Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > The Alternates
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 08-18-2007, 10:53 AM   #41
Zulu

Yea it pretty much went the way I expected although I was hoping for a more physical confrontation between Tom and Harry instead of loving memories prevailing. Good thing though is that the fic seems to be winding down so lets hope it doesn't take too long to update.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #42
Andro
Master of Death

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Personally, I feel a bit underwhelmed by the latest choices the author made. He seemingly wasted chapters on family love developement and poorly executed Tom's reversal, then chose loving memories as the method to make him Light again, and made the duels somewhat were lackluster. I had expected more from Dumbledore and Grindelwald's duel than Dumbledore deflecting a fireball that levels an entire tower.
Andro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:50 AM   #43
Hahukum Konn
Fourth Year

It does seem to have been rather swiftly wrapped-up, but there's a real cliffhanger in the last chapter - rather unexpected, really. Just for that I'll give it a 4/5 at this point.
Hahukum Konn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:48 AM   #44
griselda
First Year

An original, well-structured and intelligent plot with a host of well-developed, interesting and diverse characters earns a 5 plus forgiveness for horrible spelling and a couple of weaker moments from me any day.

I'd like it if Harry would lose his magic. It makes sense that there's a horrible price to pay for messing with time, and I admire authors who have the guts to write a not-so-happy ending.
griselda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #45
Hahukum Konn
Fourth Year

Ok, this just wrapped up. I'll give it a 4/5 again for the last chapter. Time for some spoilery comments...

Yay! Nicer timeline... Luna and Xenophilius are still as weird as they were in Harry's original run, and Tom Riddle is now the Minister for Magic and isn't evil at all, while that idiot Fudge is some Undersecretary of Sports or something. Heh.

There's also a great hook for a sequel, and an intimation that Hermione may actually have been something like a half-blood instead of an all-out Muggleborn. I like that this puts a new twist on an old cliche, the "pureblood Hermione".
Hahukum Konn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #46
jbern
Headmaster
Alba Mater

It was a very enjoyable story. I'll be interested to see what happens in the sequel. There's a bevy of heavy hitters still standing in the story so whatever evil is coming must be fairly significant....

Jim
Rule #1 - Do not talk about Alpha Fight Club
Rule #2 - Don't start an E-Penis war that you don't have a plan for winning.

Horror, Humor, and Heroes

Buy HHH E-Book Here
jbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:04 PM   #47
Myst
Headmaster

This is probably one of the better completed works out there right now. An interesting tail of time travel that actually ended and now we get to see the altered timeline.

How many times have we seen this happened in fanfics? The good news is that he is able to complete his stories so we will probably see an end to this interesting series.

5/5 hands down.

My Harry Potter Fic:

To Win a War

PC | FF.net
Myst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #48
CelticWarrior
Second Year

The fic needs some work for the first couple of chapters as some of the errors make you do a double take. 3/5 as harry adopts Tom ain't my thing really.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #49
Assassinator_of_Dumbledor
Raptured to Hell

It is a good fic I give it a 4/5 because Tom didn't turn out evil, but the good news is that the other witch is still alive
Assassinator_of_Dumbledor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:47 PM   #50
Shorna
Muggle

I give this story a 4.5 out of 5. Yes the early chapters were weak, and probably could use a little re-write but that would change the story. I am glad that this was very quickly completed unlike so many of the good stories that are on that site. I did like the fact that Harry adopted Tom and showed him how to be good. I am also glad that we got to see how things actually turned out. I am looking forward to reading the sequel. As for all of the spelling errors that I have seen others report in this form, as a very poor speller, I did not notice them.

I look forward to reading the other stories that this person writes.
Shorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #51
Chime
Dark Lord

I agree that some of the more unturbulent chapters could use a make-over (as ip said, this story lacks conflict much throughout; really the biggest thing is Harry deciding whether to keep or revoke his magic).

I love how it ended though. I was afraid Harry'd end up a squib for 50 years, and then become a magical old man and die in the last chapter, smiling, or some cop-out like that. That's why I strayed from the story for a while.

I was pleasantly surprised. Everything's different from how I would have expected. Especially Luna. Perhaps the sequel is Harry/Luna? I can only hope.

The prophecy is a bit of a deus ex, but if the sequel is as good as this, then there's hope.
Chime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #52
vorenus
Squib

I felt Nott was too much like Ron. In ch38 he says “Bloody hell, mate! What did you do that for?” Would the minister of magic's slytherin son really say that? Still a good story 4.2/5
vorenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:39 AM   #53
Mordecai
Groundskeeper
Drunken Scotsman

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 3,485
Yes, because bloody hell is just one of those things that's said. Its not generally thought of as bad language (apart from around really old people or by teachers). It just kind of slips into the vocabulary.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:11 AM   #54
Judicator
Squib

DLP Supporter Donor Star
This fic is now completed.

This story is surprisingly gripping. I found myself unable to leave my computer and stop reading. I would recommend this story to anyone who reads Timetravel fics. 4.5/5
Judicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:12 AM   #55
Anme
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judicator View Post
This fic is now completed.

This story is surprisingly gripping. I found myself unable to leave my computer and stop reading. I would recommend this story to anyone who reads Timetravel fics. 4.5/5
Huh? This has been complete for more than 3 years and the sequel isn't finished yet.

The story is one of the more enjoyable time travel fics. 4/5.

Anme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:25 PM   #56
Tenages
Unspeakable

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anme View Post
Huh? This has been complete for more than 3 years and the sequel isn't finished yet..
This. That was strange necro.

As for the story itself, it is definitely one of the better time traveling stories. Harry doesn't relive his Hogwarts years, but instead goes to another time period entirely, which is refreshing. Also there were real consequences to the time travel, he has to either give up his magic or his family. Too many stories in the genre lack consequences.

I thought the characterizations were fairly well-done, even the OC's. It was nice to not see a Mary-Sue fest. I enjoyed the fact that there was real conflict--it was an interesting take on Grindelwald.

There were some issues with the story though. Mainly, I thought Harry was too overpowered. Also, the Slytherin family curse, while unique to my knowledge, rubbed me the wrong way. It seemed to absolve Voldemort and the previous Slytherin heirs of any real personal responsibility for their actions.

On the whole though 4/5.

The sequel, on the other hand, I found atrocious.
Tenages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:43 PM   #57
Cnr456
Squib

I read this after reading a good amount of angsty stories, meaning this was a great change of pace. The family life aspect in addition to Harry's plot armor makes the challenges he faces gain a relaxed feel about them. While yes, there are significant portions of action that force the reader to be absorbed into the story Harry always comes out on top. Despite this, Altered Destinies is probably one of my favorite time travel fics.
Cnr456 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, author:dobbyelflord, complete, harry/oc, supernatural, suspense, time travel, timetravel