Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Bookclub
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 04-10-2017, 02:52 AM   #1
BTT
Unspeakable

Week 24: Deathly Hallows, Ch. 16 - 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 161
after a while Harry found himself taking it out simply to stare at Ginny's name in the girl's dormitory, wondering whether the intensity with which he gazed at it might break into her sleep, that she would somehow know he was thinking about her, hoping that she was all right.
That's fucking weird, Harry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 161
[Nigellus] venerated Snape, the first Slytherin headmaster since he himself had controlled the school
Hm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 163
He was Minister, he ought to have been expert on Dark stuff.
Minister? Not Auror?

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 173
Harry became aware of the locket against his skin; the thing inside it that sometimes ticked or beat had woken; he could feel it pulsing through the cold gold. Did it know, could it sense, that the thing that would destroy it was near?
Evidence Horcruxes detect others. This never really gets brought up again, does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 173
"Come!" called Bathilda from the next room.
...How? It's mentioned that otherwise she only talks in Parseltongue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 178
Glass cut his cheek as, pulling Hermione with him, he leapt from bed to broken dressing table and then straight out of the smashed window into nothingness, her scream reverberating through the night as they twisted in midair ..
Hardcore. Also, Hermione broke Harry's wand. She's got two settings in this book: plot device in Harry's favour and plot device not in Harry's favour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 196
Dumbledore had at least taught Harry something about certain kinds of magic, of the incalculable power of certain acts.
A lot of fanfic writers seem to miss this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 206
Using his name breaks protective enchantments, it causes some kind of magical disturbance --- it's how they found us in Tottenham Court Road!"
Magical disturbance? Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 212
"It won't take long" said Harry, slightly disappointed by this less-than-warm welcome.
Of course it's less than warm, you're the most wanted man in Britain barging in on this poor bloke you don't even know well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 217
That very night, another wizard crept upon the oldest brother as he lay, wine- sodden upon his bed. The thief took the wand and for good measure, slit the oldest brother's throat.
I see this is one of the original fairy tales, not the Disney version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 218
We are talking about a cloak that really and truly renders the wearer completely invisible, and endures eternally, giving constant and impenetrable concealment, no matter what spells are cast at it.
A) it just hit me this is the wizarding equivalent of the "random discredited academic with fringe theory is proven to be correct";
B) it isn't impenetrable though. Moody & Dumbledore looked through it no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 220
One of those superstitions, isn't it? 'May-born witches will marry Muggles.' 'Jinx by twilight, undone by midnight.' 'Wand of cider, never prosper.'
Interesting enough. I actually looked these up.
The witches born in May (as sourced from here: http://members.madasafish.com/~cj_wh...birthdates.htm) are Pomona Sprout and Victoire Weasley. Not particularly notable.
Wands made of cider are never mentioned again, not in even in Olivander's notes. JKR presumably hadn't finalized her notes on wandlore yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 231
The visions he and Voldemort were sharing had changed in quality; they had become blurred, shifting as though they were moving in and out of focus. Harry was just able to make out the indistinct features of an object that looked like a skull, and something like a mountain that was more shadow than substance.
Because of Nurmengard's protective enchantments, presumably?

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 233
“Excellently put, Royal, and you’ve got my vote for Minister of Magic if we ever get out of this mess,” said Lee. “
Subtle.
The nicknames are pretty obvious. Remus is Romulus because of the myth, Kingsley is Royal.

Harry you idiot. You were just told about the Taboo. Why'd you then immediately break it?
BTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:25 AM   #2
Atram Noctem
Professor

Because Rowling wanted to get them to Malfoy Manor, of course.

Quote:
If so, Harry felt that Dumbledore had left a great deal to chance:
Well, at least Rowling acknowledges her terrible plots.
Quote:
The snake bit you too, but I've cleaned the wound and put some dittany on it
You hear that, St. Mungo's healers who tried very hard to find a cure when Arthur Weasley was bitten by Nagini? All you need to do is clean the wound and apply the most common wound sealer. Brought to you by the Brightest Witch Of Her Age.
Quote:
"and I came out miles from where you were. By the time I got back to that bit of riverbank where we'd been... you were gone."
Could've just sent an owl.
Quote:
A large spider sat in the middle of a frosted web in the brambles. Harry took aim at it with the wand Ron had given him the previous night, which Hermione had since condescended to examine, and had decided was made of blackthorn. "Engorgio"
Now that's just being a dick. Or passive aggressive.
Quote:
[the visions from Voldemort] had become blurred, shifting as though they were moving in and out of focus. Harry was just able to make out the indistinct features of an object that looked like a skull
I know that Rowling/her team of shadow writers probably didn't put much thought behind it, but I wonder what that skull-shaped object could have been.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
Shinysavage
Death Eater
Madman With A Box

High Score: 2,296
Chapter 16: Godric's Hollow

Quote:
The moment they arrived Hermione dropped Harry's hand and walked away from him, finally sitting down on a large rock ,her face on her knees, shaking with what he knew were sobs. He watched her, supposing that he ought to go and comfort her, but something kept him rooted to the spot. Everything inside him felt cold and tight: again he saw the contemptuous expression on Ron's face. Harry strode off through the heather, walking in a large circle with the distraught Hermione at its centre, casting the spells she usually performed to ensure their protection.
1. Harry is being kind of an asshole here (possibly due to still wearing the Horcrux?), and it would have been good to have seen that in the film rather than the stupid dance scene.
2. Harry is perfectly capable of casting the protective spells, even if Hermione normally does it. Good to know.

Quote:
He was waiting for the moment when Ron's labelled dot would reappear...protected by his status of pure-blood
Lol. Yeah right.

Quote:
He was staggered, now, to think of his own presumption in accepting his friends' offers to accompany him on this meandering, pointless journey.
You mean when you repeatedly said they didn't have to, that they'd be in danger, and they insisted because they're your friends? Yeah, you're a real bastard. Also, lampshade hanging is all well and good, but meandering is certainly right, and pointless is arguably so.

Quote:
They did not remain in any one area too long...
Reasonable.

Quote:
...so rather than staying in the south of England, where a hard ground frost was the worst of their worries
The worst of their worries other than being close to the Ministry and Diagon Alley, two the four most prominent (indeed, essentially only fully) magical locations in the series? Right ho.

Quote:
Hermione had been to a supermarket under the Invisibility Cloak
. WHY AREN'T THEY DOING THIS ALL THE TIME?

Quote:
He also had the foresight to suggest that they take a few hours break from wearing the Horcrux
See above, at least after they realised what a negative effect it was having on them. At least you can handwave that as the Horcrux manipulating them somehow.

Quote:
wizarding families who lived alongside tolerant and sometimes Confunded Muggles
Interesting. That implies that some Muggle families knew about their magical neighbours, even after the Statute was enforced.

Quote:
use of Polyjuice Potion
Precisely how long does this last, once brewed? Hermione stole some of Mad-Eye's stash, a good six months ago, and there's been no suggestion that they've brewed anymore, certainly since they started camping - and practically, that would be impossible, given the length of time it takes and their constant movement. Crouch Jr needed to raid Snape's office for ingredients back in GoF, suggesting that he needed to remake it at least once during the school year.

Chapter 17: Bathilda's Secret

Quote:
'Come!' called Bathilda from the next room.
Hermione jumped and clutched Harry's arm.
But doesn't say anything about the weird hissing noise that startled her, because fuck logic.

Quote:
Nagini bursting out of Bathilda's corpse and attacking Harry
Fair play, this whole section is legitimately creepy and awesome.

Quote:
'Well,' he said, in a falsely matter-of-fact voice, 'well, I'll just borrow yours for now then. While I keep watch.'
He is at least politer about it than Voldemort was.

Chapter 18: The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore

Quote:
Rita's article
In fairness to her, despite her usual spitefulness, she's not far wrong with a lot of what she says.

Quote:
They were the same age as we are now
And you've not done anything you're ashamed of in the last couple of years, Harry? Hell, in the last few months?

Chapter 19: The Silver Doe

Quote:
'I can't handle it! I'm not making excuses
Oh hey, someone owning up to his mistakes. Weird.

Quote:
After you left...she cried for a week...There were loads of nights when we never even spoke to each other.
Oh hey, Harmionians. Also, oh hey, writers of the film (I hadn't realised until I reread this how much the film annoyed me).

Chapter 20: Xenophilius Lovegood

Quote:
Harry had finally managed to tell Ron the whole story of his and Hermione's various wanderings
"We ran all over the country doing fuck all for about a month, then had one good meal, and then Godric's Hollow, which we've already given you the gist of. That's literally it, so you didn't miss a massive amount, mate."

Quote:
'It's all a matter of confidence, Harry.'
This is at least subtler than the usual wand gags.

Chapter 21: The Tale of the Three Brothers

Quote:
It was only when he had attained a great age that the youngest brother finally took off the Cloak
The implication being that he lived his entire life under it. Weird.

Quote:
Escaping the Death Eaters
Again, fair's fair - this bit is pretty badass. DH does at least have some cool setpieces, whatever its other flaws are.

Chapter 22: The Deathly Hallows

Quote:
Dumbledore left you very clear instructions!
That there weren't clear instructions or plans has literally been the biggest complaint you and Ron have had. Also, there's a nice irony in the fact that for the first time, Harry's on the right path, and the others don't believe him.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
Atram Noctem
Professor

Oh it's not the first time. Already forgot the Malfoy ordeal in HBP?
Old 04-18-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
Shinysavage
Death Eater
Madman With A Box

High Score: 2,296
True, but I was thinking specifically of during the camping trip.