Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > FanFiction Extras > FanFic Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 02:27 AM   #1461
Chilli
Seventh Year
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Not Chicago :(
Gender: Female
Posts: 219
DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmervoid View Post

Basilisks are bred by putting a chicken egg under a toad and waiting for it to hatch. ("chicken egg hatched beneath a toad would produce a gigantic serpent possessed of extraordinary dangerous powers."). There's no evidence that the chicken needs to be special in any way and it turns into the magical basilisk.
I think there must be some magic involved, at the very least to force the toad to stay on the egg.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #1462
Agent One
Fourth Year
 
Agent One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 138
DLP Supporter Donor Star
Not really a question about Harry Potter Per Se... But I just watched the Chamber of Secrets and noticed that there was no scuffle with Lucius and that Lucius never threw a book into Ginny's cauldron.

Now, I know the movies cut many things out but I could have sworn I remember seeing it on screen. I actually watched the first three movies before reading the books and I could have sworn it actually happened.

I specifically remember the words "It's all your father can afford".

Does anyone's copy of COS have this scene? Do I have like a special edition or something? My copy is two hours fourty-five minues long if that helps.

Of course, I could just be being stupid.
__________________
________________________________________
Before the Death Eaters. Before Voldemort. Before Tom Riddle. Before Grindewald. Before Harry Potter. There was Albus.

Agent One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #1463
wordhammer
Chief Warlock
 
wordhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the wood room, somewhere flat
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,573
DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent One View Post
Not really a question about Harry Potter Per Se... But I just watched the Chamber of Secrets and noticed that there was no scuffle with Lucius and that Lucius never threw a book into Ginny's cauldron.

Now, I know the movies cut many things out but I could have sworn I remember seeing it on screen. I actually watched the first three movies before reading the books and I could have sworn it actually happened.

I specifically remember the words "It's all your father can afford".

Does anyone's copy of COS have this scene? Do I have like a special edition or something? My copy is two hours fourty-five minues long if that helps.

Of course, I could just be being stupid.
There wasn't a scuffle but there was a tense argument, during which Lucius slipped the book into Ginny's cauldron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvWihzwI2uY
__________________
Join the DLP C2. It only hurts if you flinch.
wordhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #1464
Timthomas299
Squib
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitwizard1993 View Post
Say a Wizard was a bit of a health nut. What might the magical equivalent of a juicer be?

First thing that springs to mind would be pepper up potions, IIRC they can cure/treat a cold.
Timthomas299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #1465
Toujourss Pur
First Year
 
Toujourss Pur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Spain
Gender: Male
Posts: 27
Do Hogwarts' robes have any indicator of the house the student belongs to? I was always certain they didn't have any indicator and they only had the Hogwarts' crest on them -mainly because of the time Harry and Ron mistake Penelope with a Slytherin student-, but recently I've begun to doubt. It might be influenced by the movies, in which only in Tom Riddle's time they seemed to have the Hogwarts' crest.
Toujourss Pur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #1466
Newcomb
Death Eater
 
Newcomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Evergreen State
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujourss Pur View Post
Do Hogwarts' robes have any indicator of the house the student belongs to? I was always certain they didn't have any indicator and they only had the Hogwarts' crest on them -mainly because of the time Harry and Ron mistake Penelope with a Slytherin student-, but recently I've begun to doubt. It might be influenced by the movies, in which only in Tom Riddle's time they seemed to have the Hogwarts' crest.
No, they don't, otherwise this scene from CoS where Ron and Harry are Polyjuiced and trying to find the Slytherin common room would make very little sense:

Quote:
'The Slytherins always come up to breakfast from over there,’ said Ron, nodding at the entrance to the dungeons. The words had barely left his mouth when a girl with long curly hair emerged from the entrance.

‘Excuse me,’ said Ron, hurrying up to her, ‘we’ve forgotten the way to our common room.’

‘I beg your pardon?’ said the girl stiffly. ‘Our common room? I’m a Ravenclaw.’
__________________
𝄢
FFN | DLP | ???
Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:30 AM   #1467
Rhaegar I
Unspeakable
 
Rhaegar I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Right behind You...
Gender: Male
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomb View Post
No, they don't, otherwise this scene from CoS where Ron and Harry are Polyjuiced and trying to find the Slytherin common room would make very little sense:
Honestly, the uniforms are one of those things I outright prefer in the Movies. Having a tie that shows your House isn't a bad idea, especially for First Years.

Do the Books ever tell us anything about Quirrel as a DADA teacher? I know Umbridge thought he did a good job (which isn't a good sign), but otherwise what else do we know?
__________________
Ronald Bilius Weasley is the best character in the Harry Potter Universe. You can quote me on that.
Rhaegar I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #1468
Jenko
Died Doing the Right Thing
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 28
Why does Dumbledore do nothing about Draco even though he nearly murders Katie and Ron?
Jenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #1469
TheWiseTomato
Prisoner
Tactical Tomato
 
TheWiseTomato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Australia.
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,816
DLP Supporter Donor Star
Urge to shitpost rising.

Because a) there was no evidence pointing at Draco's involvement, and b) Albus didn't want to condemn Malfoy to life as a Death Eater.

This is one of those questions without an easily defined canon answer, too.
__________________
Yes, you do have a soul. It tastes like butterscotch pudding.


Have Australian citizenship, will sham marriage for $$$.


"Come and fight you whoresons! I am Druss and this is Death!"


I'm on Steam.
TheWiseTomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #1470
kira and light
Fifth Year
 
kira and light's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Gender: Male
Posts: 152
Could James use nonverbal magic with 15? Can't really remember the Snape memory in detail but did he use nonverbal magic there?
kira and light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #1471
Shinysavage
Death Eater
Madman With A Box
 
Shinysavage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 986
High Score: 2,296
He uses magic without any incantation being given, but that happens plenty of times. Other than that, no evidence either way. Of the four spells he casts in the memory, three of them are verbalised, so make of that what you will.
__________________
“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams.”
Shinysavage is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 02-11-2017, 12:51 AM   #1472
KingRoger
Second Year
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 52
Language font guides at the beginning of fics.

Whenever I open a new fic, if in the beginning author's notes it gives me a guide to different forms of speech being used (French, parseltongue, thoughts), showing me how each will use italics, or bold, or weird squiggly things, I immediately close the tab. Is this just me? I feel like if the author needs to denote 5 font styles to have us understand the dialog, then they just can't write, and the fic isn't worth my time.
KingRoger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:23 AM   #1473
TallDarkStranger
Third Year
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Neverland
Gender: Male
Posts: 107
^Nope, I do that too.
It happens with pokemon fanfics too. Mostly, if the pokemon are talking that's a bad sign for the fic.
TallDarkStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:44 PM   #1474
Majube
Seventh Year
 
Majube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 230
So, in the books it said Merope was barely a witch. I always took that to mean she was practically a squib and didn't have much magic. A fic I read took it the other way around, that she didn't know how because she didn't go to Hogwarts, so not a witch in a more cultural way.

First time I've ever seen this idea, which way do you all think J.K actually meant?
__________________
~I'm a mini-monstrosity~
Majube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:36 AM   #1475
Andrela
Dark!Andrela
Plot Bunny
 
Andrela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Silesia
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,109
DLP Supporter Donor Star
We know for a fact that she was able to do magic as she was capable of brewing a love potion, which requires magic.
__________________
Andrela is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:17 AM   #1476
kira and light
Fifth Year
 
kira and light's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Gender: Male
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majube View Post
So, in the books it said Merope was barely a witch. I always took that to mean she was practically a squib and didn't have much magic. A fic I read took it the other way around, that she didn't know how because she didn't go to Hogwarts, so not a witch in a more cultural way.

First time I've ever seen this idea, which way do you all think J.K actually meant?
I don't think magic is quantifiable so people who are "near Squibs" just don't have a instuctual grasp of magic or are not intelligent enough to understand theoritical concepts to perform it properly.

Besides Dumbledore mentioned that Merope was just as bad as she was because she was constantly abused by her father and brother and as soon as she got away from them she actually was quite good for not even having any kind of formal education she could after all brew iirc Amortentia she just couldn't keep herself alive with magic because after Riddle left her she was emotionally devasted and her magic again became weak, it's almost the same deal with Tonks and her Metamorphmagus abilities because Remus rejected her.
kira and light is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 02-15-2017, 06:22 AM   #1477
lopeck
Second Year
 
lopeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 67
I don't think it was ever said if she brewd the poitions herself. Howerver, in the pensieve scene at the Gaunt hovel she is shown casting a spell.

Quote:
“Mr. Gaunt, please!” said Ogden in a shocked voice, as Merope, who had already picked up the pot, flushed blotchily scarlet, lost her grip on the pot again, drew her wand shakily from her pocket, pointed it at the pot, and muttered a hasty, inaudible spell that caused the pot to shoot across the floor away from her, hit the opposite wall, and crack in two.
Dumbledore also said she stopped using magic once Tom Riddle Sr. left her. So she was clearly able to perform magic.

Whether or not her lacking skill is due to a nonexistent education is never established in cannon.
lopeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 03-08-2017, 06:24 AM   #1478
CheddarTrek
Moderator
Set Phasers to Melt
 
CheddarTrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mississippi
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,950
DLP Supporter Donor Star
So, horcruxes. This is another one of those "Am I missing something?" type questions.

First, let me explain how I understood horcruxes to work based on canon (i.e. the books). I haven't seen HBP or DH movies, so I can be fairly sure nothing from those has affected my thoughts, though fanon might have crept in.

Voldemort made different 'kinds' of horcruxes.

The locket, ring, diadem, and cup I think we can safely classify together. Magical items. My understanding from the books was that these affected the mental state of those in close contact with them, wearing them down to the point that the horcrux could possess the person in question (much like his original soul fragment possessed Quirrell, though a horcrux was not in play in that case). This much I thought was at least implied in canon.

What followed from that in my mind was that once the soul piece had moved out of the horcrux and into the person, the horcrux could be hidden again (and if he was killed while possessing someone the soul would return to the horcrux - this explains why the item itself must be destroyed). That probably isn't canon, it's just how I read canon once I gave it some thought.

Voldemort also made living horcruxes in the form of Nagini and Harry. There are various reasons why Voldemort might have had control over Nagini but not Harry, ranging from Nagini being willing, to not being sentient, to not having her own soul, etc. Harry was an accident, didn't agree, and has a soul of his own. But that's beside the point. This sort of horcrux seems stupid at first glance, because Nagini isn't immortal. When she dies wouldn't that horcrux die with her?

Then we get to the part that has been running through my head. The diary doesn't match any of the above, and on the surface that makes sense. It was the first one he made and he was still a kid when he made it, of course it wouldn't be as streamlined.

...except from my perspective, the diary looks to be one of his best designed horcruxes, along with the ring and the diadem.

Someone might wear the locket once but then store it somewhere before it had a chance to take hold. The cup presumably wouldn't be in close, regular contact with a person. The diadem and ring were good choices for anyone who knew of their magical abilities, as they would want to wear those full time. Harry was an accident, so ignoring him. Nagini as I said might die and screw him out of one.

But the diary is the only one that has a personality able to convince the victim to return him to life. It can offer the victim something in the form of knowledge (even if they aren't a lonely little girl, Voldemort as a teenager likely had knowledge a lot of adult wizards wouldn't and was a master manipulator). And it actually appeared to be able to return him to his own body, with his own soul (magic debatable). NONE of the other ones hint at doing that. Even if was able to control someone mentally, coming back to life would require (apparently) a ritual not unlike the one we saw in GoF.

So did canon ever hint at any of that? I know that he picked the Cup because of it's association with Hufflepuff but seriously... the horcruxes he'd need to stay hidden unless he died, at which point he might actually want one of them to be found so he could revive.

Or is the simple answer just that the horcruxes were never meant to be used that way? And he wanted them to always stay 100% hidden? In that case I guess the diary was too 'obvious' and that would explain why he didn't like it.

It just seems like the diary was the most complex, useful horcrux in canon. Could be hidden or used to revive him. So what made him abandon that style?
__________________
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.
~Jean-Luc Picard

CheddarTrek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #1479
Goten Askil
DA Member
 
Goten Askil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: France
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarTrek View Post
Voldemort made different 'kinds' of horcruxes.
I don't think the diary is very different from the others (except the living ones, of course), not in the way the Horcrux itself works. The only difference I see is that the diary was enchanted so that it was possible to converse with it directly. Even then, maybe the others were too, since the locket could talk after being opened, and we don't really see any of the others' "behaviour" longterm, they're destroyed too quickly.

But anyway, the diary is unique in that it is meant as a weapon as much as a safeguard, specifically designed to be found and used (pretty sure it's why Dumbledore guesses there are others).

IIRC, Dumbledore says in HBP that the Horcrux feeds on you when you grow emotionally close to it, which is obviously easier to do when you can regularly talk (or write) to it, but it's not the only way. I don't know about you, but I always use the same glass at home, at every meal, every day. I wouldn't say I'm emotionally attached to it, but I'd certainly be annoyed if it was broken, and I am annoyed when someone else uses it. And it isn't even a magical glass more than a millenium old and with potentially exceptional magical properties, so I can imagine it working for the Cup.

For the pieces of jewelry, this attachment can come by way of familiarity: the more you wear them, the more you think of them as an integral part of yourself. See how Harry forgets he is wearing the locket when he goes for the sword in DH.

All this to say that I don't think the diary is the only one able to take energy from someone, just the least insidious one in making contact. And when they take this energy, I don't see any reason to think they wouldn't be able to gain life of their own the exact same way the diary nearly did. We just never have the occasion to see another being in prolonged contact with some unsuspecting bystander. The locket was able to talk once opened, after being worn and potentially fed for monthes.

Quote:
This sort of horcrux seems stupid at first glance, because Nagini isn't immortal. When she dies wouldn't that horcrux die with her?
Totally agree about that, I think he wanted a sixth one quickly after learning of the diary's destruction, and he intended to make another when she died, after the war.

Quote:
And it actually appeared to be able to return him to his own body, with his own soul (magic debatable)
I do think you're mistaken when you say Voldemort would have been revived in his own body at the end of COS. The way the Horcrux looked like young Tom and the way Voldemort didn't even talk about it in GOF makes me think it would "only" have been the Horcrux being given consistence, not the Master Soul having a body back.

Quote:
I know that he picked the Cup because of it's association with Hufflepuff but seriously... the horcruxes he'd need to stay hidden unless he died, at which point he might actually want one of them to be found so he could revive.
This I've never understood. Why do a lot of people think Voldemort needs to have a Horcrux on hand (and even sometimes to destroy/consume it) to get his body back? He didn't have any with him in GOF, so it's perfectly fine to keep them hidden away forever, that doesn't prevent him from being revived if he is somehow "killed".
__________________
"It's not for him we're doing this. It's for one of our own." Julius Wilkes
Goten Askil is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 03-08-2017, 12:38 PM   #1480
Jarizok
Fourth Year
 
Jarizok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Malta
Age: 24
Gender: Special Snowflake
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goten Askil View Post
Why do a lot of people think Voldemort needs to have a Horcrux on hand (and even sometimes to destroy/consume it) to get his body back? He didn't have any with him in GOF, so it's perfectly fine to keep them hidden away forever, that doesn't prevent him from being revived if he is somehow "killed".
The Horcruxes serve to keep whatevers left of Tom's soul tied down to earth. It's that piece you need to put back in a body, so I agree that no Horcrux needs be present for resurrection. I'd go so far as to say that the horcruxes are prints of Tom at the time of creation (see Diary) and, given their own body, could act independently of LV.
Jarizok is offline   Reply With Quote


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about YOUR FANFIC that don't deserve their own thread... CheddarTrek FanFic Discussion 162 07-16-2017 06:14 AM
RL Questions that don't deserve their own thread CheddarTrek Real Life Discussion 1441 07-12-2017 04:59 PM
Questions that don't deserve their own thread Glimmervoid The Dresden Files 416 11-02-2016 04:35 PM
Questions that don't deserve their own thread. Quick Ben FanFic Discussion 4700 10-22-2014 04:38 PM
Politic questions that don't deserve their own thread! SmileOfTheKill Politics 85 01-21-2014 01:09 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2005 - 2016 DLP Group. All rights reserved.
No personal intellectual property on this site may be used without the credit and express permission of the respective authors.