Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  

Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Great Hall > Hall of Shame
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donor Bar
PatronusCharm Banner

Old 11-14-2014, 12:24 PM   #21
Curry Potter
Second Year

Alright since I'm somewhat responsible for you posting this here by teaching you how to post up fics for review, I'm gonna spend my first ever post on this.

On the off chance you're not a Minion throwaway account, here's the thing. The pairing in itself isn't bad, no one's bashing it specifically because of the pairing, The writing simply isn't good enough. For one thing, Harry gets seduced and has sex with Rose right in the first chapter, there is no meaningful character development or plot advancement. I could go on and on about how many things this fic is doing wrong but yeah. 2/5
Old 11-14-2014, 12:24 PM   #22
Odran
Heir

Quote:
"Men are pigs" is said for a reason. Not all, but most.
Yeah, I can't see how anyone could think this whole thread isn't just plain shitposting.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #23
Jormungandr
Prisoner

...I legitimately believe you to be mentally deficient in some way, OP -- and I don't mean that as an insult like saying "you're a twat", but in the way that there is literally something stopping you from understanding.

If you honestly can't see the problems... Christ, I'm not exactly the sharpest knife in the draw but even I can see them!
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
Old 11-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #24
potterheadcharles
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Black View Post
Yes, let's sympathize with the poor fictional character. This is such a trying time for her.
Of course. There is nothing wrong in giving away a little sympathy.

Maybe there is a Rose somewhere and then there is Harry and people are giving them a hard time.

We live in the world of magic.

Fanfiction is nothing if you can't immerse yourself in it and just feel for the characters.

I am just a crazy reader who believes a little too much.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #25
Samuel Black
Minister for Magic

Well, you do seem crazy.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #26
potterheadcharles
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungandr View Post
...I legitimately believe you to be mentally deficient in some way, OP -- and I don't mean that as an insult like saying "you're a twat", but in the way that there is literally something stopping you from understanding.

If you honestly can't see the problems... Christ, I'm not exactly the sharpest knife in the draw but even I can see them!
I thank you and I understand, I really do, but maybe its a difference of perception. Someone says Earth revolves around the Sun but people forget that it was later proved that Sun too revolves around the Earth. Its just a matter of perception.

People just stick to a theory and refuse to come out of it even when someone starts banging their head on the table.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #27
Stan
Order Member

It amuses me that this story is getting so much attention while better stories up for review and in the library have barely any posts at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspicacity View Post
Rose's seduction of an older wizard can be done right if in the hands of a talented author. This isn't the case here.
Well, at least something good came out of this thread. The linked story is quite good. Also, Shezza's Familiar conversations features Harry/Rose and is very good as well.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #28
Riley
Alchemist

DLP Supporter Donor Star
"You people" refers to people who spout stupid shit like, "He can't help himself," and "it's not his fault there's this ass in his face and he fucked it".

It's the same fucking thing as saying, "oh she dressed for it," and "it's not his fault she passed out after saying yes". It's misogyny pure and simple.

I'm done. This thread will likely derail into a huge clusterfuck and then get shut down.

The worst fucking part is that this thread isn't even funny enough for a HoS posting. It's just sad.

Let it die, I say.
My new attempt at fanfiction. After battling the entity known as Voldemort through the various Precincts of Death for over 80 years, there is a way out. HP/Abhorsen crossover. HP/HG main characters. Find out the rest inside. Reviews/ratings welcome and desired. DLP| FFN

Ongoing One Shot. The Keeper of the Alleyway. DLP
Old 11-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #29
gbbz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by potterheadcharles View Post
but people forget that it was later proved that Sun too revolves around the Earth. Its just a matter of perception.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Get off your meds, jeeeeez.
"The rock was... this really really magically powerful rock... really rare and powerful and valuable because it... jumped out of my pocket all on its own and started hitting him." He nodded firmly, cementing the validity of his story via personal conviction rather than logic or evidence. - "On a Train, Switching Tracks" by Mede
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 11-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #30
Oment
Minister for Magic
The Betrayer

OP: the saint doth protest too much, methinks. Think on that for a second.

Actual review: Entirely too flippant for a potentially heavy subject, even discounting the yes/no/maybe incestuous situation. Characterisation seems... meh. Hermione is entirely too accepting of the situation (but she can rationalise it away), Molly is so far off her base character that it starts to get a bit outside of suspension of disbelief territory (Chpt 2 start), and Harry... Yeah, no. He gives in after something I can't even describe as token resistance. No reason given, nevermind the age gap or the morality involved, he just gives in, no resistance required.

There is actually a potentially good story in there, if you relate the lack of resistance to use of Love Potions or something similar, but I digress.

The interpunction irks me. And by irk, I mean that I have seen better use of that from fourteen year old ESL pupils. On top of that, the writing is incredibly formulaic at times, both in the first chapter and in two later chapters I skimmed through. To wit:

X [verbed] [adverb] (Chpt 1, first few lines: he beamed proudly.)
X [verbed] and said (Chpt 1, end of chapter: Al groaned and said)
"This dialogue is filler," said/asked/replied X [adverb]. (Chpt 1, about 60 % through: said Harry firmly; she asked curiously, asked Rose hesitantly)

Examples obviously not exhaustive.

The topic is not given the proper weight it deserves and which it can have (cf: examples in this thread), and the presentation of it all is plain terrible, wrapped in simplistic, error-riddled writing that veers into serious OOC territory for established characters. The only good point is that it comes off favourable in comparison to the true dregs of FFN, but that is damning with very, very, very faint praise.

1/5, based on what I've seen and admittedly heavily influenced by the problems I have with the interpunction/formulaic writing. Perhaps I'm missing some form of drama that plays out superbly, but I'm not willing to check.

Last edited by Oment; 11-14-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #31
fontisian
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by potterheadcharles View Post
Someone says Earth revolves around the Sun but people forget that it was later proved that Sun too revolves around the Earth. Its just a matter of perception.
That is a gross exaggeration. The earth, sun and every other planet in the solar system rotate around the center of mass of the solar system. While this center of mass is not precisely the center of the sun, it is still within the sun itself. The claim that, from a certain perspective, the sun rotates around the earth ignores the huge mass imbalance between the earth and the sun and the effect of other planets. You would have been better of claiming that the earth can be perceived as traveling through a straight line in curved space-time.

In the future, please refrain from including physics in your asinine points.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 11-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #32
potterheadcharles
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley View Post
"You people" refers to people who spout stupid shit like, "He can't help himself," and "it's not his fault there's this ass in his face and he fucked it".

It's the same fucking thing as saying, "oh she dressed for it," and "it's not his fault she passed out after saying yes". It's misogyny pure and simple.

I'm done. This thread will likely derail into a huge clusterfuck and then get shut down.

The worst fucking part is that this thread isn't even funny enough for a HoS posting. It's just sad.

Let it die, I say.
I can't believe it. I fucking can't believe it. Do you even know what you are shitting about, Riley, you dumbass. Misogyny, do you know the meaning of the word?

All of you, I don't give a shit what you said. You don't like the fic, the pairing, fucking Harry Potter, I don't mind.
But this? How dare you, you mindless freak?

Did you even read what I posted?

I keep women in the highest regard of my life, you stupid stupid excuse for a man.

I am a Hindu Brahmin. We worship women. It doesn't matter where we live, what we eat, what we do, but every year, twice for nine days, we worship women nonstop.

God, and I thought these people would give me an open discussion.

Riley, people like you do not deserve to have the ability to spout words from your dirty mouth and type worrds using your slimy hands.

This was my first post and I was happy to get a response, even if it was negetive. But you ruined this for me idiot.

God, 23 and he thinks of himself as the most proud person of the fucking world.
Eat shit.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #33
Republic
Minister for Magic
The Snow Queen

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Inb4 Hall of Shame.

Edit: Tried to read first chapter. Failed.
Step 3) Declare yourself best in the fandom.
Step 4) Bask.
My life, for Aiur... ... For the Alliance
Steam Profile.

Permanently tilted
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 11-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #34
gbbz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontisian View Post
That is a gross exaggeration. ...
That is not a gross exaggeration, it is simply falsehood. To rotate: The act or process of turning around a center or an axis (by http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rotation). The Sun does not rotate around the Earth.

In no amount of exaggeration physics can you say that the Sun rotates around the Earth. The Sun comprises over 99% of the mass of the Solar System. There is no concievable way you could say that the rotation axis is outside the Sun.

EDIT: To say it is a gross exaggeration is like saying that desert is a humid place.
"The rock was... this really really magically powerful rock... really rare and powerful and valuable because it... jumped out of my pocket all on its own and started hitting him." He nodded firmly, cementing the validity of his story via personal conviction rather than logic or evidence. - "On a Train, Switching Tracks" by Mede

Last edited by gbbz; 11-14-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #35
MattSilver
The Traveller

I'mma stop y'all there, 'cause we all know Shezza wrote the best Harry/Rose fic.

Ever.

Of all time.

EDIT: Fucking sniped. Add that to the death montage. Wub wub wub rekt'd.

Last edited by MattSilver; 11-14-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #36
Andrela
Mistress of Death
Plot Bunny

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Like, what?

Just no. I don't support this kind of fics.

1/5
Old 11-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #37
Pasta Sentient
Disappeared

I would state that the Hall of Shame Nobel Prize go to the OP. His statements that most male would give in regardless not only reeks of misogyny but misandry as well. It is an insult to men and wrongfully stereotypical. Are there men who would give in? Yes, but I bet even the majority of those who did would feel dirty afterward.

And let me say...the men I know and interact with (including those on this site) have far more intelligence and will power to say no than you have insinuated.

Fare thee well, troll.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #38
Odran
Heir

Quote:
Also, Shezza's Familiar conversations features Harry/Rose and is very good as well.
Nope.

/10chars

Tags
harry/rose