Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Politics
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 11-03-2016, 06:05 PM   #521
guestreader
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo23 View Post
First past the post. Almost all Tory seats voted to leave, if theres even a 10% swing across these seats they will not hold them.
You're forgetting that most of the politicians wanted to vote remain. You are therefore relying on politicians to actually do their job and represent their voters over self interest. A risky proposition.
guestreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:18 PM   #522
Invictus
Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestreader View Post
You're forgetting that most of the politicians wanted to vote remain. You are therefore relying on politicians to actually do their job and represent their voters over self interest. A risky proposition.
Their self interest is to not get kicked out of office.
Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:23 PM   #523
nath1607
Groundskeeper

An interesting question throughout the Brexit debate has been with the UK leaving the EU, would Scotland leave the UK given it voted by large margin to stay afterwards.

This may now be relevant if activating article 50 has to be done via parliament, as even if the UK parliament chooses to do so I highly doubt that the Scottish parliament would. Does someone know about the constitutionality of this and whether the Scottish parliament would have a say, or whether they could make themselves heard?
nath1607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #524
Fiat
The Chosen One

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by nath1607 View Post
An interesting question throughout the Brexit debate has been with the UK leaving the EU, would Scotland leave the UK given it voted by large margin to stay afterwards.

This may now be relevant if activating article 50 has to be done via parliament, as even if the UK parliament chooses to do so I highly doubt that the Scottish parliament would. Does someone know about the constitutionality of this and whether the Scottish parliament would have a say, or whether they could make themselves heard?
I am all but certain that the Scottish Parliament doesn't actually have the power to do anything about that, no. They're going to fight for another referendum, and might even get it, but at the end of the day it's the UK Parliament that gets to vote on this kind of thing.
Fiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:38 PM   #525
Aekiel
Order Member
Angle of Mispeling

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 9,373
I've been reading a lot of news sites since I started my new job and one of the key points that has been emphasised on everything from the Daily Mail to the Guardian is that only a small minority of politicians have proposed ignoring the referendum. That means that any politician that isn't part of the Green Party (or is likewise extreme in their views) isn't going to attempt to block the invocation of Article 50.

The fact is that we're leaving the EU. What's up for debate at this point is what our relationship with the continent will be after we've left. Either way we're almost certainly going to wait until after the German elections next winter before getting into the meat of the negotiations.
Because you can't, you won't and you don't stop ~ The Beastie Muppets
Steam Profile
Aekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:51 AM   #526
Oment
Minister for Magic
The Betrayer

Speaking of the Daily Mail, several tabloids (and the Telegraph) are close to having a stroke over the ruling. The Guardian has a rather snide article on it, but the front pages themselves are worth it to see in here.

Truly works of art. Also, the Daily Mail's website headline was this before they changed it slightly:

@Aekiel Don't read the DM. It'll rot your brain.

~R.I.P. Oz's dick, 1990-2016.~
Oment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #527
Shinysavage
Order Member
Madman With A Box

High Score: 2,296
I and various other members of my old fencing club have been highly amused by the fact that being a fencer is the worst thing the DM feel able to put on their front page with regard to Sir Etherton. I mean, what a bastard.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #528
World
Oberstgruppenführer

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Obviously if they'd just written "openly gay", that might be homophobic, so they needed another thing to round out the sentence.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #529
Invictus
Alchemist

I love the BBC:
https://youtu.be/WwsQ_5Wm4oo
Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:19 AM   #530
Thaumologist
Minister for Magic

So Corbyn's said that unless Britain retains access to the market, he wants Labour MPs to block Brexit, presumably by voting Remain in Parliament. There's little he can do to force them (Whips don't have legal power, other than reporting) apart from what amounts to expulsion from the party (). Whilst this article doesn't go into detail, it does state that
Quote:
enough Remainers are saying they would respect the result of the referendum and vote to start the process of leaving the EU

May's said she plans on carrying out Brexit in full, regardless of the High Court ruling.

I find it interesting she's appealing the decision, because if she thought MPs would vote in line with their constituencies, there wouldn't be an issue (421 out of 574 constituencies voted leave). Certainly, it could just be not wanting to have shackles put on what Government's powers are, which I can't blame her for, but I guess she doesn't want to leave anything to chance.

The other thing to bear in mind is that if it has to through Commons, it then has to go through the Lords. They can't block it forever, but they aren't beholden to anyone, and can basically do whatever they want (in voting). This could make enacting article 50 by the end of 2017 a bit tricky.

Last edited by Thaumologist; 11-06-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Thaumologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:29 AM   #531
Taure
Order Member
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 13,152
Quote:
Certainly, it could just be not wanting to have shackles put on what Parliament's powers are, which I can't blame her for, but I guess she doesn't want to leave anything to chance.
Government's powers*

Quote:
The other thing to bear in mind is that if it has to through Commons, it then has to go through the Lords. They can't block it forever, but they aren't beholden to anyone, and can basically do whatever they want (in voting). This could make enacting article 50 by the end of 2017 a bit tricky.
They can always force it through the Lords using the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949.

HPATTGH: 1/35 Complete
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:43 AM   #532
FriedIce
Slug Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taure View Post
They can always force it through the Lords using the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949.
Brexit sure as hell isn't a money bill, so they'd have to pass it in consecutive sessions which 1) gives the remain MPs multiple opportunities to fuck with the bill, and 2) would push the carrying out of article 50 to after a new general election.

It wouldn't stop it, but if the Lords wanted to they'd make life significantly harder for the Government here.
FriedIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 11-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #533
Thaumologist
Minister for Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taure View Post
Government's powers*
True. Edited.

Quote:

They have to pass it through two sessions, and it'll have been delayed by up to a year.

That said, the Salisbury Convention does mean that if May does go for early re-election, and makes "follow through on the referendum" part of her manifesto, they can't block it. Given that at least one party is already doing the opposite.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:15 AM   #534
Hashasheen
Totally Sirius

Quote:
Originally Posted by World View Post
Obviously if they'd just written "openly gay", that might be homophobic, so they needed another thing to round out the sentence.
Plus it sounds like a posh cunt thing that their typical audience would dislike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portus View Post
Mind giving a description of your gran, in particular without her bifocals and dentures?

This may sound odd, but goddamn, does she sound familiar.
Hashasheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #535
fire
Professor

I don't like Corbyn, partly for political reasons (he's too close to the Islamists and the illiberal left), and partly for pragmatic reasons (he'll never win a GE), but he's done the right thing here, the clever thing.

His promise to block Brexit unless access to the single market is obtained appears very reasonable - after all, most Brits want the common market, and the marginal victory of Leave was gotten off the back of many voters being promised so.

But of course, we all know the EU will never grant access to the common market without freedom of movement - it would be political suicide for all of the mainstream European parties, left or right, currently in power. If they show to their citizens that you can have access to the common market without needing to let in them dirty foreigners, they'll all be thrown out in short order for the anti-immigrant right.

No deal May gets from the EU, then, will pass Parliament, assuming there are enough Tories willing to stand up to the Eurosceptic right.

This could buy us a couple of years.

This impasse can eventually be broken by a direct referendum upon Brexit without access to the common market - which Leave should lose, since (1) there'll be higher pro-Remain turnout now all the apathetic Remainers have seen the consequences of not voting, or of protest voting, and (2) Leave without common market is considerably less popular than Leave with.

Or May will simply call a General Election, deselect the defectors, and then it'll be Leave Conservatives vs Corbyn's Labour.

God save our souls.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 11-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #536
Bill Door
The Chosen One

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire View Post
No deal May gets from the EU, then, will pass Parliament, assuming there are enough Tories willing to stand up to the Eurosceptic right.
Very big assumption. Any Tory who goes against Brexit all but guarantees they lose their seat, either by de-selection or by shedding voters to UKIP in the next election.

Bona fide hustler making my name

Bill Door is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 11-08-2016, 01:58 AM   #537
Quiddity
Auror

@fire I agree Corbyn's doing the right thing politically, but not because I think Brexit will be stopped. Instead this move puts Labour as the major party who was unwilling to vote for unqualified Brexit, which should be a positive cleavage for them later on. Especially because, as you said, his requirement seems highly reasonable but is very unlikely to occur (and if it does, he looks even better).

Unfortunate that they were so lukewarmly anti-Brexit earlier. But they may make hay out of this yet.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #538
Thaumologist
Minister for Magic

Sturgeon's jumping in with "protect Scotland!", but doesn't actually say what she plans on doing. It looks like she's in support of MPs voting on A50 though.

Also, it has been raised with the CPS that some of the information presented by the Leave campaign was untrue, and known to be so. As such, it counts as deliberate lying to voters, which is an offence (although only from 2006, it looks like. And never actually taken to court). This wouldn't have any impact on the outcome of the referendum itself.

It's all a bit of a kerfuffle, really.

Last edited by Thaumologist; 11-08-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Thaumologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #539
Khaine
Squib

Honestly the moment that Parliament actually blocks the brexit the shitstorm is really going to happen, At the point the people of the EU just want them to leave and that's not even mention the pro brexit voters who would most likely riot at a shit move like that.
Khaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #540
Garden
Minister for Magic

Dominic Cummings, the mastermind behind the Leave campaign, wrote an article detailing why Leave won. It's a lot more thoughtful and nuanced than I thought it would be-- he acknowledges the small margin of victory, he doesn't tell a 'big picture' narrative.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/01...eferendum-won/
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote