Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Bookclub
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 11-19-2016, 10:44 PM   #21
Jeram
Chief Warlock
Elder of Zion

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via AIM to Jeram
Those are great Joesman, but I really like these two (Dobby and Knockturn Alley):

Some epic names there.

Weird about Dobby having no pants.

---

Here are a few thoughts as I read through the book:

Ch 3:
Quote:
You had to hand it to them, thought Harry, as George took an ordinary hairpin from his pocket and started to pick the lock. "A lot of wizards think it's a waste of time, knowing this sort of Muggle trick", said Fred. "but we feel they're skills worth learning, even if they are a bit slow."
I love this sort of character building for Fred and George, precisely the sort we didn't get in the movies.

Quote:
'Yeah I've seen those things they think are gnomes," said Ron... 'Like fat little Father Christmases with fishing rods
So... I guess Ron knows who Father Christmas is!

[QUOTE]Ron’s school spellbooks were stacked untidily in a corner, next to a pile of comics that all seemed to feature The Adventures of Martin Miggs, the mad Muggle./QUOTE]
I want to read the comics of Martin Miggs.

From chapter 4:
Quote:
What Harry found most unusual about life at Ron’s, however, wasn’t the talking mir-ror or the clanking ghoul: It was the fact that everybody there seemed to like him
This sad line informs so much about Harry to me, to the point it's inspired similar lines I've used in my own fanfics.

Quote:
Harry, Ron, Fred, and George were planning to go up the hill to a small paddock the Weasleys owned. It was surrounded by trees that blocked it from view of the village below, meaning that they could practice Quidditch there, as long as they didn’t fly too high.
I forgot about this... apparently the Weasleys own a bunch of land, including this "paddock".

Quote:
There was a thud of metal as Ginny’s cauldron went flying; Mr.Weasley had thrown himself at Mr. Malfoy, knocking him backward into a bookshelf. Dozens of heavy spellbooks came thundering down on all their heads; there was a yell of, “Get him, Dad!”from Fred or George;
Another great character beat.

He was no longer Neville, the shy Gryffindor. Now he was the great Ovinomancer, Neville the Sheep Lord. - Food for Thought

Profile: PC.net | FF.net | FW

Last edited by Jeram; 11-19-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Jeram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:29 AM   #22
Joe
Groundskeeper
The Reminiscent Exile

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 1,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeram View Post
Weird about Dobby having no pants.
Yeah, I thought that, too. I guess the illustrator has gone for comedic effect, but anyone coming up those stairs is going to see two solid inches of elf schlong they didn't plan on seeing.

Becoming a writer is a polite way of saying you've chosen alcoholism as a career.

- Joe Ducks

Follow me on Twitter

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 11-20-2016, 08:29 PM   #23
IAmJustAnotherGuy
Seventh Year

Lockhart mentions being an honorary member of the Dark Force Defense League. I can't help but think of them as a team of super wizards but, since Gilderoy is a member, it probably is a big farce.
IAmJustAnotherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:10 AM   #24
Ghosthree3
Unspeakable

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmJustAnotherGuy View Post
Lockhart mentions being an honorary member of the Dark Force Defense League. I can't help but think of them as a team of super wizards but, since Gilderoy is a member, it probably is a big farce.
I think the key word here is honorary.
Ghosthree3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #25
Amythyr
Squib

Pokemon Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmJustAnotherGuy View Post
I also wondered about that. It is weird that Dark Force Defense league was never mentioned again in book 6 and 7(during war)
Amythyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #26
Shinysavage
Unspeakable
Madman With A Box

High Score: 2,296
Caught up to this today, better late than never!

Chapter 4: At Flourish and Blotts
Quote:
a tiny junk shop full of broken wands, wonky brass scales and old cloaks covered in potion stains they found Percy, deeply immersed in a small and deeply boring book called Prefects Who Gained Power
Two things here. First of all, you can buy broken wands. Interesting on a couple of levels - for a start, I know people have wondered how the Weasleys can afford Ollivanders wands. Well, maybe they didn't. Maybe they went to a junk shop and found some second hand ones in decent condition. Secondly, if the wands are properly broken...why would you want to buy them? Ok, Hagrid manages some form of magic with his, but when Ron's breaks later in the book it's essentially useless every time it's mentioned. I'm picturing apprentice wandmakers practicing their craft by trying to repair them.
The second thing is the very smart foreshadowing of Tom Riddle, later in the book - a prefect who gained a whole lot of power.

Quote:
'Course, he's very ambitious, Percy, he's got it all planned out...he wants to be Minister of Magic...'
Shame how that turned out...

Quote:
He straightened up and found himself face to face with Draco Malfoy, who was wearing his usual sneer.
Well, it's not quite a lopsided smirk...

Chapter 5: The Whomping Willow

Quote:
The Dursleys haven't given me pocket money in about six years
So not since he was six. Begging the question: what for? He doesn't expect them to get him anything for his eleventh birthday, and fifty pence is considered unusually generous, so what would they have been giving him pocket money for at that age? Maybe this was before he started doing accidental magic, and they treated him a bit better? Or it's just exaggeration for effect, of course.

Quote:
And even under-age wizards are allowed to use magic if it's a real emergency, section nineteen or something of the Restriction of Thingy...
I know it was a kangaroo court, but it's a shame no-one remembered this clause in OoTP, assuming Ron hasn't dreamed it up.

Chapter 9: The Writing on the Wall

Quote:
'I don't believe it, I'm still eight inches short...'...'I only need another two inches, go on...'
Probably not the last time Ron and Hermione have had this exchange...

Quote:
something happened that had never happened before. Hermione put up her hand.
History of Magic is so boring that even Hermione doesn't ask questions!

Quote:
But Harry, who had already heard of Slytherin house's reputation for turning out dark wizards...
Neat follow up to the discussion in the PS threads about why Harry rejected Slytherin.

Quote:
Snape said it was in a book called Moste Potente Potions
The way this is phrased suggests that it's literally the only book to feature the recipe for Polyjuice Potion, which would go a long way to explaining why so many wizards seem to lack knowledge of more advanced magic. If some things are only printed in one book in one location, how will they learn if it doesn't come up in their classes? Could also be used as a decent basis for the fanon tropes of family libraries and grimoires.

Quote:
'I think,' said Hermione, 'that if we made it sound as though we were just interested in the theory, we might stand a chance...'
This is exactly what Riddle does with Slughorn. Interesting - maybe accidental - parallel.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:21 PM   #27
torrent56
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaegar I View Post
Personally, I don't quite get why Vernon decides to lock Harry up like that as punishment? I get he was really mad at Harry for botching an important dinner and lying about ability to use Magic outside of school. But does he remember that:

a. Sooner or later, somebody from the Wizarding World was probably going to show up, if nothing else to explain why Harry didn't go to school. And he does remember that half-giant that bent his gun like a pretzel, right?

b. One of his neighbors noticing the bars on Harry's windows. Either Harry really was built up as the Worst Kid Ever by the Dursleys, or the neighbors are all assholes. Shouldn't at least one person have found it the least bit odd Vernon would suddenly feel the need to bar Harry's windows.

c. Harry going to Hogwarts is actually a good thing for Vernon. It meant nine months with no Harry Potter, and it's not like he can use any of the Magic he learned outside of school anyway.

Btw, Figg is really bad at her job. How did she not notice the bars on Harry's windows? Maybe Rowling only decided later she would be a spy for Dumbledore, but still.
Personally, I don't quite get why Vernon decides to lock Harry up like that as punishment? I get he was really mad at Harry for botching an important dinner and lying about ability to use Magic outside of school. But does he remember that:
Vernon isn’t exactly the smartest person out there even if he does have a seemingly high-paying job. I think it was just something where the consequences were never thought through. The neighbours are probably of the same type of people as themselves I guess, meaning they tried not to mind other people’s businesses. It could also be that yes, the Dursleys did tell their neighbours that Harry is someone dangerous as suggested in chapter 1 of OotP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT View Post
And to think Arthur's usually shown as much meeker than Molly.
I think Arthur is generally an easier-going person than Molly and is far less bossy towards other people, but when someone triggered his nerves like Lucius did here he could be much scarier than Molly ever was.
Quote:
This is pretty interesting, although probably biased.
Probably is biased, although I believe if wizards only marry pure-bloods or those very close to it then the whole wizarding community would become hopelessly inbred just like the Gaunts shown in HBP.

As for Bill and Percy getting 12 OWLs apiece, yes it could be just a mistake as redm94 suggested. However I guess it’s possible for Bill and Percy to sit the extra exams without taking the classes for them or just studying by themselves, meaning there was no need for them to apply for time-turners. We don’t know exactly what grades they got for each of their OWLs (Percy getting outstanding NEWTs doesn’t mean he got great grades for all of his OWLs, he could have dropped the subjects where he only scored an A on them) so it’s possible that the fact they didn’t get the class time meant they suffered in the subject and only scored As on them which would still count towards the 12 OWLs they achieved.
Quote:
I love this sort of character building for Fred and George, precisely the sort we didn't get in the movies.
Yes and it’s a shame Rowling didn’t explore the theme of using Muggle solutions to overcome problems that couldn’t be solved by magic later on in the series.
Quote:
I want to read the comics of Martin Miggs.
So do I, although for some people Ron reading it means that he hates Muggles.
Quote:
Another great character beat.
Yes, for me this scenes shows there is a great deal of similarity between Ron and Draco and their respective fathers here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysavage View Post
Two things here. First of all, you can buy broken wands. Interesting on a couple of levels - for a start, I know people have wondered how the Weasleys can afford Ollivanders wands. Well, maybe they didn't. Maybe they went to a junk shop and found some second hand ones in decent condition. Secondly, if the wands are properly broken...why would you want to buy them? Ok, Hagrid manages some form of magic with his, but when Ron's breaks later in the book it's essentially useless every time it's mentioned. I'm picturing apprentice wandmakers practicing their craft by trying to repair them.
The second thing is the very smart foreshadowing of Tom Riddle, later in the book - a prefect who gained a whole lot of power.
I thought the books made it clear that a wizard could perform the most effective when they have a wand that chose them so it’s unhelpful for the Weasley children to have to go with second-hand wands. It’s really better if they sacrifice on other things like books, robes, cauldron, etc.
Well when a wand is broken or splintered like Ron’s here or Harry’s in DH it couldn’t really be repaired. Perhaps it’s talking about different degree of damage here? Like the wandmakers are only able to fix chipped wands or something like that?
Quote:
Shame how that turned out...
Yes and I think Ron is really more perceptive than people gave him credit for.
Quote:
I know it was a kangaroo court, but it's a shame no-one remembered this clause in OoTP, assuming Ron hasn't dreamed it up.
Ron does know what he is talking about here, Dumbledore and Hermione confirmed it during Harry’s trial in OotP and just after Harry’s arrival in Grimmauld Place.
I am sure the Ministry does know about it which was why they kept trying to claim Harry was not attacked by the Dementors when Harry casted the Patronus Charm so that clause wouldn’t apply.
Quote:
Probably not the last time Ron and Hermione have had this exchange...
True, although I don’t think it mattered in the end because they both had to do the exams on their own, and it doesn’t seem like homework marks matter one bit in the end.
Quote:
History of Magic is so boring that even Hermione doesn't ask questions!
Hermione would have read all the relevant sections of the textbooks beforehand and I am guessing all Binns did was to confirm what she has already read.
Quote:
The way this is phrased suggests that it's literally the only book to feature the recipe for Polyjuice Potion, which would go a long way to explaining why so many wizards seem to lack knowledge of more advanced magic. If some things are only printed in one book in one location, how will they learn if it doesn't come up in their classes?
I think it also goes to show how broken and backward the wizarding society is. Many things we take for granted like accessible knowledge about all possible subjects of interest are simply not available or remain very well-hidden.
Quote:
This is exactly what Riddle does with Slughorn. Interesting - maybe accidental - parallel.
Hermione definitely has the cunning needed to be in Slytherin although I think her cleverness is used in a much less selfish manner in general than the Slytherins. Also it goes to show that Hermione’s crush on Lockhart really isn’t such a huge deal as she knew it better to let it get in the way of manipulating Lockhart to do what she wanted.
torrent56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:42 AM   #28
BTT
Auror

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrent56 View Post
True, although I don’t think it mattered in the end because they both had to do the exams on their own, and it doesn’t seem like homework marks matter one bit in the end.
...I wish I could be as innocent as you again.
BTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:25 AM   #29
Shinysavage
Unspeakable
Madman With A Box

Quote:
It's heartwarming, isn't it?
Old 11-26-2016, 07:23 PM   #30
torrent56
First Year

Quote:
OK so are you saying Ron and Harry got help with some of the subjects through reading through Hermione's notes or her correcting them their homework? If so, then I agree as it happens all the time between friends with different levels of academic achievement at school. Otherwise, what are you trying to say exactly? Like what Hermione actually does their homework?
torrent56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:31 PM   #31
NuitTombee
Chief Warlock

He was implying them talking about the length of his penis.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #32
Shinysavage
Unspeakable
Madman With A Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrent56 View Post
OK so are you saying Ron and Harry got help with some of the subjects through reading through Hermione's notes or her correcting them their homework? If so, then I agree as it happens all the time between friends with different levels of academic achievement at school. Otherwise, what are you trying to say exactly? Like what Hermione actually does their homework?
I think this is genuinely the sweetest thing I've ever seen on this site.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:37 AM   #33
phazer11
Third Year

Send a message via MSN to phazer11 Send a message via Skype™ to phazer11
Been frantically trying to recover my files for the past week in preparation for turning in final projects for my courses after my SSD failed day before Thanksgiving. As such I was going through files and noticed my Chamber of Secrets Sins file. Now this isn't the complete one just the initial .txt file I made and I don't know if I managed to get the .docx file in my latest attempt but if I do I'll post the rest (unfortunately I haven't been able to find my PS ones which I didn't get a chance to post), hopefully I'll find the ones I'd edited to be in the form of "Cinema Sins" but for HP Books.

__________________________________________________ ________________

Chamber of Secrets Notes/Potter Sins

Chapter 2
Quote:
‘Dobby heard tell,’ he said hoarsely, ‘that Harry Potter met the Dark Lord for a second time, just weeks ago … that Harry Potter escaped yet again.’
From where? Draco sharing the latest hogwarts gossip? If so makes you wonder why more people didn't see right through Fudge when he was smearing Harry and Dumbledore in OotP and according to Hagrid most believed he wasn't gone in the first place. Then again people are stupid and believe what makes their lives easier.

Quote:
‘What terrible things?’ said Harry at once. ‘Who’s plotting them?
Dobby made a funny choking noise and then banged his head madly against the wall.
Dobby is better at keeping secrets than Hagrid

Quote:
‘No,’ croaked Harry. ‘Please … they’ll kill me …’
'Dobby must do it, sir'
Dobby is evil, all hail Implord Dobby

Quote:
‘You didn’t tell us you weren’t allowed to use magic outside school,’
Again it occurs to me that Petunia should have known that Harry would not be allowed to do magic outside school, after all her sister shouldn't have been able to. Then again, in PS Petunia mentions Lily doing magic and bringing frogspawn so, JK revisionism?

Chapter 3
Quote:
‘What’s been going on?’ said Ron. ‘Why haven’t you been answering my letters? I’ve asked you to stay about twelve times, and then Dad came home and said you’d got an official warning for using magic in front of Muggles …’
So it takes a letter for using magic outside of school to get Ron (or Hermione) to come and see what's going on with Harry, not the mysterious lack of replies or anything. I mean you would think the whole thing with the stone would be an amazing team-building excercise if nothing else. #fastfriends

Quote:
‘A lot of wizards think it’s a waste of time, knowing this sort of Muggle trick,’ said Fred, ‘but we feel they’re skills worth learning, even if they are a bit slow.’
Yes, and you would think Harry would want to take lessons.

Quote:
'You’re driving too far west, Fred,’ he added, pointing at a compass on the dashboard. Fred twiddled the steering wheel.
The Weasley Mobile has a compass

Quote:
‘Arthur and I have been worried about you, too. Just last night we were saying we’d come and get you ourselves if you hadn’t written back to Ron by Friday.'
Arthur and Molly were going to come and get Harry apparently.

Quote:
It was small and leathery-looking, with a large, knobbly, bald head exactly like a potato.
Haha Potatohead

Quote:
‘Well, dear, I think you’ll find that he would be quite within the law to do that, even if, er, he maybe would have done better to, um, tell his wife the truth … There’s a loophole in the law, you’ll find … as long as he wasn’t intending to fly the car, the fact that the car could fly wouldn’t –’
Arthur is corrupt

Chapter 4
Quote:
‘Letters from school,’ said Mr Weasley, passing Harry and Ron identical envelopes of yellowish parchment, addressed in green ink. ‘Dumbledore already knows you’re here, Harry – doesn’t miss a trick, that man. You two’ve got them, too,’ he added, as Fred and George ambled in, still in their pyjamas.
Hogwart's tracking system and Dumbledore are apparently better than Santa Clauss as I noted in PS notes but never posted. I bet Dumbledore also knows when Harry's sleeping.

Quote:
Ron’s old Shooting Star was often outstripped by passing butterflies.
Haha

Quote:
Harry said nothing. He felt a bit awkward. Stored in an underground vault at Gringotts in London was a small fortune that his parents had left him.
White-Wizard-Problems

Quote:
‘I was lookin’ fer a Flesh-Eatin’ Slug Repellent,’ growled Hagrid. ‘They’re ruinin’ the school cabbages. Yer not on yer own?’
Flesh-Eating slugs apparently eat cabbages

[Quote]When he finally let go of Harry’s hand, Harry could hardly feel his fingers.[Quote]
Apparently Lockhart has a nice grip

Quote:
Mr Weasley had a cut lip and Mr Malfoy had been hit in the eye by an Encyclopedia of Toadstools
Encyclopedia of Toadstools

Quote:
Harry couldn’t see how eight people, six large trunks, two owls and a rat were going to fit into one small Ford Anglia. He had reckoned, of course, without the special features which Mr Weasley had added.
Almost as good as Hagrid's coat pockets

Last edited by phazer11; 12-04-2016 at 04:44 AM.
phazer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:43 AM   #34
Rhaegar I
Unspeakable

You know, I once read a very elaborate Theory behind Malfoy was really planning and what Dobby really knew.

I forgot where I read it and the exact details, but it essentially says Malfoy was going to give the Diary to Harry. He outright ordered Dobby to spy on Harry's letters to find out when Harry would be at Diagon Alley. Malfoy would then covertly leave the Diary with Harry. Dobby was super concerned because he feared Voldemort's Diary was going to do something really bad to Harry. Malfoy then changed his mind after his fight with Arthur, when he decided to give it to Ginny as an impulsive revenge against the Weasleys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorah Mormont
Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honourably. And Rhaegar lived.
Rhaegar I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #35
Blinker
Fourth Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by phazer11 View Post

Yes, and you would think Harry would want to take lessons.
To judge from PoA he does, chapter 1 : "Harry had crept downstairs, picked the lock on the cupboard under the stairs, grabbed some of his books, and hidden them in his bedroom"

He's actually a pretty resourceful guy
Blinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up