Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  

Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Almost Recommended
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donor Bar
PatronusCharm Banner

Old 11-27-2016, 12:13 PM   #1001
Methos
Third Year

Anyone tried Black Magic ?
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10762521/1/Black-Magic

HP/LotR crossover ?
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #1002
Peter North
Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos View Post
Anyone tried Black Magic ?
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10762521/1/Black-Magic

HP/LotR crossover ?
No, but since you put it up on almost recommended why should I read it?
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Peter North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #1003
chaosattractor
Groundskeeper

Yeah, put up the summary at least.
chaosattractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:27 PM   #1004
Methos
Third Year

After rereading the first post
I will make a review thread later.
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:01 PM   #1005
Jocelyn24
Squib

I'm kind of busy- but do yourselves a favor and read Black Luminary by YakAge.
Jocelyn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:48 AM   #1006
CrackedMind
Order Member

I mean, I know you're busy and all- what with you feeling a need to include that as the opener to your post- but you could at least include a summary and a link. It takes a minute tops, especially since you can just copy and paste the information from ffn itself.
Freedom is a word long forgotten, an idea with no following in the world. Deep within the wilds of an undignified wasteland is a boy who dreamed of something bigger. A boy who dreamed of Revolution. AU
Acton's Heir
http://forums.darklordpotter.net/sho...118#post609118
CrackedMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 11-29-2016, 04:51 AM   #1007
Palindrome
Magma Moderator

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via Skype™ to Palindrome
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedMind View Post
I mean, I know you're busy and all- what with you feeling a need to include that as the opener to your post- but you could at least include a summary and a link. It takes a minute tops, especially since you can just copy and paste the information from ffn itself.
This. Post some damn summaries and personal thoughts, guys. No one's going to read your recommendation if you don't.

As a reminder, here's the recommended posting format from the first post in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Minion View Post
Also, lets try to keep things clean and easy to follow, for your fellow citizens of planet DLP. Keep to the following format:
Title: [Example]
Author: [Example]
Pairing: [Someone]/[His Hand] (If applicable.)
Rating: [NC-17] (Go away, kiddies. D: )
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2153630/1/
Story Summary: (If provided on relevant site. If not, please provide one to the best of your ability.

[Insert your comments here. Lets try to give it more sustenance that "LOLOL SO FAIL CHECK IT OUT GUIZES! 8D"]

YOU MUST BUILD IN BLUE

"Stop strapping everything that moves to the altar table already!"
STEAM PROFILE
Palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 11-29-2016, 05:37 AM   #1008
oakes
Auror

DLP Supporter Donor Star
What I don't get is that if you're so busy then don't post anything...
oakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #1009
Tasoli
Headmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner11121 View Post
there are gems in this story that makes this pretty fun like when Harry gets flu;
Quote:
Happy memories surfaced to the forefront of his mind, pushing away all thoughts. His lips formed around a muttered spell, a wave of his wand and his Patronus stood before them seconds later. Small wisps of smoke moving around the antlers as the stag shook his head.

'Oh fuck!' Ding!

The stag greeted him with a silent stomp of its hoof before turning to the blonde. Its head tilted and his eyebrows shot upwards when the stag sniffed at her hair and then... sneezed.

He hadn't known it could do that. Had in fact never considered it a possibility on account of it Technically Not Being Alive. If he hadn't seen it with his own eyes he'd have thought it impossible but he'd definitely seen smoke shoot out of the nostrils which was on a whole new level of What the Fuck?

Great.

Even his damn Patronus was coming down with the flu.

Harry inwardly groaned.

He was so not in the mood for his Patronus doing weird shit.

As if sensing his thoughts, the stag turned and sneezed. Again. On him.

The smokey remnants lingered behind his glasses, blurring his vision before the wisps evaporated.

'Bless you,' chirped in the blonde.

He chose to ignore the damn stag bowing his head in thanks cos yeah, no. Not today.

'Tell Hermione and Luna that the contract is out.'

It didn't soar away like he'd expect it to. No. Rather, the damn thing took it's slow and sweet time. Slow, lazy steps moved it forward. Then the fucking thing stopped short of reaching the far wall, before turning to them and giving him a sad and pathetic look that begged of, Do I have to?

Harry's mouth fell open and when he didn't respond, the stag moved forward and slowly crept through the wall.

D
isney Land Paris
Tasoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #1010
Blundo
First Year

The Red Knight is fun. Not perfect, but fun, and I can forgive a fic a whole lot if it actually portrays Ron as the genuinely good guy with solid intuition and a sense of humor he was in canon.

Part of what makes it fun for me is the feeling that it's about a canon Ron being tossed into a fanfic/fanon universe, and being utterly perplexed by it:

He's confused by Harry being a girl.
He's confused by Molly's behavior because he was raised by canon Molly and this is fanon Molly (horrible shrill harpy, was intentionally trying to find Potter at 9 3/4, only likes Ginny, etc.).
He's confused by Violet and Hermione hating him, which is probably because they only knew horrible fanon Ron.
He's confused by the idea that there are magic contracts for everything, even friendship.

TL;DR: "Ya best start believin' in bad fanon stories, mister canon Ron... yer in one!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantMonkeyMan View Post
Every time Ron says "m'lady" I keep imagining him tipping a fedora. [The Red Knight]'s a good fic, though, and I've been following. Solid 3/5 for me.
Yeah, it wasn't too bad in the early chapters where it was used rarely and seemed sarcastic, but the m'ladying has been growing increasingly constant and awful as time goes on. It's a shame since the way Ron was winding Daphne up and throwing in the occasional innuendo, while written in a clunky and exaggerated fashion, was at least more appealing than the average fanfic romance (which reads like the fantasy of a niceguy fedora-tipping virgin or the female equivalent). The m'ladying is pulling it further and further into that territory.
Blundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:43 PM   #1011
Miner
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasoli View Post
there are gems in this story that makes this pretty fun like when Harry gets flu;
Yeah that story definitely has its funny moments.

It's light and funny for the most part. It I'm enjoying it without trying to overanalyze its faults.

Plus, the cafe scene at the very end of Chapter 4 made me spew my drink all over my friend, so that's a plus.
Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:19 PM   #1012
KGB
Unspeakable

Damn. How had I never read that? It's imaginative, witty, decent from a technical standpoint and manages to make the tired cliche of being kidnapped to resolve a prophecy work.

Must have been all the Ron hate in the fandom...

Gotta start looking through all the other non Harry centric stories for some gems I might have missed.
KGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #1013
ResExtensa
Muggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Damn. How had I never read that? It's imaginative, witty, decent from a technical standpoint and manages to make the tired cliche of being kidnapped to resolve a prophecy work.

Must have been all the Ron hate in the fandom...

Gotta start looking through all the other non Harry centric stories for some gems I might have missed.

This was just bloody briliant. Shame it is abadoned...really would like to know how it ends. I just think that Dubledore is a little bit off. He must know that Ron was put under the incredible pressure and most people would just break.
ResExtensa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:39 PM   #1014
Majube
Seventh Year

Title: Stay Standing
Author: Windschild8178
Pairing: Ron/[His Hand]Hermione
Rating: M
Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7523798/1/Stay-Standing
Story Summary: A magical infection has Ron critically ill, but after the devastation of the war he decides his family and friends don't need to know. How long can he hide it though? And how will the consequences of his actions change the course of the future?

Has this been recc'd here before? I checked the library but well it's an old story though it recently updated and got to the er- it's finally getting to the point.
The summary is kind of misleading it's not an average hurt/comfort fic.
On that note, there was one or two things that irked me like Ron and his interaction with his family and slightly annoying Hermione.

It was well written, and had a lot of creative an unique ideas! I'd say this is one of the best Ron-centric fics I've read lately (Red Knight got me into Ron centric). I feel like the author should've made one of the tags mystery since they've made the plot so intriguing, and they've done a lot of well done flashbacks though I disliked most of the magic they've tweaked.
Overall after it's completed I think it should go into the library since while the beginning was irritating (too much fluff bait~like that's what it implied it was going to turn into but a lot of pointless angst and annoying Weasleys) but by the end I was surprisingly left wanting more.

I think that it could've done with better written fight scenes and less well copying Harry, overall it was a good story an like I said the best part was Ron characterization and thought process (though a bit too much angst) and after it's completed- which hopefully will be soon with an amazing ending to make up for meh beginning- I'll probably make a review thread here unless there has already been one.

Last edited by Majube; 12-09-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Majube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:14 AM   #1015
Invictus
Heir

https://forums.spacebattles.com/thre...apping.477040/
This is a very weird, crackish but interesting story. Nothing really makes a lot of sense here, so it's better just go with the flow. Quite fun, quite funny and with very interesting takes on the characters.

While I feel Harry and Sally-Ann are a bit too much, specially the latter, it's good. I will just say this, Ron is Abomination from the Outerrealms and a nice friend.

Very short and done in small segments instead of a complete rehash, thankfully.

Basic premise is, Harry gets raised by a kinda crazy mercenary witch after a successful robbery, where he's the robbed one.

Edit: Yeah, Sally Ann is definitely the biggest issue with the fic. She's just too much and with little space. Since there's very little actual in developing the scenes and characters, she feels like a forced down intruder, where the author keeps trying to shove her saying "remember her? Your best friend? She's great isn't she? Isnt she?"

Last edited by Invictus; 01-10-2017 at 07:27 AM.
Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:57 AM   #1016
CrackedMind
Order Member

I found a decent time waster: https://m.fanfiction.net/s/9884872/11/
It's called The A La Grenouille (im on my phone, so no accent marks). Basically Harry gets shanghai'd by the French government while he and the Durseleys are on a holiday in France and gets sent to school there. Harry's eight, and the way they set it up isnt so much the French are saving him from the Durseleys as much as them taking advantage of him.

The technical writing is good, but it's biggest problems are that it's slow. Things are happening, the plot is moving forward- but im 11 chapters in, and he hasnt even gotten to Beauxbatons yet. Eight year old Harry is also annoying- but definitely comes off as an eight year old. I just dont want to sit through 100k words of him being a little kid.
Freedom is a word long forgotten, an idea with no following in the world. Deep within the wilds of an undignified wasteland is a boy who dreamed of something bigger. A boy who dreamed of Revolution. AU
Acton's Heir
http://forums.darklordpotter.net/sho...118#post609118
CrackedMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:37 AM   #1017
Majube
Seventh Year

I remember there was a timeskip in there (to GoF), while it definitely could've cut some parts I think a lot of the slow pacing in the beginning was necessary for the world building and politics, Harry being an eight year old made it even more interesting tbh, I had to parse through what he thought and what was actually happening around him.

Also, the French Ministry didn't save him, they totally took advantage and there were lots of not so subtle hints that they pressured the Dursley's. The reactions of the English in year 4 were annoying though
Majube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:52 PM   #1018
Lindsey
Order Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Lindsey
This is a new fic I've found that has the potential to be as good as Shezza's Denarian series.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1228345...ince-of-Thorns
When a young Harry Potter is manipulated into picking up the Coin of a desperate, infamous Fallen Angel, he falls victim to a slow seduction. A conversion by the smallest of steps. And in the end, it is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.

What is different is Harry is tricked into picking up the coin, and it ends up being a known male Denarian that is also part of the Black Circle (or at least is in the Dresden Files). It is looking to be more of a fic where the Denarian is actually evil, and not just wanting to protect Harry.
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 02-11-2017, 01:31 AM   #1019
kinetique
Groundskeeper

Thanks for that, I think it has more potential then the Denarian series in a lot of ways. If it keeps this up I can easily see it being 5/5.
kinetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:29 AM   #1020
Odran
Prisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
it is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
The author just plain old ripped off Kreia from KOTOR 2 for this.

Anyway, it's too early to tell whether this story will be any good. Not a lot has happened so far.

Tags
almost recommendable