Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Real Life Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 04-18-2017, 07:57 PM   #3501
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter North View Post
TOMD: I finally decided to try writing my own Harry Potter fanfic. So far I don't have a title and I've barely got a summary, but I've started to write it and I've got almost a whole page written.

I figure I've been posting on DLP long enough and reading fanfiction even longer that it's time to try my hand even if I feel like my writing is cringe worthy. Surprisingly enough I think my idea is sound.

Today feels like a good day.
My suggestion is to join a writers' group, or get a beta reader or two. People who you can bounce ideas and drafts off of.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

And from that turmoil, power. The power to bend the universe to my will.

- Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 04-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #3502
Nazgus
Order Member

TOMD: Signed up for my classes next semester, and once again gave thanks to my scholarship for giving me priority registration. Might be a bit mean of me, but I love being able to just sit there and smile anytime people start bitching about not being able to get the classes/timeslots/professors they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
"Be my friend, motherfucker!" Naruto howled, slamming the rasengan into Gaara's face.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."

-Stephen King
Nazgus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #3503
Wildfeather
Seventh Year

High Score: 2,011
Send a message via AIM to Wildfeather Send a message via MSN to Wildfeather Send a message via Yahoo to Wildfeather Send a message via Skype™ to Wildfeather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aekiel View Post
TOMD is that I went over to my cousin's place to catch up after a hectic week, only to find that her dog had been savaged by a couple of other dogs while out for a walk. I lived with that dog for six months; I treat him like he's mine. The guy whose dogs attacked him basically said that he shouldn't have been off a leader, despite our dog being as friendly as can be and it being a popular dog walking area.

Can't describe how pissed off I am right now. Nobody hurts my dogs.
Depending on the area your cousins were walking the dog in, the other person may be totally correct. Even if your dog is friendly, a dog off a leash approaching a dog in a leash should NEVER happen. From the perspective of the dog on the leash, they're literally backed into a corner with no way to escape if the other dog is not friendly, so they will generally attack first to scare the other dog off.

Maybe things are different where you are, but around here no dog is allowed to be off a leash at any time (except within the bounds of a dog park or other typical facility, in which it is against the rules to have your dog on a leash). These kinds of laws prevent this exact situation from happening, or at least clearly identify the liable party so that damages can be recovered.

That being said it still sucks when a dog you're attached to is attacked.

Wildfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #3504
Aekiel
Order Member
Angle of Mispeling

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 9,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfeather View Post
Depending on the area your cousins were walking the dog in, the other person may be totally correct. Even if your dog is friendly, a dog off a leash approaching a dog in a leash should NEVER happen. From the perspective of the dog on the leash, they're literally backed into a corner with no way to escape if the other dog is not friendly, so they will generally attack first to scare the other dog off.

Maybe things are different where you are, but around here no dog is allowed to be off a leash at any time (except within the bounds of a dog park or other typical facility, in which it is against the rules to have your dog on a leash). These kinds of laws prevent this exact situation from happening, or at least clearly identify the liable party so that damages can be recovered.

That being said it still sucks when a dog you're attached to is attacked.
It's a nature reserve, about 60 acres large. It's also the most popular dog walking site in the area (it's pretty much the only patch of wilderness for miles around). There are hundreds of dogs off the lead in that area on any given day, more on sunny days (which it was).

Aside from that, though, the owner knew that his dogs were not good around other animals and he wasn't physically capable of handling both at the same time. If you can't keep your dogs under control you should walk them separately or muzzle them so that they're not a danger to others. I've done the same with my dogs in the past, when I knew I couldn't trust them around others.

If we have a duty of care not to let our dog approach others, then they have a duty of care to ensure that their dangerous animal isn't able to seriously hurt anyone/thing.
Because you can't, you won't and you don't stop ~ The Beastie Muppets
Steam Profile
Aekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 04-19-2017, 08:16 PM   #3505
Seyllian
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aekiel View Post
It's a nature reserve, about 60 acres large. It's also the most popular dog walking site in the area (it's pretty much the only patch of wilderness for miles around). There are hundreds of dogs off the lead in that area on any given day, more on sunny days (which it was).

Aside from that, though, the owner knew that his dogs were not good around other animals and he wasn't physically capable of handling both at the same time. If you can't keep your dogs under control you should walk them separately or muzzle them so that they're not a danger to others. I've done the same with my dogs in the past, when I knew I couldn't trust them around others.

If we have a duty of care not to let our dog approach others, then they have a duty of care to ensure that their dangerous animal isn't able to seriously hurt anyone/thing.
I've walked my dog before and had my dog attacked by another dog which had escaped its fence, so I know what the other dude is thinking. Luckily I was able to whack the black lab hard enough to get it to flee, but it's still a pretty awful feeling seeing an animal attack your pet.

However, despite the fact that I have been in this guy's situation, it does not excuse him from taking on something he cannot handle. One of the most important things when walking a dog is being able to control your pet. Whenever I see an old person walking a large dog or even a small woman I usually just cross the road. It's not that I don't want my dog to meet other animals, in fact, I would love him to, but if another's pet is hostile I do not want to have to keep control of both my pet and fend off the other persons.

Completely agree with you on the lead part, but I find that generally most dogs that are unable to behave well and aggressive are due to bad and ineffective owners, so if they can't train a dog well it may be asking too much of them...

I hope the dog gets better!
Old 04-20-2017, 01:12 AM   #3506
Fardeki
Headmaster

My 1080 ti rocked up this afternoon and now... I'm off to night-shift.

This adult stuff is bullshit, a few years ago I would of just called in sick.
Fardeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 04-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #3507
Giovanni
The Fifth House
God of Scotch

Got bored. Decided to train a group of Democratic activists how to do basic opposition research (public records requests, how to review documents, summarize findings, etc.) A workshop that was supposed to fit in my living room (I made the description as boring as humanly possible to weed out the people who would be temperamentally unsuited) will likely need a real venue even if 75% of the signups flake.

Shit?

Quote:
Xiph0 What then?

Xiph0 Everyone needs projects.

Giovanni No long term projects except the goal of acquiring more property so that I can die.
Giovanni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #3508
Wildfeather
Seventh Year

Send a message via AIM to Wildfeather Send a message via MSN to Wildfeather Send a message via Yahoo to Wildfeather Send a message via Skype™ to Wildfeather
Having spoke with a bunch of my professors, I decided that going for the Paralegal degree (leading to law school) isn't what I want to do with my life. So I'll be going to find ish my criminology degree and head off into the wonderful world of law enforcement in the next year or so. I feel really good about the decision, even though it means I wasted a year learning all kinds of civil law, court procedures and legal drafting and analysis.

I'll probably have to shave my beard though. Much regret.

Also looking for apartments with my wife.

P. S. That dog situation sucks, I feel for you even if I'm not so sure your cousin didn't exacerbate the situation. People who don't know how to control their dogs are the worst though.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #3509
Invictus
Heir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
Got bored. Decided to train a group of Democratic activists how to do basic opposition research (public records requests, how to review documents, summarize findings, etc.) A workshop that was supposed to fit in my living room (I made the description as boring as humanly possible to weed out the people who would be temperamentally unsuited) will likely need a real venue even if 75% of the signups flake.

Shit?
Blame Trump. Good luck trying to explain them that just denouncing the opposition in the HuffPost isn't very effective.
Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #3510
Giovanni
The Fifth House
God of Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
Blame Trump. Good luck trying to explain them that just denouncing the opposition in the HuffPost isn't very effective.
That's not opposition research Invictus. Description specifically mentioned that it was not messaging or public communications, and that if anyone had brilliant ideas they absolutely needed to share about either of those things at the meeting they would be asked to leave.

Quote:
Xiph0 What then?

Xiph0 Everyone needs projects.

Giovanni No long term projects except the goal of acquiring more property so that I can die.
Giovanni is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 04-20-2017, 06:46 PM   #3511
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfeather View Post
Having spoke with a bunch of my professors, I decided that going for the Paralegal degree (leading to law school) isn't what I want to do with my life. So I'll be going to find ish my criminology degree and head off into the wonderful world of law enforcement in the next year or so. I feel really good about the decision, even though it means I wasted a year learning all kinds of civil law, court procedures and legal drafting and analysis.

I'll probably have to shave my beard though. Much regret.
What level are you thinking of? Depending on what you do, that might actually be considered a real asset.

TOMD: I got a lot of work done today, and yet I got nothing done that I had intended on doing.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #3512
Atum
DA Member

DLP Supporter Donor Star
After an exhaustive year-long effort, I've finally found and vetted a barber that can reliably give me just about any cut I could ask, and I've asked a lot.

The taste of triumph is sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon
Xanidel. Always watching. Silent. Fascinated.
Atum is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 04-20-2017, 09:18 PM   #3513
Wildfeather
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Revan View Post
What level are you thinking of? Depending on what you do, that might actually be considered a real asset.

TOMD: I got a lot of work done today, and yet I got nothing done that I had intended on doing.
Down here (In Central Florida) almost all entry level positions are for Sheriff/Local PD for patrols or corrections. I haven't asked yet, but it's faster to finish a criminology degree than it is to finish my paralegal degree, so there's not much incentive to stay on the same track I was in. I already partially finished my criminology degree (about 1 year of coursework) vs just finished the pre-reqs (plus 3 classes) for the paralegal degree.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:00 PM   #3514
The Iron Rose
Order Member

lest we think only American schools are shitty, my girlfriend's college at UofT has decided to have a mandatory mass during convocation.

This is not the first time they've done this. And it does come right after they tore down all the "lgbt safe space" posters and ended condom distribution, safe sex pamphlets, and sex Ed.
The Iron Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #3515
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Rose View Post
lest we think only American schools are shitty, my girlfriend's college at UofT has decided to have a mandatory mass during convocation.

This is not the first time they've done this. And it does come right after they tore down all the "lgbt safe space" posters and ended condom distribution, safe sex pamphlets, and sex Ed.
Weird. Canada never struck me as the sort of place that would be into that sort of thing.

TOMD: Took an exam related to obtaining a qualification that would result in fairly significant career advancement, haven't gotten results yet despite it being (ostensibly) administered by a computer. Fingers crossed.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:49 PM   #3516
TheWiseTomato
Prisoner
Tactical Tomato

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:

Would probably wear skintight leather chaps to the mass in protest. Black handlebar moustache and cap optional.

Have Australian citizenship, will sham marriage for $$$.

"Come and fight you whoresons! I am Druss and this is Death!"

I'm on Steam.
TheWiseTomato is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 04-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #3517
Peter North
Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseTomato View Post
Would probably wear skintight leather chaps to the mass in protest. Black handlebar moustache and cap optional.
Also take a page out of Trump's book as well, and whip out your wallet during the Eucharist.
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Peter North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:37 PM   #3518
Hopper10
First Year

Quote:

As a U of T grad - which college. Because I'm calling bullshit.
Hopper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:40 PM   #3519
Invictus
Heir

Quote:

Uuuh, that does not fit what I know about UoT, at all, from a friend that went there. No news about it anywhere else, even the Toronto Star, Toronto's leftist journal that even does article on how changing the way parking lots are allocated in one street is an attack against local residents to favour companies and their employees.
Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:52 AM   #3520
The Iron Rose
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper10 View Post
As a U of T grad - which college. Because I'm calling bullshit.
Saint Mike's. The new dean they brought in this year is a total Fundy, and the college has gotten dozens of homophobia complaints already. They already had a mandatory mass during frosh - or rather, didn't tell anyone it wasn't mandatory and that they could leave. everyone just skipped that one, but convocation is a bit harder to swing.
The Iron Rose is online now   Reply With Quote