedy for rock and roll and the end of a legend.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituar...050-story.html
Old 05-27-2017, 09:56 PM   #1500
The Iron Rose
Order Member

As did Zbigniew Brzezinski, who is - was - possibly the most renowned and respected National Security Adviser since Kissinger.
The Iron Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up